Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Nice Bill! Let me guess.....Does it have the custom tail lights glued in? That was one of the hardest parts about finding a good candidate for restoration. Everybody seemed to want to glue in those "bubble" tail lights, usually ruining the rear bumper. I finally found a good, mostly unbuilt kit without the tail lights installed. I still have a very nice '60 Merc hard top to build. I just need to find a decent rear bumper! :D

Steve

DSCN3173_zpsql1ri0uf.jpg

Steve,

You made me go look. Sure enough it does. But they popped right out with nearly no effort and I think the bumper is very re-usuable with new red lenses . Did I dodge a bullitt ?

It looks like the backup lenses were also a seperate lens ?

How about we just trade ,,,mine for yours .????? I'll pay postage both ways !!!!!!!!!

You dont really like convertibles anyway right .

I really like the lines of this body style . and the back bumper design is just cool . Need less to say this one is on my short list ( need to realy stock up on some BMF foil first ) The 58 Bonneville nearly wiped out a full sheet on its own

Picked this up today @ Hobby Lobby. Thought I'd try my hand at casting a few small parts that I always seem to be in need of, like window cranks & mirrors. I'm starting small with a few window cranks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

DSCN4004_zpsntbe6zlt.jpg

good stuff to work with just dries way to fast but small stuff is great all I use.

Steve,

You made me go look. Sure enough it does. But they popped right out with nearly no effort and I think the bumper is very re-usuable with new red lenses . Did I dodge a bullitt ?

It looks like the backup lenses were also a seperate lens ?

How about we just trade ,,,mine for yours .????? I'll pay postage both ways !!!!!!!!!

You dont really like convertibles anyway right .

I really like the lines of this body style . and the back bumper design is just cool . Need less to say this one is on my short list ( need to realy stock up on some BMF foil first ) The 58 Bonneville nearly wiped out a full sheet on its own

That's the best part about chrome plated bumpers on these old kits. It acts as a barrier to the model cement. Sometimes, if they didn't go too heavy on the glue, it won't damage the bumpers. The back up lights on this kit did not have separate lenses.

I'm confident you don't need mine Bill. I'm sure yours will look great when it's finished. :)

Steve

good stuff to work with just dries way to fast but small stuff is great all I use.

That's good to know Darren. I was really just taking a shot in the dark with this. I have no experience with casting resin parts. I removed a couple of window cranks from a Revell '59 Chevy kit & have the silicon mold curing right now. Instructions say 8-18 hours to cure & then I'll try casting & see if it was worth the $30.00. :)

Steve

Ok, you made me curious. So I did a google image search for 60 Mercury Parklane ,,,,,. Turns out it had a custom insert in the grille.

Took my fingernail and it popped right out and you cant tell it was ever there. I feel much better now .

I dont care for the 4 bar spinner wheelcovers it has though. Are the ones on yours modelhaus pieces ?

I am leaning towards this for mine not sure about an interior color though .

That's good to know Darren. I was really just taking a shot in the dark with this. I have no experience with casting resin parts. I removed a couple of window cranks from a Revell '59 Chevy kit & have the silicon mold curing right now. Instructions say 8-18 hours to cure & then I'll try casting & see if it was worth the $30.00. :)

1FEC5039-A099-49BF-AC66-2908A0197F08_zps

all of these pieces were made with a one piece mold from the same casting kit most of all for my current Egyptian Raider build.

Steve I have used this brand for over 10 years and even larger items it gives great detail in the parts, I have done mostly 1 piece parts but if you look at my builds I use a ton of casted parts you will love the results by just following the instructions and next time you go to hobby lobby use the 40% coupon they have on their website or the smart phone app i get it for 20.00 for that same mini casting kit.

Edited by Darren B

Steve as a side note I have used silly putty to mold stuff that small using 5 min epoxy, you take the window crank and place it on a sheet of glass then take a ball of silly putty and take a smaller piece of it off and place over the part and press really hard after that put in freezer for an hour or so then remove from freezer remove the part and mix the five min epoxy and pour in the putty, let cure and let putty get back to room temperature and then you can remove the part from the putty I have had good luck with that method on tiny parts, plus the putty is reusable again.

Ok, you made me curious. So I did a google image search for 60 Mercury Parklane ,,,,,. Turns out it had a custom insert in the grille.

