Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Fairly common practice ~ especially in those lean years ~ among the model making companies was to take on general, industrial injection-molding work from outside sources. Between model runs, they might be producing appliance parts or components for various consumer goods.

If an outside job required plastic pellets of a specific color, and the model-maker ended up with a bunch of left-over pellets, it was not uncommon to see them find their way into a kit.

I think that's where some of the crazy swirled multi-color kit bodies came along, too.

I can just see the company awarding an employee some kind of fine-dining night out for coming up with that idea! 'Hey, boss! Here's an idea for getting rid of all those left-over pellets!'

I think you are very close to why these bodies are molded in different colors. I wonder if MPC was doing any Promo work back then. I say this because after they get the extruder up and running they do not like to shut them off( they run at a very hot temp and it takes hours to cool and clean out the hardened plastic). This explains the swirl color plastic. They just dump a different color pellet in the hoppers. The different colors of kits just may have been what was on sale or was left over from promo work or as you have said before "outside molding".

Every notice all the different colors under the chrome platting ?

Got one of these today. I'm an absolute Shelby nut.

amt-1967-gt350-shelby.jpg

Nice kit. Builds up pretty good.

Just opened mine last night and the front and rear sections are not even close to fitting, way too much work to get them to line up right. Tossing mine in the for sale pile.....sucks because i was excited about it too.

Beautiful Cobra what scale is it???

It's 1/24 Carl, according to the box. It's beautifully detailed; flocking, working steering, suspension, seat belts, engine wiring and even a wix decal on the remote filter... go figure :rolleyes: By far the nicest in their line up, wish their '66 F100 that I picked up a few years ago had this level of detail. Guess I like it even more because it isn't blue like every other one... B)

mike

Saw a "toy & train show" on my way to buy the Sunday paper, stopped in. Few if any models this time but a guy with lots of Hot Wheels had a '79 and a '91 Corvette promo, near-mint conditions with boxes, for only $5 each. They're both mine now.

Two N600's from Motor City Resins and some casters from Shapeways.

IMG_1405.jpg

One of the Fords will replace the Louisville cab on the race car hauler and will look like Mr. Shelby's did:

URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/landman2/media/Models/b2d41b10-797f-11e4-a97c-19f7196f55f7_Cobra-Transport-9.jpg.html]b2d41b10-797f-11e4-a97c-19f7196f55f7_Cob

The other will hopefully become a GMC B-7000 and look like this: (I hope)

1963-B-7000-b.jpg

A few more added to the stash in the past few weeks,
DSCN6461-vi.jpg
All are complete except for the Mustang which is missing the glass. The dark chassis is from a Revell Challenger, which I got for the Hemi. The blue one is from an AMT pro street nova, and the engine is from a Revell GT500 5.4l

DSCN6469-vi.jpg
Sealed Earnhardt combo kit and some extra Cragar SS with tires

Two packages in the mail yesterday when I got home. My wife always says "you've got presents".

First, a friend of mine made the white scallop decals I need for my Scout II build on his Alps printer. They arrived and look super!

Second, a small package from Chief Joseph with 4 packs of his new GM door handles. And they are just great. No more molded in blobs on my models!

Just got the Testor's / Bburago Jaguar metal kit. Kinda lumpy but it was free. Owner of the hobby shop put it on the table where we were hanging out doing builds and said who ever wants it can have it. It was already started with the body primed in grey. No one wanted it so like the sad ugly puppy at the pound, I felt bad for it and took it home.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...