Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Flea Market Day!  The Tom Daniel "Bad Actor"  '60 Chevy panel is the 1980 issue, all inner bags still sealed. It looks shrink-wrapped but is not, the wrap is slit along the bottom. I'm not sure what I want to do with it, so it may end up in the Trading forum.

One vendor had a table full of old bagged FROG 1/72 kits. I don't build many airplanes, but do appreciate oddball kits like the Fairey Firefly.  And that bag marked "I. M. Models?"  That's the even odder Fairey Gannet ASW plane.  Appears to be the FROG kit in a different bag.  The header card says "International Models, Las Vegas NV." 

The FROG Handley-Page Dart Herald in Jersey Airline markings appears to be pretty rare, from a quick internet search.  It has optional standing or sitting pilots and flight attendant.  The kit also came with 2 glass bottles of paint and a tube of glue in the box. The paint and glue are missing in this one, which might be for the best...

The 1:1 scale Walther P-38 is in an AHM box. But appears to be yet another re-box of the good old LS Models kit from the 1970s. 

And another vendor had a whole table full of old aviation books.  I had to really restrain myself and my wallet, though his prices were pretty low.  Settled for a history of Republic Aviation, another of Northrop 1929-39 and a book about American airship bases.  The 2 small kid books were published in 1952, and have many photos of the weird experimental Air Force and Navy aircraft, missiles etc. of the early Fifties.  The vintage Harley tin sign was cheap and should look good in the model cave.

fm-3.JPG

That Bad Actor is a basic kit, but one of my favorites!!!!!

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

What are you using the double sided art tape for?

So I can eventually put regular sand paper on the sanding heads for the PediPerfect, eventually.......

54 minutes ago, Casey said:

Please, no foot pictures. -_-

I picked up a few kits Sunday-- two to re-sell (1/16 Vette & Rat Roaster), two AMT '62 Catalinas for parts, and two Revell '32 Ford Sedans because they aren't coming back any time soon and I want to eventually build one:

WP_20180416_003.thumb.jpg.e87b9252122eba90852012095fc33437.jpg

WP_20180416_009.thumb.jpg.e972fd830134a27b725a73a61c7d11f8.jpg

WP_20180415_016.thumb.jpg.c4042f0e5c7bcd7e5f08f0821be60802.jpg

No problem there Casey:lol:

7 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The 1:1 scale Walther P-38 is in an AHM box. But appears to be yet another re-box of the good old LS Models kit from the 1970s. 

fm-3.JPG

I have one of those, in that very box, I bought in 1971 or 1972, several years before I ever saw or heard of the LS kits. But yes I believe it is the very same kit inside. AHM was a BIG importer of hobby stuff in the '60s; it's likely they were the first importer of these kits.  If I'm not mistaken, AHM was the importer of the Austrian ROCO HO Minitanks (I had dozens of them) and UPC and Fujimi Japanese model airplanes (I had a few of those, too). 

Edited by Snake45

Got my April HLJ shipment (mostly Hasegawa and Fujimi reissues), and a few Revells--an extra '50 Olds for a resin conversion, extra '69 Charger Daytona (want to build one w/ a Hellcat engine), and an extra Dodge Ram VTS (want to use a modern Hemi in it).  A couple days ago got the recent reissues of the '53 Chevy (never had that ex-Monogram kit) , the '94 Impala SS (extra for parts for a resin kit), and an extra '66 Suburban. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Got another Moebius '61 Catalina from my LHS last week.

Then stopped at Hobby Lobby yesterday to see if they had gotten any more of the Revell '85 442 kits: nope.  Also haven't gotten in any more of the stock '70 Chargers.  Luckily I got one of each the one time I saw them, starting to think that was my first and last chance.

My LHS guy said they're both on back order for him.

I hate to be one of those guys, but I'm going into the mode of "better get some of these Revell kits that I've been on the fence about".  Since I had a 40% coupon, I decided I'd get a SnapTite '57 Bel Air, just to get the American Racing Salt Flat wheels.  I can picture those on a lot of potential projects, and I figure I may need to start casting some for myself.

I've debated getting one of these kits for years, but until recently it seemed like it would be available forever (and for cheap).  Now, there's no telling.

That's why I ordered a few Revell kits on Friday from my favorite online vendor (Model Roundup) and a few eBay sellers..who knows what will happen once they go out of stock, and when they will be back in stock...knocked a few items off my 2018 to-buy list...

Today I made the biggest model order I have ever made that includes the galaxy 21ft bumper pull  trailer, galaxy 38ft gooseneck trailer, mpc el-Camino with dirt bike, amt Tyrone Malone supper boss, revell 94 Chevy Impala, revell Baja Bronco and some styrene.

I will post pics when they come.

Edited by 426 pack

Yesterday a brand new Hobby Lobby opened just a few miles from my house.  Since it was Grand Opening day, the place was really busy.  The store had all the newer kits that should be available in any HL right now.  I used the 40% off coupon to get the MPC '86 El Camino with trail bike.  Might build a beat-up Elky to experiment with my other purchase:  the Vallejo "Rust, Streaking and Staining" acrylic paint set. You can never have too many rust paint colors...

EDIT: I just opened the El Camino.  The box says "injected in Black Pearl" and I wanted to check that out.  It's molded in a color I would call Dark Anthracite Gray (or something like that).  The pearl flakes are nicely in scale and this might be a kit to just polish and clear-coat...if you can live with the sink marks in the body. The ones that jumped out at me are along the upper sides of both front fenders.  The Trail Bike is molded in red plastic (as the box says).

Edited by Mike999
omission

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...