Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 6/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, Bucky said:

I picked up an item that is sorta model car related....I found a 4 foot long glass showcase, with a glass shelf, mirrored inside panels and doors, sitting outside a beauty shop with a sign on it that said "no charge". You spell that F-R-E-E! It is now residing in my storage unit, awaiting the move to our new house. I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it.

It should hold a few built models.

I've often been told that if there are no pics, then it didn't happen, sooooooo......here it is:

SHOWCASE-vi.jpg

This thing is as heavy as refrigerator, and more awkward to handle!!

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

I've often been told that if there are no pics, then it didn't happen, sooooooo......here it is:

SHOWCASE-vi.jpg

That's a lot of real estate to display cars in. Congratulations on the acquisition. Hopefully the exterior "wrap" is removable! LOL

If that stuff is peel-and-stick, a light hit with a heat gun (or a strong blast from a blow dryer) should make short work of it.  Instead of paint, consider replacing the wrap with another, more subdued one.  That's a good get...the bigger, hard-to-move cases are often given away while the shorter ones are usually sold.

This one is four feet long. I have another that is six feet long. With some additional glass shelves, I'll be able to display quite a few, and they'll be safer than sitting on an exposed shelf, more than five feet from the floor!!

On 6/22/2019 at 7:25 PM, Snake45 said:

Rob and Chris, thanks for the insight on the holes. Now that you mention it, they ARE very clean, as if they were put there to start with. 

Here's my other big Bay score of the week: Original annual AMT '70 Camaro, which is desirable because it has the non-RS front end--very rare these days. All the stock parts seem to be here, either on the model or in the box, and the original instructions and most of the original box are nice extras. Glass wasn't glued in, either, another bonus.  Looking forward to bringing this one back from the dead. B)

70CamaroB03.jpg.c770e284e720e47c92c4c4ca639872b6.jpg

70CamaroB05.jpg.5f20698dd7f761b9a18ce9587fde9146.jpg

This kit was my first Camaro I ever built. I painted mine green. Never found another with the vinyl top molded on.

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

This kit was my first Camaro I ever built. I painted mine green. Never found another with the vinyl top molded on.

I'm not wild about the vinyl top myself, but will probably keep it just for tradition and heritage. Should look good with Classic Copper, which is what I plan to paint it. 

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'm not wild about the vinyl top myself, but will probably keep it just for tradition and heritage. Should look good with Classic Copper, which is what I plan to paint it. 

Copper with a black or tan vinyl roof will look great!

Well, I looked the Duster kit over at every red light on the way home. It is all there. I was excited to find it on CL this morning for an extremely low price. The pictures were fuzzy but the main parts appeared to be included in the pics. Then I noticed that the post was 6 days old. No way it could still be available but I called and left a voice mail.anyway. I got a call back 30 min later and was told it was still available. I quickly made arrangements to pick it up after work. When talking to the guy tonight, he said that he had a bunch more old kits that were stuffed away at the back of his shop that he couldn't get to at the moment. He said that once he got to them he would give me a call. I will now be hanging up on anyone trying to tie my line up until he calls. Lol.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

On 6/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, Bucky said:

SHOWCASE-vi.jpg

Glass shop could cut you more shelving to fit.
EDIT: Noticed you already made reference to that. 
Also, why can't I delete my own reply?

Edited by Jon Cole

On 6/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, Bucky said:

SHOWCASE-vi.jpg

I have a similar one.  I found it sitting out front of a house on bulk garbage week. I had to drag and pivot it into the back of my Geo Tracker convertible!  Still stuck out the back swinging door, had to tie it open.  Scratched up my interior!  Mine had bad wood grain contact paper on it.  I've had shelves made for cabinets in the $10-20 range per shelf.  Get the front edge  rounded. Extra cost but well worth it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

13 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Copper with a black or tan vinyl roof will look great!

Well, I looked the Duster kit over at every red light on the way home. It is all there. I was excited to find it on CL this morning for an extremely low price. The pictures were fuzzy but the main parts appeared to be included in the pics. Then I noticed that the post was 6 days old. No way it could still be available but I called and left a voice mail.anyway. I got a call back 30 min later and was told it was still available. I quickly made arrangements to pick it up after work. When talking to the guy tonight, he said that he had a bunch more old kits that were stuffed away at the back of his shop that he couldn't get to at the moment. He said that once he got to them he would give me a call. I will now be hanging up on anyone trying to tie my line up until he calls. Lol.

Later-

Lucky buy Tom

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...