Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

14 hours ago, FredRPG said:

I got this off of eBay for what I thought was a very good price considering how cleanly it was built. The ramps are a little mismatched from what came with it new, but nothing to complain about.  Haven’t decided whether to leave the roof with the tilt or straighten it out, it is a stunt car after all. Might need to hunt up the other two cars and the hauler ( that might be hard to find). 

20F9F68A-6EA8-417E-B051-6DDEE314329D.jpeg

FBABC093-C864-4066-BEF3-8821EBEB79D9.jpeg

A3F59FE2-921C-4A46-A5C3-BCAAFC332440.jpeg

Your correct that is cleanly built. As for the A Pillar you might even leave it damaged since it would fit in with the theme of the model. You may never have seen one roll on its side at a show, but in practice you can bet it happened more than once. Light clean up and very little detailing and call it good. 

Local toy show. Bought two built Corvettes, a Revell '67 and a Monogram '65, for a grand total of $3. Bought them just for parts but I think at least one of them is in good enough shape to "rescue" without too much trouble and display. Maybe both of them. 

Then scored a built (fairly cleanly, and unpainted, and pretty much complete) MPC "Station Wagon Buggy" for $7, including box, instructions, and decals. What caught my eye about that was that it seems to have the same wheelbase as a C2 Corvette. You know I been talking about turning a Palmer '66 Vette into a kit-car "Poor-Vette" and this could be the perfect chassis for it. In fact, I might even be able to set it up to switch bodies between the Palmer Vette and the dune buggy. We'll see what happens. 

Also got an orignal AMT '66 Impala body that someone did as a Demolition Derby project back in the day. The top MIGHT be good enough to graft onto an orignal '65 body I have with a trashed roof. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much--the vendor GAVE the thing to me as a "good customer" freebie. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Local toy show. Bought two built Corvettes, a Revell '67 and a Monogram '65, for a grand total of $3. Bought them just for parts but I think at least one of them is in good enough shape to "rescue" without too much trouble and display. Maybe both of them. 

Then scored a built (fairly cleanly, and unpainted, and pretty much complete) MPC "Station Wagon Buggy" for $7, including box, instructions, and decals. What caught my eye about that was that it seems to have the same wheelbase as a C2 Corvette. You know I been talking about turning a Palmer '66 Vette into a kit-car "Poor-Vette" and this could be the perfect chassis for it. In fact, I might even be able to set it up to switch bodies between the Palmer Vette and the dune buggy. We'll see what happens. 

Also got an orignal AMT '66 Impala body that someone did as a Demolition Derby project back in the day. The top MIGHT be good enough to graft onto an orignal '65 body I have with a trashed roof. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much--the vendor GAVE the thing to me as a "good customer" freebie. 

Nice score. There are never any toy shows around where I live. The one I've gone to doesn't have very many models in it. Mostly pressed tin, Matchbox or Hot Wheels. 

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And here they are. The red Mono '65 Corvette looks like it will clean up nicely and I think its red paint will respond to a light polish. It'll never look as good as one of my original builds, but I think with a couple hours of Snake-Fu it'll be fit to sit on the shelf with my other 1/24 diecast C2s, most of which are either '63 coupes or '67 roadsters. 

The yellow Revell '67 is complete and at first looks like it would clean up nicely (assuming the scuffs polish off the right side), but there's a fair amount of glue damage around both the windshield and backlight. Dunno if that can be fixed, or ignored, or maybe I could just paint the windows black slammer-style. Worse comes to worst I can cut the front fenders off and graft them onto a Revell '67 roadster body, which is just horrible in that area. Oh well, I only paid $3 for BOTH of the Vettes. 

Kinda looking forward to diving into that dune buggy. Went through the box and all I can find missing is one headlight and one red taillight lens. Might be a good place to use that can of sparkly Krylon "Pumpkin Shimmer" which was supposed to be orange, but is actually more of a gold/copper color. 

