Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

8 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Actually, she is really in-tune to it......she's also a builder!, not as often as us, but she does build. I didn't directly ask for this stuff, what we BOTH like to do is make a list of things we like, and whenever one of us wants to surprise the other, we don't have to spoil it by asking......it works brilliantly. I've been very "off" lately, so she decided to cheer me up with this stuff. apparently I still have the complete Tamiya Polishing system coming, Micro magnets, a high-tech seam scraping tool she saw on Flory Models, and Tamiya Modeling wax. You are right too, it is true love....I really wish more wives/girlfriends would support their guys hobby. its sad how many times I hear them bitch about what they're partner is passionate about.

How about that. I only wish that my wife shared your wife's attitude about the hobby.

3 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Dan..not me..Id build it too and save the old box..etc.  maybe even make a 007 diorama..?

Mark, I am Definitely saving the box!!....it is in EXCELLENT shape for its age!   -especially compared to others. I thought I was never gonna be able to get one of these, since the "junk" ones usually still start around $150+......most of the nicer, complete ones (which are the hard ones to find) start-in around $345.  Tina tells me she found this one for $117!!  -Not trying to throw numbers around, but just showing that still you never know what you can find. I think a "Bond" diorama would be sweet!  -i'd have to learn how to......i'm not that great at them -lol

4 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

My ex HATED models.......got rid of her.

My wife has a hobby herself. She is not really into cars. To be fair I have a LOT of models, which I have been collecting for about 40 years, and I have over run the basement. Some of her hobby is in a storage unit, which she pays for. She has been pretty nice under the conditions, and she has turned me on to some good deals on models and tools. So I can also say my wife is a queen, and my best friend.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:20 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Update: Revell requested the barcode from the box, so I popped it in the mailbox with copies of their emails and a brief but clear explanation.

In the immortal words of Allan Sherman: "Lotsa luck, pal... lotsa luck..."<_<

Update: Got a new '68 Charger body shell and glass from Revell today, so now I can do the roof swap on the '69. A bit of work, but since I've already done three roof swaps lately ('61 Bonneville, '58 Fairlane, '65 Continental) - and have been planning a fourth ('59 Pontiac), what's one more? icon_eyes.gif.4a99357c0179b4088a3803fbb8a9303d.gif

7 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

My wife has a hobby herself. She is not really into cars. To be fair I have a LOT of models, which I have been collecting for about 40 years, and I have over run the basement. Some of her hobby is in a storage unit, which she pays for. She has been pretty nice under the conditions, and she has turned me on to some good deals on models and tools. So I can also say my wife is a queen, and my best friend.

right on!!!....that's the way its suppose to be:lol:

19 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Mark, I am Definitely saving the box!!....it is in EXCELLENT shape for its age!   -especially compared to others. I thought I was never gonna be able to get one of these, since the "junk" ones usually still start around $150+......most of the nicer, complete ones (which are the hard ones to find) start-in around $345.  Tina tells me she found this one for $117!!  -Not trying to throw numbers around, but just showing that still you never know what you can find. I think a "Bond" diorama would be sweet!  -i'd have to learn how to......i'm not that great at them -lol

Dann...those are way out of my range..LOL.. I would like to build a 007 diorama sometime though.  I have a few movie house give a ways they gave out years ago...scale figures set..the personal underwater jet ski looking things used in the movie Thunderball.   I tried to get the Little Nelly chopper but it was lost in overseas mail somewhere.

I have doubles of most of my kits usually, if I had an extra DB-5, I woulda sent it your way. I have a Little Nellie kit , its actually really nicely detailed. Not trying to pry, or put you on the spot, but there are always Little Nellie kits on ebay for only around $16-20.

43 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

Dann...those are way out of my range..LOL.. I would like to build a 007 diorama sometime though.  I have a few movie house give a ways they gave out years ago...scale figures set..the personal underwater jet ski looking things used in the movie Thunderball.   I tried to get the Little Nelly chopper but it was lost in overseas mail somewhere.

