Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

7 minutes ago, highway said:

This all followed me home while taking a friend to the hobby shop for his birthday. The MCG photoetch are for the Revell 83 Hurst Olds and Meng F350. 

20180303_195355.thumb.jpg.e52da9714c1e7c5207a296eb73b36629.jpg

That container ship is pretty cool, I like that,  you should get started on it.

Local toy show. Big score--makes up for coming home empty handed last month. Two mint AMT '60 Corvettes, $8 each (one will become a '61). Built '72 GTO that should make a great weekend "glue bomb rescue" project a la my recent '69 Charger. Built '66 Wildcat I can use for something. Built glue bomb-ish Mustang II (no wheels or tires, but good and complete body) I can do something with. Built EARLY ISSUE AMT '72 Nova, without all the roof problems that all the reissues have had--that one's worth a full rebuild. Couple good sets of tires, and about a dozen useful decal sheets. Boo-ya! 

18 hours ago, highway said:

This all followed me home while taking a friend to the hobby shop for his birthday. The MCG photoetch are for the Revell 83 Hurst Olds and Meng F350. 

20180303_195355.thumb.jpg.e52da9714c1e7c5207a296eb73b36629.jpg

I've built the Titanic with the LED lights (and as you can see, it's 1/1000 scale little brother). It turned out really nice. I love the kit. 

IMG_2804.JPG

On 3/2/2018 at 1:43 PM, Anglia105E said:

This arrived in the post today.... a second (green) Tamiya Morgan to go with my (yellow) Tamiya Morgan. Green one is for restoration, no wheels apart from the spare on the boot lid and £10 GBP on Ebay. Quite a good paint job on the green one so I won't need to repaint it. Got some chrome wire spoked wheels ready to go on the car, from a Tamiya Jaguar MK II.

David

101_4831.JPG

The steering on the wrong side! ? Just kidding. Both cars look pretty nice.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, BIGTRUCK said:

I was at Dupage also,got a few items but the MPC Californian was something I have been looking for . Its unbuilt except the lights on the side of roof were installed, and it went for a good deal.

image.png.2bdda01ec7213ce6f50f592fe631b8b6.png

I didn't see you there Ken, but it looks like you got a bunch of good stuff. I didn't see Dean there either, although my buddy said that he was there. Maybe I'll see you at the Cedarville Show this Sunday?

41 minutes ago, landman said:

A pile of goodies from shapeways. showing the AN fittings and LS3 OBX intake among others.

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

I saw some Shapeway parts the other night at our club meeting and I'll be getting some soon, even though all I really need is MORE motivation to finish some builds that I've got started.

19 minutes ago, High octane said:

I didn't see you there Ken, but it looks like you got a bunch of good stuff. I didn't see Dean there either, although my buddy said that he was there. Maybe I'll see you at the Cedarville Show this Sunday?

I drove there with Dean, Nick. I wont be at Cedarville (maybe) but Im going to Countryside the 18th

I got this off of E-Bay. I just built a 53 Corvette, and decided I wanted to do a gasser version of the same car. I picked this 55 kit,  because it has some drag parts in it. Now I need to decide if I want to do it with a high front end or a normal stance front. There are so many ways I could go, I have a Gibson small block that's injected. the parts pack 283 that was included in the deal, the motor in the kit or a big block. Plus injected or blown. So many choices, I think I'll take a nap.

20180306_103647[1].jpg

3 hours ago, Janne Herajärvi said:

_full.jpg

I have a question for anyone who might know.

I think that I already know the answer to this, but then again, I don't know everything! :D

I know that Round 2 has gotten heavily into the retro style boxes recently, but the original "Polyglas Gasser" was a Bonneville kit, correct?

I know that this version is the Catalina, but I'm relatively certain that there were no Catalina kits produced in '62.

Steve

11 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think that I already know the answer to this, but then again, I don't know everything! :D

I know that Round 2 has gotten heavily into the retro style boxes recently, but the original "Polyglas Gasser" was a Bonneville kit, correct?

