Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Thanks, just got hooked up with a Realtor. Now its just hurry up and wait game. If we would have tried this 6 months ago i had the chance to buy a 3 bed 2 bath X2 duplex for 120,000.00. Of course we more than likely would not have got a loan at that time either. lol

Today I got one of the models that I have wanted to do since around 1965. The problem was there was no kit until Gunze-Sangyo did a curbside, which I own but have not built. Mainly because it is curbside and it is not an easy kit, especially for an engineless model. For the past several years I have wanted a Model Factory Hiro Cobra Daytona Coupe and I didn't give much of a look at the Historic Racing Miniatures resin kit, both pricey but the MFH is quite expensive. After seeing a few photos of the HRM kit on another thread here, I decided to take a better look. I found that the MFH had a lot of white metal parts, which to me translates into a bit of work to clean up and polish before painting. The MFH also has a higher level of what I consider invisible details that are also more effort to build correctly. The HRM is all resin and up to Harold's usual level of craftsmanship, beautifully mastered and cast. Plenty of detail and all resin, which makes building smoother. The windshield and windows are regular plastic or appear to be, much easier than vacuum formed pieces, a real plus. The only thing that must be scratch built is the air box that surrounds the Weber carburetors, not too difficult.

So, after deciding that the HRM was the best bet for me, I ordered one and had it in 4 days! Which I always expect the 6 month wait deal, and was pleasantly surprised that Red Frog Hobbies had the kit in stock and mailed it right out. I am going to use parts of the Gunze-Sangyo kit while building the HRM but should eventually end up with both built, one detailed and one curbside. I'm thinking the 64 and 65 LeMans cars, different colors of blue and different schemes, so each should look unique. I also bought, last year, the HRM update kit for the Gunze Daytona Coupe, which replaces the white metal parts and includes a resin frame, in the Gunze kit you are supposed to build the frame from tubing provided. So, the Gunze should go together easier.

All I need now is to clear the bench of projects I have been puttering with and I can start on the cool little Cobra coupes :) That means several months from now I can get going! I still need some more detailing parts from R&B Motion to do this right.

Thanks, just got hooked up with a Realtor. Now its just hurry up and wait game. If we would have tried this 6 months ago i had the chance to buy a 3 bed 2 bath X2 duplex for 120,000.00. Of course we more than likely would not have got a loan at that time either. lol

Ask your realtor! If you've been qualified for $100,000, mortgage companies allow you to include 80% of the rental as income. So you may just be able to buy a $120,000 duplex due to the rental income.

Today I got one of the models that I have wanted to do since around 1965. The problem was there was no kit until Gunze-Sangyo did a curbside, which I own but have not built. Mainly because it is curbside and it is not an easy kit, especially for an engineless model. For the past several years I have wanted a Model Factory Hiro Cobra Daytona Coupe and I didn't give much of a look at the Historic Racing Miniatures resin kit, both pricey but the MFH is quite expensive. After seeing a few photos of the HRM kit on another thread here, I decided to take a better look. I found that the MFH had a lot of white metal parts, which to me translates into a bit of work to clean up and polish before painting. The MFH also has a higher level of what I consider invisible details that are also more effort to build correctly. The HRM is all resin and up to Harold's usual level of craftsmanship, beautifully mastered and cast. Plenty of detail and all resin, which makes building smoother. The windshield and windows are regular plastic or appear to be, much easier than vacuum formed pieces, a real plus. The only thing that must be scratch built is the air box that surrounds the Weber carburetors, not too difficult.

So, after deciding that the HRM was the best bet for me, I ordered one and had it in 4 days! Which I always expect the 6 month wait deal, and was pleasantly surprised that Red Frog Hobbies had the kit in stock and mailed it right out. I am going to use parts of the Gunze-Sangyo kit while building the HRM but should eventually end up with both built, one detailed and one curbside. I'm thinking the 64 and 65 LeMans cars, different colors of blue and different schemes, so each should look unique. I also bought, last year, the HRM update kit for the Gunze Daytona Coupe, which replaces the white metal parts and includes a resin frame, in the Gunze kit you are supposed to build the frame from tubing provided. So, the Gunze should go together easier.

All I need now is to clear the bench of projects I have been puttering with and I can start on the cool little Cobra coupes :) That means several months from now I can get going! I still need some more detailing parts from R&B Motion to do this right.

Where did you order the HRM kit at? I also have the Gunze kit but i want to make it full detail using his parts and i also want to buy his Daytona kit pretty bad!

Ask your realtor! If you've been qualified for $100,000, mortgage companies allow you to include 80% of the rental as income. So you may just be able to buy a $120,000 duplex due to the rental income.

Good to know! I will be talking to our realtor tomorrow about some houses.

James, I ordered the HRM Daytona Coupe kit from Red Frog Hobbies. For some reason, maybe my old version of Word, I can't post links. I also bought the HRM update kit for the Gunze kit from Red Frog last year, along with some other HRM parts. The HRM update kit for the Gunze kit has an engine block and tranny but not a complete engine. It also does not have any of the under hood items, like inner fenders, radiators and duct work for the radiators or firewall pieces. Basically, the kit replaces the rubber and white metal parts and provides a resin frame to take the place of the built it yourself frame in the Gunze kit. Definitely an improvement but it would be hard to get to the level of the HRM Daytona kit with just the update applied to a Gunze.

The HRM complete Daytona Coupe kit is for sure worth the money, very high quality and gives you everything needed to make a super nice coupe with engine, etc. Not a lot in the way of instructions but some color pics of a detailed buildup and some written guidance. Should be workable without much difficulty.

I picked up a set of the AMT parts pack Polyglass GT's at Hobby Lobby yesterday and went back to get the second pack today and they were gone. :( But at least I still got my one pack, they are such nice tires. I almost want to build a muscle car right now just so I can use 'em!

James, I have one of the Ferrari 250 GTO V-12 engine kits from HRM. Very nice kit. I got mine with a purchase from another modeler that was selling lots of stuff and I bought a Fujimi 250 GTO from him and he included the HRM engine kit. That's another kit I need to build, I think I have what I need for it.

You might want to take a look at Vintage Racing Motorsports for some super decals for road race cars. That's the decals that come in the Daytona Coupe kit and they are the best quality. The owner of VRM is a member on this board, great to deal with.

<snip> You might want to take a look at Vintage Racing Motorsports for some super decals for road race cars. That's the decals that come in the Daytona Coupe kit and they are the best quality. The owner of VRM is a member on this board, great to deal with.

Hi Bill. I'm guessing you ment to say Vintage Racing Miniatures instead of Motorsports, http://www.v-r-m.com

My wife seems to luck out and she found an AMT '57 Corvette Gasser(open, slightly started, but seems to all be there) and a Testor's 1/48th P-51D Mustang(sealed inside) at a local thrift store. Was at the same store just days before her looking for work shirts and, of course, no models...go figure. :rolleyes:

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...