Just keep an eye out for them Mark. I got a glue bomb in a nice box for $10 about a year ago.

Snagged these wheels from a '61 Ford pickup; I'll be casting up some of these sharp-looking cone wheelcovers when they get here (fingers crossed I can pop all four out cleanly!). Now I'll have three different styles of cones I can make.

5a804e99d4892_61fordpickupwheels.jpg.401136d86cd453a2693d03b748ae47b7.jpg

Seems to be little if any tire melt; luck of the draw I guess?

So lately, every time the wife make's me drive to Tuscon for her "shopping need's ", our truck mysteriously break's down just in front of the hobby shop.....

( It's happened twice this week! )

So I got these ... you know .... to "fix" the truck ...

DSCF000114.jpgDSCF000117.jpgDSCF000215.jpgDSCF000317.jpgDSCF000218.jpg

Funny thing ..... The truck started right up !     Wonder how long I can "pull " this stunt, before she catches on....

21 hours ago, John Goschke said:

Presented with this outstanding original box for my '60 ElCamino from an old friend.  Now it has a place to hide from the dust while it awaits its turn on the work bench.2v2JZAWaoxE7U1V.jpg

Very cool John..!   I have that one from my dads old collection...sadly it has no box anymore...I love the old box arts.

A 007 diorama?  I've always wanted to build a diorama of the 007 Aston-Martin under construction at "Q" branch: .303 machine guns on the workbench for the fenders; trunk open with the  oil/smoke tank being installed, etc. Maybe even a figure of Mr. Q himself...

Aoshima did a special "Goldfinger" edition of its 1/24 Aston-Martin DB-5.  It comes with figures of Bond and Oddjob, plus the famous attaché case and AR-7 rifle. The figures are in a separate box inside the kit box, with a black base. They are pretty nicely done. (Bad) pix below.

The kit also has all the 007 doodads: bulletproof shield for the trunk, extending tire-slashers, revolving license plates, etc. It is a curbside kit with no engine. 

Back in 1992, Dave Worrall wrote a great book about the 007 Aston, "The Most Famous Car in the World."  Along with lots of fascinating trivia, it included rare studio photos of the Aston being modified for its role in "Goldfinger."   I was lucky enough to make some work trips to Japan in the 1990s and found a copy of that book in a Tokyo hobby shop, along with the very rare 34-page paperback supplement for it.  It's Unobtainium these days and should be re-printed.

007-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

worrall-book_.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

A 007 diorama?  I've always wanted to build a diorama of the 007 Aston-Martin under construction at "Q" branch: .303 machine guns on the workbench for the fenders; trunk open with the  oil/smoke tank being installed, etc. Maybe even a figure of Mr. Q himself...

Aoshima did a special "Goldfinger" edition of its 1/24 Aston-Martin DB-5.  It comes with figures of Bond and Oddjob, plus the famous attaché case and AR-7 rifle. The figures are in a separate box inside the kit box, with a black base. They are pretty nicely done. (Bad) pix below.

The kit also has all the 007 doodads: bulletproof shield for the trunk, extending tire-slashers, revolving license plates, etc. It is a curbside kit with no engine. 

Back in 1992, Dave Worrall wrote a great book about the 007 Aston, "The Most Famous Car in the World."  Along with lots of fascinating trivia, it included rare studio photos of the Aston being modified for its role in "Goldfinger."   I was lucky enough to make some work trips to Japan in the 1990s and found a copy of that book in a Tokyo hobby shop, along with the very rare 34-page paperback supplement for it.  It's Unobtainium these days and should be re-printed.

007-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

worrall-book_.jpg

That's a really nice kit, I've built a couple of them over the years, and the only thing I would really suggest, is to lower the suspension....it sits way too high. Mike 999, just noticed your number of posts....888    -lol, crazy.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...