Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

A remarkably clean SMP '60 Imperial for not-insane money...

Image result for SMP 3-in-1 Kit 1960 Imperial

...and the last of the vintage Merit race-car kits I wanted to complete that part of the collection (all to be built...or rebuilt...by the way).

Image result for MERIT 1/24 FERRARI 1956 FORMULA ONE     Image result for MERIT 1/24 FERRARI 1956 FORMULA ONE

1 hour ago, kelson said:

After a decade of trying on the auction site,i finally have one!:D:QWNX2020.thumb.JPG.826ce511b760ad9634ff606db5448fdd.JPG

Congratulations! It took me several years of eBay stalking to find mine, and then it took me about 30 hours of careful polishing to get it looking as good as yours does right now. (I really ought to finish that thing up soon. All the hard work is done, after all.) 

66Skylark101.jpg.b2c975483939c7e77bc4333818cc0037.jpg

66Skylark119.jpg.24e9d5b24f5fb756eee2454a168eaec0.jpg

image.png.8bac8ae429b1457c9258b3c8f700a521.png

I spent a perfect day at the Diversified Scalerz Model Car Meet today.  It was held in the party room at this Hobby Lobby.... actually this is the show diorama that these crazy but lovable guys built for the subtheme!  Friggin amazing down to trash cans and the proper number of handicap parking spots.  This one will reappear at NNL East this coming spring!   

The show did have 25 vendor tables, and no shortage of goodies.  New kit vendors were there with discounted kits, and some of the tables were rented by hobbyists thinning their collections.  This is my favorite kind of vendor, where things that you don't see often show up and at reasonable prices... So what did Tom get?

image.png.e2e8d2f524d2493fc2481501e093ceb6.png

Yes, I am still on my Monogram early Ford kick.  The '30 coupe and '29 pickup came from a local dealer who had just purchased a collection. Both mint in the box $25 each.  The Black Widow and Thames panel were purchased from a friend for $15 each. I needed an extra Thames because I want to create a Woody wagon.

image.png.1bd49a2d27c9a7938fdd92c60c39c23b.png

Find of the day-  The elusive Pyro '52 Chevy wagon!  A $12 purchase from the same dealer who bought the collection. I've wanted one of these forever!  Upon getting it home I see it was started and the 3 piece body is expertly assembled and the seams gone!  I'm actually having trouble seeing where the pieces were glued together.   

image.png.1e14769f2b91d0a76455785379b34bbf.png

On my way home I did stop at a full size Hobby Lobby to get glue.  I saw this neat '64 Nova SS.  Priced at $19.99 but we used our 40% off coupon of course.  

Funny story.  Whenever I'm at Hobby Lobby and the lines are too long, I tell everyone on line about the 40% off coupon!  The nice young couple with a baby in front of me had two fairly expensive home decor items in their cart.  I asked the fellow, and they didn't know about the coupon.  I advised them to each buy one of the items.  They were very appreciative.  And serves HL right for not having enough cashiers!   :lol:

Edited by Tom Geiger

22 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.1e14769f2b91d0a76455785379b34bbf.png

On my way home I did stop at a full size Hobby Lobby to get glue.  I saw this neat '64 Nova SS.  Priced at $19.99 but we used our 40% off coupon of course.  

I saw that today at HL for the first time today, too. WELL worth what you paid for it. I paid Full Metal Retail for mine a year ago. Here's what I did with it: 

Edited by Snake45

I splurged lately, this order came from Australia.  For some reason have wanted every version of Mercedes 170, already have 3 different MiniArt kits.  Master Box Ltd. is a new brand to me, looks good with lots of tiny plastic parts and no photo-etch.

Adding anything Ferrari that looks interesting, in this case tiny turned aluminum intake trumpets to go with whatever 250 GTO ever gets built, and chrome stick-on logos.  I've made my own fire extinguishers before, now I don't have to (Lambo Miura really needs one).  And a photo-etch bending tool.

IMG_8244_Fotor.jpg

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Congratulations! It took me several years of eBay stalking to find mine, and then it took me about 30 hours of careful polishing to get it looking as good as yours does right now. (I really ought to finish that thing up soon. All the hard work is done, after all.) 

66Skylark101.jpg.b2c975483939c7e77bc4333818cc0037.jpg

66Skylark119.jpg.24e9d5b24f5fb756eee2454a168eaec0.jpg

Actually mine isn't polished,it's in the shadows a bit,it does need some cleanup,but I will probably paint it in the future,not crazy about the all green look!:unsure:

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I saw that today at HL for the first time today, too. WELL worth what you paid for it. I paid Full Metal Retail for mine a year ago. Here's what I did with it: 

Thanks for showing me your review.  I agree with your comments.  I also think the door handles and rear view mirror are huge blobs that could be dealt with on a redo.  I'm not confident on my metal work skills. 

I grabbed this because there was only one on the shelf and I figured I couldn't go wrong at $12 final cost.  I do prefer plastic or resin to diecast, and usually only resort to it when there is no other option.  We have old AMT 62 & 63s, the Trumpeter kits are 63s and the funny car is a '65.  So I don't see a '64 in scale.  

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Thanks for showing me your review.  I agree with your comments.  I also think the door handles and rear view mirror are huge blobs that could be dealt with on a redo.  I'm not confident on my metal work skills. 

I grabbed this because there was only one on the shelf and I figured I couldn't go wrong at $12 final cost. 

I almost bought another one myself for exactly the same reasons. But then I remembered I also bought a black one at the same time, so I have two already. One or the other of them will get modified with better wheels and tires and so forth. 