65CorvetteMonoGB03.jpg.8ce1dae8ef1b2bbb56f8abb5680f6846.jpg

65CorvetteMonoGB05.jpg.8225c2568b105667d8659cf7bc2f983a.jpg

65CorvetteMonoGB06.jpg.f458e4b5ab1ffdedbda03e0283c4f3ee.jpg

APorVet002.jpg.e70f04ee4ebaceb546a6524d09de40bf.jpg

APorVet004.jpg.1097424502cbfef7c11367b032672681.jpg

Edited by Snake45

Got a '78 GMC . Sadly I dislike the after market crud such as the steering wheel, and intake Manifold.  Wish they would at least give you  a stock Steering wheel ect for these pickup's! any one know a source that would supply the stock steering wheel, ect.????

124-78-gmc-big-game-country-pickup.jpg

Another gluebomb orphan of the storm; cheeep eBay BIN:

843835515_63riviera2.jpg.934d9dbfd7c50b92afda34b7ebdebdd9.jpg

1437434543_63riviera3.jpg.133560d4cb3b295ba868fc3865fb3447.jpg

1698365751_63riviera5.jpg.bfa55172298911e146afea9b30db37eb.jpg

'63 Riviera. The skis caught some sun and warped, but those delicate A-pillars look OK. Looking forward to cleaning it up!

Even better, I have photos of my friend's 1/1 scale gluebomb for detailing:

P1100449.JPG.0fd232dc1ba69e39d57a7651ca2cc3d9.JPG

P1100455.JPG.e3994829f3dc08ef6b42c033bbff87f9.JPG

P1100459.JPG.0807ef28aeb3386d15b2b171ae0dd821.JPG

P1100486.JPG.f0188f87422189f42a70aaf1702d03a8.JPG

P1100488.JPG.d08015c5215b1be06537c153ff6dd55f.JPG

P1100513.JPG.a346b7509101d56e9aea565f3b2135b3.JPG

65k-mile low-option car; crank windows, no A/C or power seats. Sat in a garage for over 25 years; cats kept the mice away but peed on it a lot; thus the surface rust...

63 riviera 1.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

cats kept the mice away but peed on it a lot; thus the surface rust...

Spilling Richards Wild Irish Rose on a car can burn through the paint to the sheet metal and cause oxidation. Don't ask me how I know, ;)  :D

That looks entirely salvageable, though.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And here they are. The red Mono '65 Corvette looks like it will clean up nicely and I think its red paint will respond to a light polish. It'll never look as good as one of my original builds, but I think with a couple hours of Snake-Fu it'll be fit to sit on the shelf with my other 1/24 diecast C2s, most of which are either '63 coupes or '67 roadsters. 

The yellow Revell '67 is complete and at first looks like it would clean up nicely (assuming the scuffs polish off the right side), but there's a fair amount of glue damage around both the windshield and backlight. Dunno if that can be fixed, or ignored, or maybe I could just paint the windows black slammer-style. Worse comes to worst I can cut the front fenders off and graft them onto a Revell '67 roadster body, which is just horrible in that area. Oh well, I only paid $3 for BOTH of the Vettes. 

Kinda looking forward to diving into that dune buggy. Went through the box and all I can find missing is one headlight and one red taillight lens. Might be a good place to use that can of sparkly Krylon "Pumpkin Shimmer" which was supposed to be orange, but is actually more of a gold/copper color. 

65CorvetteMonoGB03.jpg.8ce1dae8ef1b2bbb56f8abb5680f6846.jpg

65CorvetteMonoGB05.jpg.8225c2568b105667d8659cf7bc2f983a.jpg

65CorvetteMonoGB06.jpg.f458e4b5ab1ffdedbda03e0283c4f3ee.jpg

APorVet002.jpg.e70f04ee4ebaceb546a6524d09de40bf.jpg

APorVet004.jpg.1097424502cbfef7c11367b032672681.jpg

I like the dune buggy, Snake I don’t think I have ever seen one like that...

