Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Busy week. Picked up another Tamiya AMG GT3....I'm up to eight now I think. Hit up Hobby Lobby and got another Foose F100, no more discount kits to be had at my "local" one. I also got another cutting mat for my workbench and two more Hobby Zone modules to expand out some more. I also hit up Michael's last night and to my surprise they have a 50% off coupon so picked up a '70 Cuda to do Dan's Trans Am racer (ala JC's build). I also picked up some supplies from the local hobby store, some Walther's solventset, a nice Tamiya fine detail brush and a new pair of sprue cutters, cause mine were just played out. Now I need to stop buying stuff and build.

20180215_213455-vi.jpg

20180217_102435-vi.jpg

On 1/20/2018 at 10:18 PM, Snake45 said:

Went to HL for the first time since before Christmas. No new kits. Got the Revell Mazda, a couple paints I needed, and a set of these wheels, which I've been wanting to try for a long time now. Turns out they're a little big, but I think I can find SOMETHING to use them on--maybe a 1/24 diecast of some kind. 

https://pinecar.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/P347/page/1

I've played around with these wheels, and I think I have a couple 1/24 diecasts they'll work well for. Meanwhile, at HL today, I noticed that they sell a pinewood derby "car kit" with these 4 wheels, axles, and a big block of wood for $3.97, but JUST the wheels by themselves are $4.97. Dahell? I bought a "kit." I can always use another sanding block, or something. :P

Meanwhile, at Walmart, I bought a set of nice, very fine paintbrushes for $4. 10 brushes in the set, two are VERY fine and four others are still small enough to do moderate detailing. Six good detail brushes for four frogs? I remember over 20 years ago I'd pay more than that for ONE detail paintbrush. Is this a great country or what? 

My haul  yesterday from the Salisbury, NC swap.

The AMT NASCAR kits are for the owner of the slot car track that I race at in Concord NC

Finally found a Lindberg 34 Ford  PU that was molded in white.

The 32 Ford is an empty box in fair shape, couldn't pass it up for $2.00!

swap hual 001.JPG

swap hual 002.JPG

My haul from the big Salisbury, NC swap meet yesterday. Finally got the stuff inventoried and listed in the spread sheets...

Entex 1/16 scale '37 Packard Formal Sedan, still shrink-wrapped

AMT '62 Lincoln convertible, unbuilt in original box; small tire mark on the hood, easily fixed. Otherwise mint, with uncut decals etc.

AMT- ERTL Fireball 500, cheap and mostly wanted for parts and the small trailer.

Bandit Resins Chevy 250 6-cylinder engine and '75-76 Ford pickup grille

Monogram '32 Ford roadster "Drag Strip Hot Rod" - SSP reissue of the '50s kit with the 2-piece body, driver figure and Mercury flathead.  Nostalgia!

Revell '32 Ford Roadster "Classic Cruisers," 1/25 scale. 

Revell '56 Chevy Del Ray 2-dr sedan; original with purple/white car on box

Revell '90 Mustang LX, with CHP parts:  missed them at the big Ollie's sale...

Fast Trax resin conversions, '61 Falcon 2-dr and '71 Trans Am:  I'll try to take some photos and write these up for the Resin thread.  They are VERY well done, almost as thin as styrene and needing very little cleanup.  The underside of the Falcon body even has the depressions from the original kit, that were drilled out for mirrors, antennas etc.  AND the 2 small pins that hold the interior in place!  I tested an original AMT Falcon interior and chassis and they fit perfectly.  Did the same with the Trans Am, which is made to fit the 1/25 MPC kits. Both kits come with clear red tail-lights, and the Falcon has vac-formed glass.  The Trans Am includes a new hood, shaker scoop/base, grilles, rear bumper etc. No plated parts, though.

A bunch of other gewgaws and gimcracks: complete 4-wheel trailer in a bag, from one of the Revell dirt-bike combo kits, I think; a little box stuffed full of MPC Jeepster parts, including the half-hardtop and a complete raised soft top (but no snow plow); some old AMT stuffed animals, concrete blocks and other neat junk.

Worked a trade deal with Tom P. for a '65 Imperial coupe builder; needs some cleanup and rechroming, but complete except wheel backs and axles - but I got those last week when I got the '61 Ford pickup custom wheels. (One thing - the rear bumper is from a '66 - see my trade ad.) 

Got a lot of rare wire wheels, hubcaps and wheelcovers cast - it's taking practice but I'm getting there.

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Worked a trade deal with Tom P. for a '65 Imperial coupe builder; needs some cleanup and rechroming, but complete except wheel backs and axles - but I got those last week when I got the '61 Ford pickup custom wheels. (One thing - the rear bumper is from a '66 - see my trade ad.) 

Got a lot of rare wire wheels, hubcaps and wheelcovers cast - it's taking practice but I'm getting there.

I am fooling around with a 66 Imperial convertible as I write this. I want to bookend it with my 66 Cadillac, and 66 Lincoln Continental convertible conversion. I may paint all three the same color, like what I did with my 66 Ford, Chevy, and Dodge convertibles.

I made a profit...unusual for me, as I'm the king of "buy high, sell low" most of the time.

I bought one of these several months back for right around $100.     image.jpeg.f07f3c6da8670fb9febd3b258232318c.jpeg

One just sold on eBay for $565.  :o

PS. I won't be selling mine. I bought it to build.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

59 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

One just sold on eBay for $565.  :o

PS. I won't be selling mine. I bought it to build.   B)

Wow!  $565, plus $24 shipping from Italy.  And it got 29 bids.  I'm older than dirt, but I don't think I've ever seen that Harley drag bike before. Thanks.

23 hours ago, 426 pack said:

I got this today in a trade with my younger brother.

Hope he went to a good home... 

(sorry, it was too easy...)

Got three usable sets of wheels out of the molds today:

P1120608.thumb.JPG.67dd8e3302a2c4e16316353c24a919f5.JPG

Top to bottom: Car Craft Dream Rod T-bird wire wheels; same thing in 1/24 from the original Monogram '40 Ford pickup, and AMT '58 Impala steelies.

^^^^  I've been telling myself to not get that Jeep kit, even though I like all the cool aftermarket things available for the real thing.

I received military cars lately:

Italeri- Camionetta AS Sahariana.  It had 4 driveshafts going to each wheel.  Also got detail parts for it.
ICM- Mercedes Typ 320 Saloon.  To go with the 170V sedans I got before.
ICM- American Firemen (1910s) 1:24 scale, just for the boy, have a diorama idea.
KA Models- 250GTO Deluxe Pack wheels and other aluminum and photo-etch parts.

I'm really obsessed and possessed lately.......

On 2/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Hope he went to a good home... 

(sorry, it was too easy...)

Got three usable sets of wheels out of the molds today:

P1120608.thumb.JPG.67dd8e3302a2c4e16316353c24a919f5.JPG

Top to bottom: Car Craft Dream Rod T-bird wire wheels; same thing in 1/24 from the original Monogram '40 Ford pickup, and AMT '58 Impala steelies.

Are you interested in trying to cast a couple of bumpers? I'm looking for someone to make a couple for me for some.projects.

http://IMG_20180221_073744868.jpg

http://IMG_20180221_073811856.jpg

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Mailman showed up with a Coke Pete, Tyrone Malone hauler, RM Ford dually and two cans of Testors Guard red paint I needed for my fire trucks. HL used to stock this color but no more. My first mail order ever but I guess the times are changing. Still have more on my wish list.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...