Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

17 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The '60 Windsor used a unibody frame.  :D

Oh, I know; but this is going to be a curbside so I put a unibody '62 Chrysler 300 chassis under it with some dressing-up (opened the rear springs and closed up the rear wheel wells, etc.) and added the engine plug from the '60 chassis. The Plymouth front suspension fits well enough to work without too much trouble (I hope).

Got a response from the seller on the '63 Pontiac taillights; they say they'll send out a new set. :) Asked if I could get two left ones if I returned the two right ones; we'll see. 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Recently acquired birthday presents to myself were some additions to the 24th scale F1 collection.  Three were built-ups of Marui kits - broken and dusty, but still complete - a McLaren M23, a Tyrrell-Ford 007, and a BRM P160 (which I never knew existed) The fourth was an unbuilt Revell Toyota TF102

The two Ford-engine cars likely will get Heller-based drivelines, but the BRM V12 will take some work.  That and decals for all three. Not sure if the McLaren will get back-dated to the earlier style airbox and Yardley colors, or updated to the dog-ears lower height airbox.

2019080795185248.jpg.dddf785b1db3e4fd7f0d9d252b864a3f.jpg2019080795185313.jpg.7e824c51920ba79680196df824fd29ab.jpg2019080795185502.jpg.654ef26247449593c0e2ec56229d4088.jpg2019080895152933.jpg.511be1cc3fac7b43f97c030dfe451e6a.jpg

5 hours ago, djflyer said:

Recently acquired birthday presents to myself were some additions to the 24th scale F1 collection.  Three were built-ups of Marui kits - broken and dusty, but still complete - a McLaren M23, a Tyrrell-Ford 007, and a BRM P160 (which I never knew existed) The fourth was an unbuilt Revell Toyota TF102

The two Ford-engine cars likely will get Heller-based drivelines, but the BRM V12 will take some work.  That and decals for all three. Not sure if the McLaren will get back-dated to the earlier style airbox and Yardley colors, or updated to the dog-ears lower height airbox.

Super find on the F1 kits.  Have rarely seen these so thanks for sharing.

7 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Super find on the F1 kits.  Have rarely seen these so thanks for sharing.

The back of the Revell Toyota F1 box showing the releases for the series was maybe the most intriguing.  Am very curious if the Ferrari 312T was ever issued.

2019080895152849.jpg.3e5749c6b318e36175c915a248061276.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

Yes, it was. The Revell kit is a repop of the Protar 1/12 scale Ferrari 312T. A better choice would be the Tamiya kit which can be found easily on eBay.

Interesting.  It appears from the box that the rest were all going to be 24th scale.  Guess I'll have to get the Marui kit if I want that scale.  (Cant start building 20th scale now) 

I picked up an open/ sealed inside 99 Ford Lightning pickup at a thrift store today for $7. I now have two, plus and extra complete bed. I may try doing a bare metal aircraft style build on one of them ( think panels with rivets, etc)

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Stopped at the Libertyville HL last night, and found an AMT '69 GTX convertible in the clearance rack for six bucks and change - couldn't pass it up despite all the corrections the body needs; at least it would make a good donation to the LMMCC club raffle.

Although if I felt really masochistic creative, I could downgrade it to a Satellite and convert it to right-hand drive like the one I saw Marlon Perkins driving in South Africa on an old episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Stopped at the Libertyville HL last night, and found an AMT '69 GTX convertible in the clearance rack for six bucks and change - couldn't pass it up despite all the corrections the body needs; at least it would make a good donation to the LMMCC club raffle.

Although if I felt really masochistic creative, I could downgrade it to a Satellite and convert it to right-hand drive like the one I saw Marlon Perkins driving in South Africa on an old episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

LMMCC?  I am trying to "recognize" you.  Were you at the July meeting?

I managed to score both another 4070 a as well as a factory sealed Transtar II. And After I sold a few of my own items the total spent comes out to $20.00! I just finished painting the cab of the 4070 a Today August 11.

DSC04191.JPG

DSC04192.JPG

DSC04193.JPG

DSC04194.JPG

DSC04197.JPG

DSC04198.JPG

DSC04199.JPG

DSC04200.JPG

DSC04201.JPG

DSC04202.JPG

Edited by ranma

3 hours ago, kelson said:

Picked these up last nite from a friend,they were from his Girlfriends late husband,not my style of kit,but they were cheap.IMG_1029.thumb.JPG.58acf1daa5091906c1ff1421a7d27f93.JPG 

That Fast Buck is cool, I had one at one time but lost it in a move

Does that one have the tinted glass in it or is it clear? Mine was either green or blue tint which came in one of those issues?

Local Auction House had some models for sale today.  The first box had some sweet built-ups in it but it exceeded my bid range rather quickly.  They also had three lots of what were listed as JoHan/AMT/SMP friction models.  I bid on the best looking lot and got them.  In order from left to right they are a rough '54 Pontiac convert, fairly nice '58 Edsel, fairly nice '58 Ford convert, a fair '57 Pontiac 4dr, and a really nice '58 Oldsmobile.  Being promos there is some body warpage and the '54 Buick has the wrong chassis - it is 1/2 inch too long.  May keep a couple of them and get rid of the others.

DSC00407.JPG

22 hours ago, bandit1 said:

That Fast Buck is cool, I had one at one time but lost it in a move

Does that one have the tinted glass in it or is it clear? Mine was either green or blue tint which came in one of those issues?

The glass in this kit is clear,it looks like the original issue as the box says 1973 on it.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, Snake45 said:

65 Mustang 2+2 custom: ...I’m gonna restore this one, just cleaning it up and maybe giving the pretty teal paint (less green than it looks in these pics) a light polish, and display it proudly on my Survivors shelf. It is a thing of beauty and makes me very, very happy just to own it. It’s already risen to near the top of my To-Do List.

65MustangFBCustom09.jpg.a08659a9e975da39716a29df89d55fbd.jpg

This one went right to the top of my To Do list and I accomplished the restoration this weekend (along with a gray '66 fastback). Pics Under Glass as soon as I get time to take them and do the writeup. It makes me as happy as anything I've built in the last year. B)

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Local Auction House had some models for sale today.  The first box had some sweet built-ups in it but it exceeded my bid range rather quickly.  They also had three lots of what were listed as JoHan/AMT/SMP friction models.  I bid on the best looking lot and got them.  In order from left to right they are a rough '54 Pontiac convert, fairly nice '58 Edsel, fairly nice '58 Ford convert, a fair '57 Pontiac 4dr, and a really nice '58 Oldsmobile.  Being promos there is some body warpage and the '54 Buick has the wrong chassis - it is 1/2 inch too long.  May keep a couple of them and get rid of the others.

DSC00407.JPG

WoW...nice finds there...!

12 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

DSC00407.JPG

I bet the '54 Buick Skylark has the right chassis - that's how much the body has shrunk. They usually look like this now. Nice color combo on the Edsel!

(Last one is a '58 Pontiac Bonneville, not an Olds)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...