Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Oh you lucky dog! You may need a foot of styrene rod to fill in those mirror, antenna, and spotlight mounting holes, and there will be hours of amusement removing louvers and fins, but at least the builder didn't slather paint all over them. You'll have some really choice cars when you're done! How about some build threads on the restorations?

Suddenly it's 1960!  Today's haul from the local flea market.  That sad Danbury Mint 53 Buick Skylark was only $3. Bought it mostly for the nice wire wheels/white sidewalls and other parts.  The Gold Rush van is complete.  The 1960 Ford pickup is a real rarity - the gas cans, tools etc. were in the bed under the tonneau cover. And nothing had ever been glued down.  Couldn't believe it.

Img_9584.jpg

Img_9585.jpg

Img_9586.jpg

Img_9588.jpg

Img_9589.jpg

The '60 Ford truck alone is worth the price of admission!

Steve

Oh you lucky dog! You may need a foot of styrene rod to fill in those mirror, antenna, and spotlight mounting holes, and there will be hours of amusement removing louvers and fins, but at least the builder didn't slather paint all over them. You'll have some really choice cars when you're done! How about some build threads on the restorations?

I'll try to do some resto threads, thanks!  I was really happy with this find.  No paint and the builder didn't shave off any emblems either. While I was taking the photos, I dropped the Ford pickup hood on the floor. Both chrome louvers popped right off.  I hope the old glue is as weak on everything else!

Steve:  the "price of admission" for all those was $40.  I almost broke my wrist getting my wallet out. And didn't even negotiate with the seller, which I always do at the flea market.

I'll try to do some resto threads, thanks!  I was really happy with this find.  No paint and the builder didn't shave off any emblems either. While I was taking the photos, I dropped the Ford pickup hood on the floor. Both chrome louvers popped right off.  I hope the old glue is as weak on everything else!

Steve:  the "price of admission" for all those was $40.  I almost broke my wrist getting my wallet out. And didn't even negotiate with the seller, which I always do at the flea market.

Now  this is the deal of the week. I sure hope the chrome addon falls off the grill for you also. Seems every kid glued that thing on these trucks. 

Suddenly it's 1960!  Today's haul from the local flea market.  That sad Danbury Mint 53 Buick Skylark was only $3. Bought it mostly for the nice wire wheels/white sidewalls and other parts.  The Gold Rush van is complete.  The 1960 Ford pickup is a real rarity - the gas cans, tools etc. were in the bed under the tonneau cover. And nothing had ever been glued down.  Couldn't believe it.

Img_9584.jpg

Img_9585.jpg

Img_9586.jpg

Img_9588.jpg

Img_9589.jpg

Mike....That Ford pickup is awesome...!   Yucky finds.

Just a note for anybody who wonders about the MPC Gold Rush van - it's custom only, and does NOT include a stock front grille/bumper, wheels, etc.  To build it stock, you'd need to rob your parts box or another 1978 (I think) Dodge van kit. Or you might be able to find the stuff from your favorite eBay parts seller...heh!

Gold Rush does have some good interior parts, like a couple of bench seats and a table for the rear area.  The goofy IMSA side flares and "vacuum cleaner" front pan are all just add-on parts.  Except for the missing stock parts it's just a typical 70's MPC Dodge van.

There's a pretty recent thread about this kit in the Reviews. Adam Rehorn wrote a great, hilarious review of it on his blog. While there, check out his other kit reviews:

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/mpc-124-gold-rush-custom-dodge-van-oob/

A fresh batch of paint from MCW!

There's a new addition to their product that's kind of nice.

Each jar now includes a mixing ball!

I really hated having to open them up & stir them to get all of the solids off of the bottom!

They also included a note informing me that they now carry a line of military colors as well.

Not my bag, but it may interest the military & dio guys.

photo DSCN4996_zpsgm958ohi.jpg

Colors are, left to right:

1956 Corvette "Aztec Copper"

1967 Plymouth "Mauve"

1966 Pontiac "Blue Charcoal"

1958 Chevrolet "Silver Blue"

1958 Chevrolet "Fathom Blue"

1958 Chevrolet "Aegean Turquoise"

1959 Chevrolet "Crown Sapphire"

1964 Chevrolet "Meadow Green"

1967 Ford "Lime Gold"

Where do I start? :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Great looking paint line up

Fire up the old airbrush and let's see some test colours...the blues look awesome!!!

I usually don't mess with testing Scott.

Most of these colors are ear marked for particular builds & I don't want to waste a drop of paint unless it's going on a body. :)

The "Lime Gold" will be used on a '67 Galaxie, the "Blue Charcoal" on a '66 Bonneville & the "Aztec Copper" on a '63 Fury.

Believe it or not, the '56 Corvette color was the same code as 1963 Plymouth "Coppertone".

Most of the blues & turquoises are just generic colors that I have yet to decide what I will use them on.

I'll have to find a use for the "Crown Sapphire" soon.

It's a beautiful color!

Steve

I'll have to find a use for the "Crown Sapphire" soon.

It's a beautiful color!

Steve

The Johan '60 De Soto would look really nice in that color Steve, and would be right up your alley! That is if you haven't built too many of them already!!:D

The Johan '60 De Soto would look really nice in that color Steve, and would be right up your alley! That is if you haven't built too many of them already!!:D

I already built mine, but it's one that I'd like to re-do....... someday!:P

I doubt that I'll wait that long to use it.

Usually a color for particular build just kind of "hits" me out of the blue.

Other times it takes me weeks to decide on a color & many times when I spend that much time thinking about it, I wind up not being totally pleased with the choice.

funny how things like that work sometimes.

I guess the obvious choice would be a '59 Gm car being as it's from that year.

The only '59 GM I have yet to build is a '59 Olds..........Hmmmm. <_<

Steve

I went with a friend to visit a hobby shop near where he lives, and these followed me home. 

The two NASCAR kits were from my friend for some Slixx decals I needed donor kits for, the rest all came from the hobby shop. It was well worth the drive not only for the visit, but to bring home some kits shops in my area never even stocked. I know I will be making a few more trips there, I still have THREE Meng F350s in the back room with my name on them!! :):o

Picked up a Meng F350 and Revell F350 today when my trip to buy a Revell 83 Hurst Olds failed. The Revell F350 is my favorite kit ever, just so many options. The Meng F 350 could replace the Revell if the price was better. 

The new decals with this release of the Revell F 350 will go perfect with a long time project that I've been working on,

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...