Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Almost forgot - picked up a Reynolds vacuum seal bag and pump setup - thought I'd try it as a mini-vacuum chamber for some of the small stuff I've been casting lately. For $3.98 at the Salvation Army store I thought it was worth a shot... also got a confetti hole punch which makes circles in several different sizes; gonna try to make some whitewall stickers.

23 hours ago, VW93 said:

Once I get it flat again I'll scan it and re post it in case anyone wants a copy of it.

I'm no expert on AMT kits but I've never seen one of these before.

I wonder if the roadster kits had similar cards.

Frank...I have never seen one before ether...but the old Monogram show rods came with a card of the car in the boxes years ago...those were cool too.

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Crossed another endangered specie off my list - Thanks to Tom P., I'm now the proud owner of a '65 Olds 88:

P1120579.JPG.c53a5b7242b916b9beee96566d567ee5.JPG

This was a partly finished restoration that doesn't have too far to go. It's nearly complete except for three of the four taillight lenses; it came with a set of Modelhaus factory alloy wheels, but I found out they were only offered on the Starfire and Jetfire I. The standard wheel covers were never kitted, so I'm going to post on the Wanted section for some Polar Lights GTO wire wheel covers - close enough to the Olds optional spokers. I'll save the alloys for when I find a gluebomb I can combine with a '65 Grand Prix roof to make a Jetfire I.

very nice..!   I have one but its extremely rough...body sanded bad and broken up glass busted hood ruined....shame.

7 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Crossed another endangered specie off my list - Thanks to Tom P., I'm now the proud owner of a '65 Olds 88:

P1120579.JPG.c53a5b7242b916b9beee96566d567ee5.JPG

This was a partly finished restoration that doesn't have too far to go. It's nearly complete except for three of the four taillight lenses; it came with a set of Modelhaus factory alloy wheels, but I found out they were only offered on the Starfire and Jetfire I. The standard wheel covers were never kitted, so I'm going to post on the Wanted section for some Polar Lights GTO wire wheel covers - close enough to the Olds optional spokers. I'll save the alloys for when I find a gluebomb I can combine with a '65 Grand Prix roof to make a Jetfire I.

The wheels that came in the AMT 65 Olds 88 kit are actually accurate. It is just that they were optional, and rarely ordered on the 88 and 98 series cars. They were called the Custom Sport Wheelcovers, and they were not alloy wheels.

My dad's 65. Olds 98 Luxury Sedan Had them. He bought his car new on Easter Monday 1965. He kept then on the car for about a year,  replacing them with a set of Buick Chrome wheels with Cal Custom knock-off spinners.

I have another 65 Olds Model car to restore. I considered doing it as a Jetstar I, but it is too nice to cut up.

1 hour ago, disabled modeler said:

Frank...I have never seen one before ether...but the old Monogram show rods came with a card of the car in the boxes years ago...those were cool too.

I  remember the Monogram cards and have a couple of  them around here somewhere. I have never seen one of these early AMT cards though. Even in all my searches on that auction site for AMT 32 Fords has one of these shown up.

Maybe I need to start a new thread on it to see if anyone can offer more info on them.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Thanks to mk11, this landed in my hands yesterday. Love these old 70s boats!

Congrats!  Know you've been looking for one of these, from the other thread about the bumpers/grilles.  One thing about that kit you've probably noticed already - the front seat is hollow and needs a back added to it from sheet plastic.  Other than that it's a basic curbside that looks pretty good when built.  Almost worth buying just for that box art.

I love those old boats too, and remember when these dinosaurs roamed all over California in various police markings.  The CHP used the Dodge Monaco.  The Los Angeles P.D. used the Plymouth Fury and IIRC, so did the L.A. County Sheriffs Dept.

No wonder they were all over the place.  According to this great article from AllPar, in 1978 Plymouth had 80% of the American police car market.  This is a history of Mopar cop cars from the beginning, with good coverage of other makes like AMC, too:

https://www.allpar.com/squads/history.html

Edited by Mike999
ERROR

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Congrats!  Know you've been looking for one of these, from the other thread about the bumpers/grilles.  One thing about that kit you've probably noticed already - the front seat is hollow and needs a back added to it from sheet plastic.  Other than that it's a basic curbside that looks pretty good when built.  Almost worth buying just for that box art.

I love those old boats too, and remember when these dinosaurs roamed all over California in various police markings.  The CHP used the Dodge Monaco.  The Los Angeles P.D. used the Plymouth Fury and IIRC, so did the L.A. County Sheriffs Dept.

No wonder they were all over the place.  According to this great article from AllPar, in 1978 Plymouth had 80% of the American police car market.  This is a history of Mopar cop cars from the beginning, with good coverage of other makes like AMC, too:

Yeah, I have the MPC DOH Dodge on the bench right now. Lots of differences between these two kits! i might do them both at the same time and do a direct comparison post on these. 

Growing up, we had a 77 Fury sedan, a 78 Fury Sport Suburban wagon, and a 68 Fury III convertible; all at the same time. Learned to drive on the wagon. These cars hold a special place in my heart for sure.

:)

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Thanks to mk11, this landed in my hands yesterday. Love these old 70s boats!

IMG_20180110_1724129.jpg

Do you have any pictures of what’s inside of the box? I to love the 70s land yachts, I’ve got a 1:1 78 440 New Yorker 

Edited by 426 pack
Forgot to add something

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I love all the way cool Yodel box arts. Ive got AMT Monacos in progress to replicate them.