I know that this version is the Catalina, but I'm relatively certain that there were no Catalina kits produced in '62.

Steve

Good question as my buddy from Colorado asked me that same question yesterday and I couldn't answer it.

Back in 1962 there was only a Bonneville kit. Both a hardtop and a convertible. The Bonneville hardtop was reissued several times during the 60's. Including the original Polyglas Gasser. The '62 Catalina did not come along until Ertl tooled it up about twenty years ago. There is really no relationship between the original Bonneville kits and the later Catalinas. Other than they were both put out by AMT, and represent variations of '62 Pontiacs.

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

The original Polyglas Gasser was a MODIFIED reissue of the annual Bonneville hardtop.  The radical Styline custom parts from the original hardtop annual were not included in the Gasser; it only contained the milder custom bits as found in the Bonneville convertible annual.

Here is a stock Polyglas Gasser, built basically out-of-the-box with the exception (ironically) of the Polyglas tires.    

AMT 62 Pontiac Bonneville HT (2).JPG

Edited by pack rat

15 hours ago, Janne Herajärvi said:

eBay is keeping me poor :D

Tell me about it. On the bright side, Round2 is now CERTAIN to re-release this kit, since I finally just got a near-mint original:

5aa081a119edf_allstars32.jpg.180a26a9991e400a112f4500fd458cd5.jpg

5aa081a41a897_allstars32a.jpg.c99977ece9a5c9bec72a58b341d41b6b.jpg

Should build it stock, but then again I do have an unfinished All Stars '40 sedan I could cast up the wheels and hubcaps from...;)

ETA: AMT goofed - Note that the box art calls it a V-8 - but there's no "V8" emblem on the headlight bar in the kit and the box art, plus the molded-in engine bottom looks more like a four-banger.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

11 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Back in 1962 there was only a Bonneville kit. Both a hardtop and a convertible. The Bonneville hardtop was reissued several times during the 60's. Including the original Polyglas Gasser. The '62 Catalina did not come along until Ertl tooled it up about twenty years ago. There is really no relationship between the original Bonneville kits and the later Catalinas. Other than they were both put out by AMT, and represent variations of '62 Pontiacs.

8 hours ago, pack rat said:

The original Polyglas Gasser was a MODIFIED reissue of the annual Bonneville hardtop.  The radical Styline custom parts from the original hardtop annual were not included in the Gasser; it only contained the milder custom bits as found in the Bonneville convertible annual.  

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I was pretty sure of this as well.

The only real reason that I brought the subject up is that I found it a little deceiving of Round 2 to use this packaging.

I wouldn't want anybody to think that Round 2 has suddenly resurrected the '62 Bonneville kit.

It made me do a double take the first time that I saw this new box.

I have one of the original '62 Bonneville kits in the annual box, not the Polyglas Gasser one, so I wasn't completely sure of the history of it.

By the way, I love your Bonneville Mike!

Steve

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Tell me about it. On the bright side, Round2 is now CERTAIN to re-release this kit, since I finally just got a near-mint original:

5aa081a119edf_allstars32.jpg.180a26a9991e400a112f4500fd458cd5.jpg

5aa081a41a897_allstars32a.jpg.c99977ece9a5c9bec72a58b341d41b6b.jpg

Should build it stock, but then again I do have an unfinished All Stars '40 sedan I could cast up the wheels and hubcaps from...;)

ETA: AMT goofed - Note that the box art calls it a V-8 - but there's no "V8" emblem on the headlight bar in the kit and the box art, plus the molded-in engine bottom looks more like a four-banger.

I wish Round 2 would reissue more of these 1/32 scale kits. The '32 and '40 Ford and '60 Thunderbird are all high on my want list. I love the fact that the '32 in this series was a three-window coupe, rather than a five-window like AMT's larger 1/25 scale kit. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...