Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 minute ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Resin? I thought their wheels were injection molded - they look that good. I picked up a set of their deep-dish six-lug wheels for my '67 Chevy pickup - guess I better hit them with Bleche-Wite before I have them chromed.

I assumed they're resin because I couldn't see any runner attachment points anywhere with the parts in the package.

I looked carefully with the parts out, and there appears to be the smallest sprue attachment point I've ever seen anywhere, on just about anything....

So...I tested them with solvent and you're right; they ARE injection molded styrene.

Man, that's even better.  :D

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not for the next three months, anyway. Then all bets are off.  :D

Au contraire, my friend, this might actually make an exciting wagering propostion: Will Ace actually finish a model this year? :huh:

(Confession: Many years this would also be a good betting opportunity on me, but don't bet against me this year. I might actually finish two or three this year--real, built-from-the-box builds, not just more of my beloved Sliver Sharpie Lipstick on a Glue Bomb Pig "restorations." (Although there should be several of those, TOO, of course.))

On 24/01/2018 at 10:40 AM, Mike999 said:

I DID NOT get this thing today, but saw it at the Flea Market this morning. Where sub-freezing temps made sure I didn't stick around very long. Brrr! 

Seeing this on a vendor table gave me a chance to delve into some kit history, which I always enjoy.  This is the Revell "Korporal Amerika & Road Freak" kit, part of their "Freaky Riders" series released around 1970-71.

If it looks familiar, it should.  This is the old Ed Roth "Drag Nut" kit with a new name, like the 3 other "Freaky Riders" kits: "Heavy Head" (Mr. Gasser), "Shift Kicker" (Mother's Worry) and "Sleazy Rider" (Brother Rat Fink).

IOW, these are Ed Roth kits with no mention of Ed Roth on the boxes or anywhere else.  Revell also released them in Mexico (Lodela) and Japan, with the names changed to fit the local language/culture. 

This Korporal Amerika kit at the flea market was partly painted.  The vendor was asking $40 for it. 

korp.jpg

I've never seen one of those before, I'd say that's one rare kit. You probably should have bought it if the box and associated paper was in good condition, No telling how much that would have gone for on e-bay.

IIRC, at that time Revell wanted to distance itself from Roth because of his association with the Hells Angels so they renamed and reboxed all the Roth kits without his name or any references to him on them. 

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I've never seen one of those before, I'd say that's one rare kit. You probably should have bought it if the box and associated paper was in good condition, No telling how much that would have gone for on e-bay...

I'd never seen it before either, and don't have much interest in these kind of kits.  Rick Polizzi's "Classic Plastic" book estimated its value at $60 boxed, but that book was published in 1996.  So it has probably increased.  None have come up on eBay for a while, though there are plenty of the identical Drag Nuts (re-issued around 1995). 

The box was pretty beat up and looked a little water-damaged.  No instructions.  Partial painting and maybe some gluing, though I didn't look really close.  I'd rather save my money for some old AMT or Jo-Han kits.

15 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Charming story time-  back when I bought my house in NJ the couple I bought it from relocated to New Mexico.  They left behind the mother of all snowblowers.. huge and very old.  It was much too big for the 100x100 property that didn't even have a sidewalk.  The first season, was clearing snow at the curb and this sucker was tossing snow so far it was hitting the house!  I literally did the entire cul-de-sac curb to curb just because I had it running.  I never used it beyond that.

It sat in the shed unused for years. Then my family bought the gas station.  I told my sister's husband I had this large non-running object in the shed and he was welcome to it. I thought it would be perfect for the size of the lot.  Sure enough he spent a day on it and got it running.  Then upon using it, numb nutz managed to stick his hand in the chute and instantly cut off half of two fingers.  

No good deed goes unpunished... they tried to sue my home owners policy!  (unsuccessfully!)

WOW!!!..............i'm speechless.....glad they weren't able to sue you!

33 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

WOW!!!..............i'm speechless.....glad they weren't able to sue you!

29 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

You gave something away.  Person hurts himself and then tries to sue you?  And a family member on top of it.  Goodbye brother-in-law.

Yup, insurance company handled the whole thing and refused to provide them any compensation.  As it goes, even if I had sold it to him, as a private citizen I'm covered under the "as is" law.  They stated that I knowingly provided him a piece of dangerous equipment that didn't have proper guards.   In my statement I said that I had given him the unit that hadn't run in over 10 years as scrap.  He admitted rebuilding it. The chute is same design as on my new snowblower.  Common sense says "don't put your hand in there!"  