I picked up a Brooklands diecast Tahoe in a charity shop today for £5 ($8). It had a missing door mirror but it was inside the box when I opened it.

5 mins work to remove side steps, lower & swop wheels & its looking so much better already. More work on it at weekend.

20180111_202622.jpg

So ive been in saudi arabia for the last 3 weeks, and today i happened to find a model shop by pure luck. I saw in the corner of my eye a tamiya sign on a old billboard that was barely readable, went inside and found a small treasure chest. They had the most plane kits ive ever seen in a shop, but ive got no interest in that personally. For me its only cars. They happened to have alot of vintage kits just for sale there NEW, they never sold those... I did what i had to do, i bought a couple of the kits they had on offer, heres my score:

p2co84W.jpg

Pretty happy myself with my purchases! They had loads more! its good my parents live here, i can tell them to score certain ones for me if i want. i took alot of pictures of their stash, judging by how old their kits were, i doubt they will be gone anytime soon :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, JeroenM3 said:

So ive been in saudi arabia for the last 3 weeks, and today i happened to find a model shop by pure luck. I saw in the corner of my eye a tamiya sign on a old billboard that was barely readable, went inside and found a small treasure chest. They had the most plane kits ive ever seen in a shop, but ive got no interest in that personally. For me its only cars. They happened to have alot of vintage kits just for sale there NEW, they never sold those... I did what i had to do, i bought a couple of the kits they had on offer, heres my score:

Pretty happy myself with my purchases! They had loads more! its good my parents live here, i can tell them to score certain ones for me if i want. i took alot of pictures of their stash, judging by how old their kits were, i doubt they will be gone anytime soon :rolleyes:

GOLD MINE!!!!!  Especially nice score on the Audis.

5 hours ago, JeroenM3 said:

So ive been in saudi arabia for the last 3 weeks...

Marhaba!  Were you in Jeddah?  I lived there from late 1989 to early 1992 and often went to a hobby shop...the only real hobby shop I ever found there.  It sold Tamiya and Revell paints, tools etc. It also had many old kits still on the shelves. 

I had better luck buying kits in the toy stores, which were numerous.  ESCI sold a lot of kits to toy stores in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia!  Many were still gathering dust and I bought quite a few of them at a discount, after some haggling with the managers.  For some weird reason, I also remember the first time I saw the Revell '69 Shelby GT-500 was in a Saudi toy store. 

Edited by Mike999
error

7 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Do you have any pictures of what’s inside of the box? I to love the 70s land yachts, I’ve got a 1:1 78 440 New Yorker 

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Looks like most of the pics are dead in that link. Good info though.

I'll get some pics posted up for sure though. :)

9 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Marhaba!  Were you in Jeddah?  I lived there from late 1989 to early 1992 and often went to a hobby shop...the only real hobby shop I ever found there.  It sold Tamiya and Revell paints, tools etc. It also had many old kits still on the shelves. 

I had better luck buying kits in the toy stores, which were numerous.  ESCI sold a lot of kits to toy stores in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia!  Many were still gathering dust and I bought quite a few of them at a discount, after some haggling with the managers.  For some weird reason, I also remember the first time I saw the Revell '69 Shelby GT-500 was in a Saudi toy store. 

Nono, ive been in Al-Khobar, at the end of the crossway to Bahrain. My parents live here so visited them for the holidays

10 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

GOLD MINE!!!!!  Especially nice score on the Audis.

They had plenty more, but i cant bring them all home, and money isnt endless sadly... :P 

If anyone is interested in more of those boxes (there were plenty) hit me up in a PB, i can show u than what they had etc. i have no clue what they will cost incl shipping worldwide from here (or from holland, as i can get them there thru my parents when they fly in once every while)

23 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The wheels that came in the AMT 65 Olds 88 kit are actually accurate. It is just that they were optional, and rarely ordered on the 88 and 98 series cars. They were called the Custom Sport Wheelcovers, and they were not alloy wheels.

My dad's 65. Olds 98 Luxury Sedan Had them. He bought his car new on Easter Monday 1965. He kept then on the car for about a year,  replacing them with a set of Buick Chrome wheels with Cal Custom knock-off spinners.

I have another 65 Olds Model car to restore. I considered doing it as a Jetstar I, but it is too nice to cut up.

I wish mine was in better shape Ron...id like to restore one into a factory stock one like we once owned but mine has too much trim missing and been cut on and repaired once by someone.

3 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I wish mine was in better shape Ron...id like to restore one into a factory stock one like we once owned but mine has too much trim missing and been cut on and repaired once by someone.

Are the wheel openings OK? Maybe you could graft them into a Modified Stocker body. Note that both are missing the side trim that runs along the lower crease and over the wheel wells.

5a58d1e3ebeea_65oldsdynamic88-01.jpg.8cd8ea07f4f86255d4eccbf7a294d0aa.jpg

Several years ago, I was lucky enough to get a built-up 1965 Olds 88 Hardtop and a promo convertible with the windshield frame broken off. I made a nice car out of the convertible, and I was originally going to turn the hardtop into a Jetstar I, as I had an unbuilt 88 by hardtop, which I sold for some crazy money, so the hardtop I have will remain a Dynamic 88.

I suggest that you turn yours into a Jetstar I, as the mouldings have been shaved. It would be a one of a kind build.

I may still do it as a Jetstar I, as I have three 65 Grand prix the I can get the roof and bucket seats from.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...