Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Good deal there,one of my favorites,this and the 64 full size line up. The color there dont do it justice at all,but i`m sure you will. 

Spotted this and it does deserve another color,but still an lovely barge.

I agree, the color is not what I would pick.

Although, I did recently see a '63 Buick convertible sitting by the road for sale that was a pale blue.

It looked pretty good in that color.

But it was a much paler blue than this "baby blue".

I've always disliked this color.

Steve

I agree, the color is not what I would pick.

Although, I did recently see a '63 Buick convertible sitting by the road for sale that was a pale blue.

It looked pretty good in that color.

But it was a much paler blue than this "baby blue".

I've always disliked this color.

Steve

We had a couple of Fords in my family when I was growing up (approx 1966) that were Arcadian Blue. I like that shade of blue, but like VW's "Vapor Blue" even better. Still, I must agree that it doesn't work on a big car. A more regal color like black, navy blue, bronze, etc., sounds better. Look forward to seeing what Steve comes up with.

Steve...LOL...that is when my love for the Buicks come into life...1961 to 1975 body styles...bigger the car the better.

Funny thing... My Buicks were a 1960 Electra 2 door hardtop (a much more refined design of the radical 59),  a 1973 Electra 225 4 door hardtop and our current 2006 LaCrosse.  I went to the BCA Convention show in Allentown, PA this summer.  Didn't plan it, it was local and a friend proposed that we go!

Funny thing... My Buicks were a 1960 Electra 2 door hardtop (a much more refined design of the radical 59),  a 1973 Electra 225 4 door hardtop and our current 2006 LaCrosse.  I went to the BCA Convention show in Allentown, PA this summer.  Didn't plan it, it was local and a friend proposed that we go!

Tom... I dig the 59 and 60s too...I have a 59 convertible I restored from a bad glue bomb that was customized.  I have several 60s Buicks but need to find parts for them so it can be their turn.

Got two more eBay Rescue AMT original annual C2 Vettes yesterday. The ’65 Roadster has a complete body with unbroken windshield frame (a relative rarity), and the box seems to have most if not all the original parts including the desirable hard top and the rare cut-down wraparound windshield.  Body and top are painted kind of a puky shade of lilac purple, but fairly cleanly, and all interior parts are still virgin white styrene, so I might just try polishing the purple and seeing what it looks like and setting the thing together as a “survivor resto,” at least until I get some other projects finished and/or the mood strikes me to strip it and paint it some factory color.

The other one is an original annual ’63 Coupe. This was a pleasant surprise. The black-painted body didn’t look like anything special in the eBay pic and I bought the kit mainly because it looked like most if not all of the original custom parts were included. The black paint on the body turns out to be AMAZING. It seems to be one coat of some kind of enamel (Testors, probably) but is smooth, shiny, and about as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen from a rattlecan. The builder even did a nice job with the chrome trim, as well. Hadn’t planned to paint this one black, but I’m so impressed with the way it is that I’m gonna leave it and restore this one as a survivor, too. The interior parts are painted some kind of green-gray metallic, but I can find something that works better with the black. (I’m tempted to just “borrow” the virginal white interior from a Prestige roadster reissue.) You might be seeing this one “Under Glass” here in the near future.

Both kits (from same seller) came with the boxes FILLED with hundreds—thousands?—of what looks like foam or Styrofoam disks about the size of a nickel. Will take me a while to laboriously pick all these out without accidentally tossing some rare tiny loose part, but that’s the ONLY (minor) glitch in this whole deal.

Got all the foam nickels cleaned out of the '63 Coupe box last night. There are no metal axles, stock wheels, or tires, and the entire engine is missing, except for a few custom parts. But virtually all of the custom parts are here, including the custom wheels. All the chrome that's here is in really nice shape. I can use some of the custom stuff on an original survivor custom '63 I'm working on. All things considered, still a good deal that I'm very happy with. Now to clean the foam nickels out of the '65 roadster box....

Got all the foam nickels cleaned out of the '63 Coupe box last night. 

Which reminds me of something that happened this week.  A new soda machine at work will accept a $5 bill.  I got a Diet Coke for $1.60 and it gave me my change in nickels and dimes!  I had a whole pocket full of change!  I just had to laugh

Just got back from HL, where I used my coupon to get a repop of the AMT '63 Vette for parts for the nice original I just got. I think the decals in it will come in handy on another survivor resto I'm working on, too.

