Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Well, there seems to be SOMETHING weird about that Hobby Lobby price of $39.99.  I just checked several on-line stores:

HobbyLinc:  shows full retail price of $31.49, their price is $21.29. Showing as "Out Of Stock," but that probably means it just hasn't arrived yet and can be pre-ordered.

MegaHobby: shows full retail price of $31.95, their price is $26.20.

Model Roundup: no full retail price shown, their price is $24.90.  Not in yet, expected to arrive Aug. 31.

Spotlight Hobbies: no full retail price shown, their price is $25.95. "Expected the last week of August. You can order now and the order will be shipped as soon as they arrive."

I just don't see how they are coming up with that. I wonder if HL has a price match type of guarantee?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They won't even accept anybody else's coupons, the way other hobby/craft stores do.

I saw the $39.99 price printed somewhere, a magazine or something, so I suppose that's MSRP. I have no idea why. Expensive licensing deal, perhaps?

Pheww, I am tried, been chasing one of these kits for long time that didnt have a long OOP price to go with it.

I'm out of breath myself from chasing those.  They tend to be REALLY expensive on eBay.  I have 2 Range Rovers bought at kit swap meets. Neither has the roof rack, bull-bar and running boards of yours.  One of them does have a resin left-hand-drive dashboard in the box. Probably from American SATCO, since it made LHD dashes for a lot of those Japanese kits.

I'm out of breath myself from chasing those.  They tend to be REALLY expensive on eBay.  I have 2 Range Rovers bought at kit swap meets. Neither has the roof rack, bull-bar and running boards of yours.  One of them does have a resin left-hand-drive dashboard in the box. Probably from American SATCO, since it made LHD dashes for a lot of those Japanese kits.

I got it for $40 plus a lot in shipping,  the only reason why it was being sold so cheap was the seller is claiming the decals are no good, not sure how they know as they are inside one of the sealed parts bag, and look to be usable , but we know how looks can be.

I still would like to get the version you have, aka stock, and there some listed, but I dont think I really want to spend close a $100 for one right this moment.

I know this is going to sound weird to you non-Californians, but I got a gallon of the real deal automotive lacquer thinner when the brown truck showed up today.  Not the watered down Home Depot/Lowes BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH but real full strength, hard core automotive grade lacquer thinner.  I took eleven days and had to be routed through a friend in another state to get it, but this will keep me in business with the old DuPont lacquers that I have been using for years.  Oh and all total it cost me a little over $60.  :blink:  My last gallon lasted me a little of 10 years so I should be good to go!

Edited by Pete J.

Flea Market Day!  I got a mint LINDBERG '53 Ford hardtop cheap, because you can't have too many of those.  Also a started but complete REVELL '67 Chevelle SS396, a great parts source.

The Steal of the Day was the die-cast 1/24 Franklin Mint '24 Hispano-Suiza Tulipwood Sportster for $10. Always wanted one of those, but not at their regular prices.  No box or paperwork, but I don't care.  It's complete and looks great, with all that wood and copper trim.

Also got a dirt-cheap 1/24 Danbury Mint '49 Chrysler Town & Country woody convertible.  Part of the windshield frame is missing but fixable, and the paint has some weird bubbles in it on the right front fender.  It looks almost like rust bubbling up from underneath on a real car.  I might fix the windshield, throw a surfboard on top, and make it a beach car.  A different kind of Woody Wagon, you might say...

Got this on Monday. Not hobby related, but definitely hobby impacting. 

Name is Thysyn ( Tie-sin) he's a Old English Bulldog/Boxer mix and he just turned 7 weeks on Sunday, so I think bench time might be somewhat hard to come by for awhile.

David

Also got a dirt-cheap 1/24 Danbury Mint '49 Chrysler Town & Country woody convertible.  Part of the windshield frame is missing but fixable, and the paint has some weird bubbles in it on the right front fender.  It looks almost like rust bubbling up from underneath on a real car. 

Sorry to tell you it may be the beginning of the metal rot that is happening on some of these cars:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/84143-what-the-heck-is-happening-here/

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Sorry to tell you it may be the beginning of the metal rot that is happening on some of these cars:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/84143-what-the-heck-is-happening-here/

Wow! A little scary reading the above link. I knew it could happen with Hot Wheels, but not other stuff. I'm glad I'm not a big collector of diecast stuff.

I wonder where the dies to this one went? I like Chaparrals. Again, I wonder how this one compared old Monogram and IMC Chaparrels?

I've no idea about the Dies. This one has issues with the Cockpit area, but isn't bad enough to toss out;) I'm also a Chaparral Fan (see Avatar ;) ) Except for the 2G I have 1/24-5 Kits for all the White Chaparral 2's

Thanks!  That sure was interesting. Yep, it looks exactly like that "metal rot." 

Looking over the model, I noticed a few other problems. The bottom front edge of the hood has broken and looks like it's disintegrating.  Oh well - the car was dirt cheap, and I can harvest a lot of good parts like the window cranks, seats, wide whitewall tires.  Hmmm...a street rod with a Chrysler Straight-8 engine...

At the same Flea Market, I recently found a Danbury Mint '53 Buick Skylark with quite a bit of damage and missing trim.  Bought it for $3, mostly just to get the fantastic wire wheels.

I was worried about the humidity angle, since I live in Upstate SC where it gets very humid.  But that doesn't appear to be the problem.  I have quite a few diecasts, some loose and some still in the original box.  Haven't seen the Rot on any of them so far. Not even cheapies like the Jada '53 Cadillacs.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...