Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I got me a amt alacart and model a roadster glue bomb. Jimmyflintstone 26 t roadster 29 coupe revell slingster new tool and new 29 roadster.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMT-DOUBLE-29-MODEL-A-FORD-ROADSTER-ALA-KART-3-IN-1-MODEL-KIT-BARRIS-1960s-/201517678554?hash=item2eeb63bfda:g:XboAAOSwL7VWs7H1

Thanks!  I plan to do that, Working on it.  The body's painted and I was about to start decaling when...

I found several online build reviews of the Cosmo racing kit, including one by Chuck Most.  All 3 mentioned pretty serious decal problems - ripping, sticking to the paper, etc. 

Decided to test that with the "extra" decals at the bottom of the sheet - the kit name etc.  I applied these to an old kit body. Sure enough, they didn't want to come off the paper, even after a lengthy soak in warm water.  And ripped when they finally did come off. 

Part of the problem may just be age - this decal sheet is dated "6.1994." So before I leap into it any more and ruin anything, I'm going to scan/copy the decals and print them out so I have a back-up sheet.

I had no issues with my Cosmo decals, but I could tell they were stubborn coming off the paper. I decided not to chance the yellow side stripe and just painted that one on.

Well, thanks Bill. And also I can tell the differences between these 2 kits for I did done 1 787B from Tamiya right after I see the real one in Hiroshima.

de facto, you can easily find many review for Tamiya 787b .. it's famous and really good.

Tamiya 787B is much more ..eh..abundant? I don't know how to say that..Tamiya 787B has the almost whole engine parts but the Hasegawa 767B has no engine parts.  So we called that a curbside model? I'm sorry :(I don't really know the word curbside means...

On the other hands, Tamiya 787B made the lines for the real car green stickers on the model so it going to be easy for us to paint the body. Hasegawa did not do that. All of 2 kits provide the decals for the whole car green livery.

About the body proportions I take a photo right now.. i think it looks good to me ;)

but the Hasegawa kit all packed together in one plastic bag including transparent parts and decals with no protection.

after nearly 20 years... yellow decals! <_<

at last i may say Mazda belongs to Japan so as Hasegawa. I do think the hasegawa 767B is not bad at all.

Nie, thanks for the comparison of the two kits, and the picture showing the bodies of both side-by-side. They do look to be pretty much the same in terms of proportions. My understanding of a curbside model refers to no engine, chassis or interior detail. These days, most people refer to a car with no engine detail as a curbside.

Got a resin Chevron B-16 in 1/24. Interesting model, very thin resin reinforced inside with fiberglass cloth. A few symmetry and parallel issues, and it seems big for the scale...the real cars are quite small...but a great starting point for one of my all-time favorite racing cars (probably in part because it's the first one I ever worked on).

Image result for chevron B 16

DSCN3201

If it were me....I myself would leave it like it is but if one was very very careful and taped it off really good you could just wipe a small rag with some thinner very carefully till the vinyl top paint is pretty much gone using a rag that is only kind of damp instead of soaked so it does not run down to the rest of it..???

Another stripper worth trying might be "Finger Nail Polish Remover"

I used to use it for stripping enamels years ago with pretty fair results.

I would mask off the rest of the body & then just use "pads" of paper towel soaked in the remover to slowly work on the top paint.

Don't soak the paper towel so "wet" that it runs under the tape & ruins the body paint, & don't use straight Acetone.

While finger nail polish remover is made from primarily acetone, it is diluted to less than full strength.

Full strength acetone will begin to melt the plastic.

You should even be careful with the finger nail polish remover.

It too can damage the plastic, but it is less likely.

Steve

I don't usually get started kits, but this one was free, so I thought I'd give it a go, not that I need anymore Trabant's, at the moment the painted parts are sitting in a plastic tub after being sprayed with Fairy power spray, I've not yet found a paint this stuff won't strip, although the body is putting up a good fight, although it has that much paint on it, the panel lines have all been filled in.

Another stripper worth trying might be "Finger Nail Polish Remover"

Steve

Thanks Steve, I was going to ask about aceton. I'll try first with the purple stuff I bought ages ago, I think from Scale Finishes. This has worked for most paints I've tried. As I said above, I won't be trying to preserve the lower body paint as I intend a full repaint.

Looks really clean and crisp,nice buy. I`m on the search for a tub and seats fro one of these,but they are rarely parted out.

Keep in touch Tommy.

I have another one of these coming in a trade with another member.

I'll be combining the 2 to make one nice build so I should have quite a few spare parts, including a second complete interior tub. :)

Steve

Keep in touch Tommy.

I'll be combining the 2 to make one nice build so I should have quite a few spare parts, including a second complete interior tub. :)

Steve

Parts...?....like what if Tommy does not need them first..?  I have a badly damaged 68 and 69 and 70 HT.

Keep in touch Tommy.

Steve

It would be fantastic and i really appriciate it :) Ebay shipping is killing me these days. 

Just shoot me a message when you figure out what is left of the 62 cars and i`m sure we could make a deal. 

Tommy

Got a resin Chevron B-16 in 1/24. Interesting model, very thin resin reinforced inside with fiberglass cloth. A few symmetry and parallel issues, and it seems big for the scale...the real cars are quite small...but a great starting point for one of my all-time favorite racing cars (probably in part because it's the first one I ever worked on).

Image result for chevron B 16

DSCN3201

Had to Google it. Actually a very pretty looking race car. 

Thanks Steve, I was going to ask about aceton. I'll try first with the purple stuff I bought ages ago, I think from Scale Finishes. This has worked for most paints I've tried. As I said above, I won't be trying to preserve the lower body paint as I intend a full repaint.

If you're planning on a full repaint, I would ignore the Acetone.

Other things will work much better with no risk.

Steve

Over the weekend, I got in a lot containing a 1967 Chevy Impala, a 1966 Chevy Malibu flip-nose street rod, and a crappy 1957 Chevy kit (old Revell Hot Rod series).  Also got in a Full Detail Chezoom by Boyd Coddington.  The Impala is pretty complete.  A little soak in the stripper will clear it up.  The Malibu is a little rough, but nothing that can't be fixed.  I think I'm gonna make it a straight gasser.  The Chezoom will be built "stock", except for the missing wheels and tires.  Those will be parts box spares.  

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...