Couple more recent acquisitions: 

'69 El Camino from eBay. Missing glass, firewall, and all interior pieces except the tub itself, but all the vital stuff is here: Body (excellent condition), chassis, interior tub, bed extension, rear bumper and taillights. Anything else needed (except backlight) can be sourced from a common '60 Chevelle kit. Paint is actually nice enough to be used for a "late '70s daily driver/high school hot rod" build, except the hood and bed extension have been painted some kind of silver. I bought it to strip and rebuild in LeMans Blue, but I'm thinking of doing a quick resto of it as a survivor till I get around to it. If Model Master Nassau Blue isn't a good enough match to the paint, I'll just paint the hood semigloss black as a replacement part. Could be a quick, fun rescue project. 

69ElCaminoGB02.jpg.9ac4be4ff155a2955373ee9724c983bd.jpg

69ElCaminoGB06.jpg.a18a78b826c8632c4a9b3ad0f6d23354.jpg

And two shall become one: Bought this '69 Maverick promo body about a month ago, complete body, glass, and trim except missing rear bumper. While searching eBay for a bumper, I came across this VERY distressed dark blue one (it looks like maybe a heavy book or something of the kind fell on it) for not much more than bumpers alone were going for, and it gave me the a chassis, stock wheels and tires, and a front bumper/grille with better chrome than I was starting with. Sold!  The body turns out to have a tiny hole drilled in each front fender right ahead of the Maverick emblem--slot car mounting, perhaps? Oh well, I can live with it to have a nice polished plastic Original Cinnamon Maverick on the shelf. This one is rising to near the top of the Snakepit To-Do list. 

69MaverickCinnamon02.jpg.a5615b3ef6ff6c77781a0cc02bb5d1d8.jpg

69MaverickCinnamon05.jpg.23f2af53daa0dfcbe7b4163326bc525a.jpg

Nothing super interesting, but I wanted a nice deep red oxblood-type color for the interior of a Paddy Wagon that I’m building and picked up a bottle of this Citadel paint from a store near where I’m working today.  About the same price as a jar of Tamiya paint but it needs thinning so it’ll go a lot further I guess...interested to see how it lays down through the airbrush:

6C805575-FB1C-451E-9458-1297E390BE7E.thumb.jpeg.f3de8453f5d47c8d3e6bc18088472c96.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Wow, I would like to see a build thread for that!

I did this in 1994 and combined the engine from a Fujimi M635csi with the front end from a Revell of Germany BMW 750il (with lots of mods) and did a bunch of scratch building to get it to USA specs, including correcting the interior.  The things I didn't do as well as I wanted were the front fenders and the sun roof (which I cut open).  Today, I would have much more detail in that.  

That said, there is about 200 hours of labor and almost $100 worth of kits that contributed to this.  With today's technologies, I would be able to do a bunch of things differently.  That said, I don't think I'm in the mood to reattempt this one.

I have just enough budget and room to only get one of every truck kit I want. I didn't even know this existed until I saw it on ebay. It was a good price so I snagged it. I will have to do something about the wimpy split tires though. Mobius to the rescue!

IMG_1247.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
grammar....

5 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I have just enough budget and room to only get one of every truck kit I want. I didn't even know this existed until I saw it on ebay. It was a good price so I snagged it. I will have to do something about the wimpy split tires though. Mobius to the rescue!

IMG_1247.JPG

gym shoe repair glue works for the split tyres, or if you can find "shoo goo too" (most likely in skateboard shops) its already black and sands down at the same rate as the tyres

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

IMG_1247.JPG

You might try any local hobby shops that carry an after market parts selection. I'm pretty sure Round 2 is offering truck tires that may work. They're packaged much like their Good Years, Drag Slicks, and White Wall tire options. Usually they are offered as an 8 pack on the passenger car tires so that you have a set of of one size and another set of another size.   

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...