BTW, they had the new AMT snapper '16 Camaro, priced at $29.99. I think somebody mentioned last week they saw the price was $39.95. If so, that HL made a mistake.

$29.95 for a snapper! :blink: Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore....

Just got back from HL...BTW, they had the new AMT snapper '16 Camaro, priced at $29.99. I think somebody mentioned last week they saw the price was $39.95. If so, that HL made a mistake.

At my closest Hobby Lobby last week, I only saw 2 new kits priced at $39.99 - the "Lawman" Plymouth and the LINDBERG customized '37 Ford convertible. FWIW, both kits had the sticker touting Cartograf decals, so maybe that's part of the big price bump.

I didn't pay attention to the '16 Camaro since I have zero interest in that kit/car.  Not long ago, I did notice what other posters have mentioned - all regular car kits at Hobby Lobby are $29.99 now.   I'll probably only buy HL kits from now on with the 40% off coupon, or from the Clearance sales.  Even with shipping, prices are better at online vendors.  Especially if you buy several kits and spread the shipping cost. I've seen the "Lawman" kit online for $21.99.

At my closest Hobby Lobby last week, I only saw 2 new kits priced at $39.99 - the "Lawman" Plymouth and the LINDBERG customized '37 Ford convertible. FWIW, both kits had the sticker touting Cartograf decals, so maybe that's part of the big price bump.

I didn't pay attention to the '16 Camaro since I have zero interest in that kit/car.  Not long ago, I did notice what other posters have mentioned - all regular car kits at Hobby Lobby are $29.99 now.   I'll probably only buy HL kits from now on with the 40% off coupon, or from the Clearance sales.  Even with shipping, prices are better at online vendors.  Especially if you buy several kits and spread the shipping cost. I've seen the "Lawman" kit online for $21.99.

This is something like any big box store run the mom and pop hobby shops out  and then raise the prices . I will support my one and only hobby shop that still exists.

Yesterday I picked up the latest reissue of AMT's 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix and the parts pack dirt bikes set at Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro, CA.  It was my first time at that hobby shop and was very pleasantly surprised at their selection of model kits and reasonable prices.  If you are in the San Francisco bay area I would highly recommend this hobby shop.

Got two more eBay Rescue AMT original annual C2 Vettes yesterday. The ’65 Roadster has a complete body with unbroken windshield frame (a relative rarity), and the box seems to have most if not all the original parts including the desirable hard top and the rare cut-down wraparound windshield.  Body and top are painted kind of a puky shade of lilac purple, but fairly cleanly, and all interior parts are still virgin white styrene, so I might just try polishing the purple and seeing what it looks like and setting the thing together as a “survivor resto,” at least until I get some other projects finished and/or the mood strikes me to strip it and paint it some factory color.

Both kits (from same seller) came with the boxes FILLED with hundreds—thousands?—of what looks like foam or Styrofoam disks about the size of a nickel. Will take me a while to laboriously pick all these out without accidentally tossing some rare tiny loose part, but that’s the ONLY (minor) glitch in this whole deal.

Finally got all the foam nickels cleaned out of the ’65 Roadster box. (This took about 20 minutes—had to be done almost one at a time to make sure I didn’t thow out any important loose small parts.) No instructions or decals but otherwise it looks VERY complete, including all custom parts, and the chrome is in great shape. The complete 1965 engine is still on the sprues. It looks like the guy painted the body, hood, and top the oddball purple color, assembled the wheels/tires onto the chassis, set the whole thing together, and then put it all back in the box. A real time capsule.

The lilac purple color is weird. I wonder if the builder was going for that oddball 1965 GM “Iris Mist” color (which wasn’t offered on Corvette)?  The paint has some subtle cracks/checking but is otherwise smoothly applied. I think I’m gonna try to polish it out and just display it like this for a while. I might eventually strip and repaint it something more suitable but until then, I’m gonna call it “Liberace’s Corvette” because it looks like something he might have had back in the day (especially with a white interior).

Yesterday I picked up the latest reissue of AMT's 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix and the parts pack dirt bikes set at Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro, CA.  It was my first time at that hobby shop and was very pleasantly surprised at their selection of model kits and reasonable prices.  If you are in the San Francisco bay area I would highly recommend this hobby shop.

I shop there all the time when I'm in port and the owner always remembers me and asks about my kids, very friendly place and well stocked. Prices are compatible with ordering online if you are only looking for one or two kits and he has supplies you would otherwise only be able to get online. Next year when I leave California the only thing I'm going to miss is this shop. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...