Took my fingernail and it popped right out and you cant tell it was ever there. I feel much better now .

I dont care for the 4 bar spinner wheelcovers it has though. Are the ones on yours modelhaus pieces ?

I am leaning towards this for mine not sure about an interior color though .

I like it Bill! Although the car in the photo is a Monterey, not a Parklane. But the yellow does look sharp! & I actually like the metallic brown interior. I think if I was doing it in the yellow, I'd think seriously about that color interior.

The hubcaps on mine are original to the kit, but I swiped the wheels from another kit & used a set if Modelhaus tires. I do actually have a set of the hubcaps from Modelhaus that I will eventually be using for the hardtop when I build it. They look every bit as good as the originals.

Funny part is, I ordered a set of '60 Merc hubcaps many years ago for a glue bomb convertible that I came across but never built, so when I got a hold of the hardtop, I thought I was good for hubcaps. Unfortunately, Over the years, I lost one of them & had to buy another set.

So if it helps at all, I have a set of 3 hubcaps I don't need. :D

Steve

1FEC5039-A099-49BF-AC66-2908A0197F08_zps

all of these pieces were made with a one piece mold from the same casting kit most of all for my current Egyptian Raider build.

Steve I have used this brand for over 10 years and even larger items it gives great detail in the parts, I have done mostly 1 piece parts but if you look at my builds I use a ton of casted parts you will love the results by just following the instructions and next time you go to hobby lobby use the 40% coupon they have on their website or the smart phone app i get it for 20.00 for that same mini casting kit.

Looks great Darren! That's all I needed to see! If you can do that with one of these kits, a few window cranks should be a snap!

One question though. How many times can a mold be re-used? If I could get a couple dozen sets of window cranks out of this mold, it would be well worth the price!

Steve

Steve as a side note I have used silly putty to mold stuff that small using 5 min epoxy, you take the window crank and place it on a sheet of glass then take a ball of silly putty and take a smaller piece of it off and place over the part and press really hard after that put in freezer for an hour or so then remove from freezer remove the part and mix the five min epoxy and pour in the putty, let cure and let putty get back to room temperature and then you can remove the part from the putty I have had good luck with that method on tiny parts, plus the putty is reusable again.

That's funny Darren, because my original intention was to go to Hobby Lobby & pick up some modeling clay & try the same technique you've described with clay for the mold & just some Testors "Window Maker" glue for the cranks. :) When I got there & started looking at the casting kits, I decided to try that.

Steve

Looks great Darren! That's all I needed to see! If you can do that with one of these kits, a few window cranks should be a snap!

One question though. How many times can a mold be re-used? If I could get a couple dozen sets of window cranks out of this mold, it would be well worth the price!

Steve

all of the molds I have made I still have some of my speaker and skull molds I have made at least a hundred of each and the molds are still like the day I poured them, only more intricate molds would wear down faster if they are two part with a lot of under cuts, I molded a custom lowrider seat once and only got about 25 out of the molds till it tore apart because it had some serious under cuts around the arms of the seat, but window cranks you should be able to make unlimited amount of them and still have a perfect mold. I have only lost two molds out of the say 100 i have made heres a pic of my mold collection.

AC725C2F-DFA9-413D-8BC5-57AC5EFFE2C0_zps

all of the molds I have made I still have some of my speaker and skull molds I have made at least a hundred of each and the molds are still like the day I poured them, only more intricate molds would wear down faster if they are two part with a lot of under cuts, I molded a custom lowrider seat once and only got about 25 out of the molds till it tore apart because it had some serious under cuts around the arms of the seat, but window cranks you should be able to make unlimited amount of them and still have a perfect mold. I have only lost two molds out of the say 100 i have made heres a pic of my mold collection.

AC725C2F-DFA9-413D-8BC5-57AC5EFFE2C0_zps

Cool!!! Thanks for your help Darren! It's greatly appreciated!

Steve

At the D.A.A.M show I bought the reissue 1/20 scale AMX,the 1/16 scale Hawaiian funny car,the reissue '32 Ford Victoria and whole bunch of photoetch and decal items.

If I don't find anything else first, that 1:20 AMX, might just be the next one on my "to do" pile.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...