And yes, our relationship is strained. This was just a minor issue down that road!  Sad fact is I have one sister. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

15 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I'd never seen it before either, and don't have much interest in these kind of kits.  Rick Polizzi's "Classic Plastic" book estimated its value at $60 boxed, but that book was published in 1996.  So it has probably increased.  None have come up on eBay for a while, though there are plenty of the identical Drag Nuts (re-issued around 1995). 

The box was pretty beat up and looked a little water-damaged.  No instructions.  Partial painting and maybe some gluing, though I didn't look really close.  I'd rather save my money for some old AMT or Jo-Han kits.

Yea, with a damaged box and no instructions, it's probably not worth that much. Those would have been the unique things that would have made it worth something. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yup, insurance company handled the whole thing and refused to provide them any compensation.  As it goes, even if I had sold it to him, as a private citizen I'm covered under the "as is" law.  They stated that I knowingly provided him a piece of dangerous equipment that didn't have proper guards.   In my statement I said that I had given him the unit that hadn't run in over 10 years as scrap.  He admitted rebuilding it. The chute is same design as on my new snowblower.  Common sense says "don't put your hand in there!"  

And yes, our relationship is strained. This was just a minor issue down that road!  Sad fact is I have one sister. 

The stickers on snow throwers say,"Dont stick your hand in here!" also...

18 hours ago, crazyjim said:

You gave something away.  Person hurts himself and then tries to sue you?  And a family member on top of it.  Goodbye brother-in-law.

Jim..Not to be insulting or anything but remember...you cant control what others do and..you cant fix stupid ether...right?   I am amazed at how some people think...

Had to get four to get one:

5a6cb8505adbb_4olds1.jpg.61c28f75e5fee6e84ee8b3e57d2b9ce2.jpg

5a6cb9bb657ac_4olds9.jpg.5fc14d9de6e3922b1558a2e5a358c2e8.jpg

Wanted the '65 to get the taillights to cast and also do a Jetstar I conversion using the '65 Grand Prix roof/glass; no hood but I have a Modified Stocker I'll borrow it from. I'll put the '56 and '63 back on eBay to offset the cost (or PM me and we can work a deal?); the 442 looks like a parts car at best.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:20 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Charming story time-  back when I bought my house in NJ the couple I bought it from relocated to New Mexico.  They left behind the mother of all snowblowers.. huge and very old.  It was much too big for the 100x100 property that didn't even have a sidewalk.  The first season, was clearing snow at the curb and this sucker was tossing snow so far it was hitting the house!  I literally did the entire cul-de-sac curb to curb just because I had it running.  I never used it beyond that.

It sat in the shed unused for years. Then my family bought the gas station.  I told my sister's husband I had this large non-running object in the shed and he was welcome to it. I thought it would be perfect for the size of the lot.  Sure enough he spent a day on it and got it running.  Then upon using it, numb nutz managed to stick his hand in the chute and instantly cut off half of two fingers.  

No good deed goes unpunished... they tried to sue my home owners policy!  (unsuccessfully!)

That's gotta make family events awkward.

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I'll put the '56 

Does the '56 have a full interior? Not interested in trading for it, just curious as I can't really tell.

Michael's had a 60% off coupon today only, and I needed something else from there anyway, so...

WP_20180127_043.jpg

10 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Jim..Not to be insulting or anything but remember...you cant control what others do and..you cant fix stupid ether...right?   I am amazed at how some people think...

.........stupid is fo-eva    -Ron White         lmao

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Does the '56 have a full interior? Not interested in trading for it, just curious as I can't really tell.

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's the problem with these older Johan promos.

No interiors.

From checking photos online, it looks like some - not all - of the original-issue '56 Olds promos had interiors; of course you'd have to deal with the warpage/shrinkage issues. Maybe you could use it for a pattern. The one I'm getting is an X-El reissue, so no interior, but the body is straight at least. I already have a '56 so this one can go.

Impulse buy.  Scanning eBay "Ending Soonest" a few minutes ago, I saw the old Revell "Monster Machines" set - the Mickey Thompson Challenger I and Tommy Ivo Showboat.  

The auction was ending in a little over 1 minute, with no bids.  Had a Starting Bid of $15.00 and $9.95 shipping from California to SC, which seemed reasonable.  I already have both those kits, but what the heck - I now have a lifetime supply of Buick and Pontiac engines and some other useful parts...

monmach.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

- I now have a lifetime supply of Buick and Pontiac engines and some other useful parts...

Plenty of pie crust slicks, and 28"(?) LSR wheels and tires. :D The Revell Tony Nancy double kit is even better for parts IMHO, but eight engines is not too shabby a haul. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Casey said:

Michael's had a 60% off coupon today only, and I needed something else from there anyway, so...

WP_20180127_043.jpg

That Camaro is one of AMT's best kit's!!!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...