Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, 64Comet404 said:

It happened during the middle of the show, when a vendor decided to put out some models that he didn’t have room for earlier. I happened to glance over, and saw the Maverick on top of some kit boxes. I went over and asked the price, and it was reasonable enough for me to hand over the cash without bargaining. As soon as I brought it back to my table, I had a number of guys who recognized it for what it is and where I had found it.

Great Find Ken!

Sometimes it's not the early bird that gets the worm!

Way back when Toledo was still a booming swap meet,  we went back for one last run through the halls on Sunday.  As the show was wrapping up I was wandering through and looking at non-model car dealers.  At one dealer who had primarily military subjects, he had his models stacked two deep.  So nobody had ever seen what was on the bottom of the rear stacks unless they moved the front stack.  I was just killing time so I did so... imagine my surprise when I uncovered  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,  Aurora kit in original box!   It wasn't perfect, started by some kid and all the parts off trees and rolling around in the warped box.  Dealer had no idea the rarity of this kit, to him it was just a car and he needed to get rid of it.   It was marked $10 so I quickly bought it.  Find of the year!

I got it home and thought I had a parts kit, it had to be missing major parts in the condition it was in.  I checked all the parts against the instruction sheet and guess what?  It was missing the gas cap!   

$Ouch, but I finally got the darn thing:

1122671424_63Pontiacrearbumper.jpg.843bf1b2b7972008d741d3e759f028a4.jpg

'63 Pontiac Bonneville. So many of these have broken taillight bezels (easy to see why), so I'll cast up some copies of just that portion.

Now I just need a driver's side lens. Remember how I picked up a set of resin lenses on eBay, and the seller sent two right ones? The seller apologized and said they'd send a new set, and they did - two more right ones <_<. Sent all four back. 

On 8/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, 64Comet404 said:

This one was such a find, I had to give it its own post! Definitely the right place at the right time!!! I don’t know if I will do anything with it yet, or pass it along to a friend for his Tom Daniel collection. I’m just happy to say I have actually owned one of these rare beasts.

5C3DC1CA-A40E-4315-AA12-7D91D9CFE6C4.jpeg

D3542C28-E7A6-4758-9BBD-0E2FC68B614D.jpeg

Now that is a great find...!   Your lucky...very lucky.

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

One simply can't have enough Ford Model T's, do I've just ordered one of these...

I recently got the Commercial Roadster too, and have weird plans for it.  

Apparently I couldn't have enough 1/32 scale Model T's. I've hoarded a bunch for years: the Airfix, its MPC clone, and the Pyro and its Lindberg clone (the last 2 have engines). Most of those will be flogged on eBay soon.  I planned to use them in 1/35 scal-ish dioramas. No need for that now:  just like in 1/24, ICM has done many different 1/35 versions of the Model T: WWI ambulance, machine-gun scout car, supply truck etc. The Polish company RPM did an armored T, MMGS car and supply truck in 1/35, but the less said about them the better. 

Fun Fact: the highway leading into Egypt's Western Desert once had a road-block, manned by Sikh troops. Only 2 makes of vehicle were allowed thru that road-block: Model T Fords or Rolls-Royces.  Based on experience, they were the only vehicles likely to survive in the desert. I read that in one of the books on local history I collected while living in Alexandria, Egypt.

Edited by Mike999
goof3

Just received a nice little '63 Fairlane promo. 100% complete. I was the only bidder on it. Got it for $50 plus shipping! It's almost too nice for what I have planned for it. But, I've been after one for a good while. Now I can build one of my favorite cars that my older brother owned. I'll pitch the chassis, stock wheels/tires and the interior tub and replace them with the Revell '64 Fairlane parts. 

55 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I recently got the Commercial Roadster too, and have weird plans for it.  

Apparently I couldn't have enough 1/32 scale Model T's. I've hoarded a bunch for years: the Airfix, its MPC clone, and the Pyro and its Lindberg clone (the last 2 have engines). Most of those will be flogged on eBay soon.  I planned to use them in 1/35 scal-ish dioramas. No need for that now:  just like in 1/24, ICM has done many different 1/35 versions of the Model T: WWI ambulance, machine-gun scout car, supply truck etc. The Polish company RPM did an armored T, MMGS car and supply truck in 1/35, but the less said about them the better. 

Fun Fact: the highway leading into Egypt's Western Desert once had a road-block, manned by Sikh troops. Only 2 makes of vehicle were allowed thru that road-block: Model T Fords or Rolls-Royces.  Based on experience, they were the only vehicles likely to survive in the desert. I read that in one of the books on local history I collected while living in Alexandria, Egypt.

I'll be getting one of these soon, the Revell one arrived this morning, quality looks great, it's a ICM model reboxed with a sheet of very nice decals.

22498_rd.jpg

Got this via Fakebook Marketplace, seller has 2,000 models to sell (he listed a Morgan 3 wheeler), I asked what he has for foreign subjects, this BMW M1 was something I have never seen before.  It's typical Airfix quality of the era, but it does have an engine.  The Niki Lauda / evil cigarette advertising decals look old, but they should work.  Didn't think I wanted an M1, but why not?

DSC_0639_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0640_Fotor.jpg

On 8/19/2019 at 11:07 AM, Tom Geiger said:

It was marked $10 so I quickly bought it.  Find of the year!

Sometimes people just don't look closely enough.  At NNL East, late in the day, I spotted one of those MPC Pontiac convertibles built as the pickup version.  This was after the Model King issue but before the Round 2 one.  It was cleanly built but cheap.  It was the 1969 version, not the reissued '70.  Someone wanting a '69 convertible could pretty easily stub in the cutout deck lid from a '70 body.  But apparently nobody else took the time to look at it.

A good friend of my fathers & mine had asked if I could fix his dryer so I said sure (I fixed appliances for years when I was younger). So I ordered the parts & last night I went over to fix it for him, it only took about 15 mins. So we got talking after & he started showing me some of the models he built as a kid, they were in a nice case in the basement. He told me pick one so I did, then he dug out a big box & said this goes with it. We argued over how much he owed me & I told him 1 box of models. This is what I found in the box after I got home. I only cleaned some & WOWWWWW!

Bill's models 001.JPG

Bill's models 002.JPG

Bill's models 003.JPG

Bill's models 004.JPG

Bill's models 005.JPG

Bill's models 006.JPG

Bill's models 007.JPG

Bill's models 008.JPG

Bill's models 009.JPG

Bill's models 010.JPG

Bill's models 011.JPG

Bill's models 012.JPG

Bill's models 013.JPG

Bill's models 014.JPG

Bill's models 015.JPG

Bill's models 016.JPG

Bill's models 017.JPG

The past few weeks I managed to pick up some parts for several old annuals, ( top boots, wheel covers and some  re-chromed bumpers for several kits stashed away )

Also, I have a soft spot the early cars. So I just couldn't resist this one, a new in box  Danbury Mint   1934 HISPANO SUIZA J12 ,especially for just $30

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

The past few weeks I managed to pick up some parts for several old annuals, ( top boots, wheel covers and some  re-chromed bumpers for several kits stashed away )

Also, I have a soft spot the early cars. So I just couldn't resist this one, a new in box  Danbury Mint   1934 HISPANO SUIZA J12 ,especially for just $30

s-l1600.jpg

Clive Cussler would love this one

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...