11 hours ago, kelson said:

Actually mine isn't polished,it's in the shadows a bit,it does need some cleanup,but I will probably paint it in the future,not crazy about the all green look!:unsure:

I LOVE the green color! But I did the interior in white and black. About all I have to do to finish it up is all the chrome work, which I am dreading. 

Did you buy yours on September 10? 

Another one just like it went early this morning for $82. That's about twice (or more) what I paid for mine maybe 10 years ago. 

There's the bones of a kit on there right now at around $40 with 4 days left to go. The right A-pillar is gone and there's damage to the left one. Would be some work but it's restorable. 

BTW, that body has one big flaw in it that's not too hard to fix if you want to do it. Let me know; I think I have pics on the hard drive showing what needs to be done and where. 

Just got back from the DuPage show. Chatted briefly with Okey Spaulding and finally broke broke down and bought a '56 Pontiac four-door hardtop kit molded in Glendale Green. Also picked up an unpainted built-up '58 Plymouth for parts, cheap, and four vintage hoods: early issue '40 Ford with nice clearly molded trim (keeper!), '62 Olds  F-85, '60 Ford pickup, and stock '66-'69 Ford Falcon. The last three should be good trading material at least, since they were a buck apiece.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I LOVE the green color! But I did the interior in white and black. About all I have to do to finish it up is all the chrome work, which I am dreading. 

Did you buy yours on September 10? 

Another one just like it went early this morning for $82. That's about twice (or more) what I paid for mine maybe 10 years ago. 

There's the bones of a kit on there right now at around $40 with 4 days left to go. The right A-pillar is gone and there's damage to the left one. Would be some work but it's restorable. 

BTW, that body has one big flaw in it that's not too hard to fix if you want to do it. Let me know; I think I have pics on the hard drive showing what needs to be done and where. 

Yup,that was me paid more than expected,but prices are never getting lower and sometimes vendors don't ship to Canada or if they do the shipping is insane!!,so my choices are limited...yeah i'd be interested in seeing the flaw.

40 minutes ago, kelson said:

Yup,that was me paid more than expected,but prices are never getting lower and sometimes vendors don't ship to Canada or if they do the shipping is insane!!,so my choices are limited...yeah i'd be interested in seeing the flaw.

Okay, hold the body up pointing toward you. Sight down the right (passenger) side and notice the line of the top of the front fender and the door. Now do the same thing with the left (driver) side. Doesn't look the same, does it? There's a hump in that line that shouldn't be there--it rises and then falls back. That line wants to be straight, or darn close to it. It's not too difficult to iron it out with a file. The affected area is highlighted by the red line in this picture: 

66Skylark111a.jpg.c87d9ee2bba644ab4114d21ae82477f5.jpg

And then, the line that runs down the middle of the body--where the white line is in the above pic--looks like a piece of chrome trim. It's not. It's actually two VERY fine lines that are meant to represent pinstripes. When the body is molded in white, and you paint it, you can carefully sand or polish the paint in this area and leave two perfect white pinstripes showing. I'm going to try dry-brushing them with white paint on my polished green one for the same effect. DON'T paint this line "chrome" or try to foil it, as the real ones didn't have such a chrome trim strip. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Okay, hold the body up pointing toward you. Sight down the right (passenger) side and notice the line of the top of the front fender and the door. Now do the same thing with the left (driver) side. Doesn't look the same, does it? There's a hump in that line that shouldn't be there--it rises and then falls back. That line wants to be straight, or darn close to it. It's not too difficult to iron it out with a file. The affected area is highlighted by the red line in this picture: 

66Skylark111a.jpg.c87d9ee2bba644ab4114d21ae82477f5.jpg

And then, the line that runs down the middle of the body--where the white line is in the above pic--looks like a piece of chrome trim. It's not. It's actually two VERY fine lines that are meant to represent pinstripes. When the body is molded in white, and you paint it, you can carefully sand or polish the paint in this area and leave two perfect white pinstripes showing. I'm going to try dry-brushing them with white paint on my polished green one for the same effect. DON'T paint this line "chrome" or try to foil it, as the real ones didn't have such a chrome trim strip. 

I had a discussion with another member recently regarding that molding running through the center of the body.

I wasn't absolutely sure about whether or not a molding was available.

Personally, I would remove it, but I have seen photos with a molding along that line.

But they are very few & far between.

Most likely an added feature to guard against body damage from door dings, etc.

Possibly a dealer installed option, or owner added?

Either way, if you would decide to treat it as a molding, it wouldn't be entirely incorrect.

Steve

image.png.c28f1b393b9f37577ca05f88575b4bee.png

26 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I had a discussion with another member recently regarding that molding running through the center of the body.

I wasn't absolutely sure about whether or not a molding was available.

Personally, I would remove it, but I have seen photos with a molding along that line.

But they are very few & far between.

Most likely an added feature to guard against body damage from door dings, etc.

Possibly a dealer installed option, or owner added?

Either way, if you would decide to treat it as a molding, it wouldn't be entirely incorrect.

Steve

image.png.c28f1b393b9f37577ca05f88575b4bee.png

Very interesting! I'm tending to think that's aftermarket. You used to see a LOT of those add-on strips back in the day. Not all of them were as neatly applied or as straight as this one, though some were. 

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

... and four vintage hoods: 

Let's make it five:

5bb18caba006a_65oldshood.jpg.096d0d5fdb1ea7e96ec3b86f9a116b9e.jpg

'65 Olds 88, for my Jetstar project. Price left me a bit saddle-sore, but parts for this car just don't come up very often. Could have copied the one from my other '65, but it's already painted and I don't want to mess it up.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...