Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

From ebay UK a few days ago..............

amt%20Surf%20Woody_zpsji2sk9iv.jpg

It won't be built quite like that. A Surf Woody with those tyres? Nah!

1_zpsojpeeam1.jpg

Now this came part built as described, that's the whole floor, seat, rollcage (interesting to paint and set seat belt decals) etc, but not the front suspension, goody! I was soooooooooooo disappointed with my last build, a Nascar Phantom Craftsman Truck because it was too high at the front. so I will lower the front of this onto the deck!

I also bought some JDM decals for Liberty Walk or Tuner builds.

Edited by PatW

Well, I took a chance on a junkyard lot on Ebay.  In this mess is a near mint original issue Johan 1960 Plymouth. ( mainly the one I was after)

An original issue Hero Imperial  and original issue Johan Superbird with the metal axles . A so so 66 Monaco hardtop, I think an original issue 68 Corvette, Not sure what year the other vette is .  The rest of just  'meh '

I'll keep the 60 Fury  and the SuperBird, I'll off the rest to someone else

s-l1600.jpg

Well, I took a chance on a junkyard lot on Ebay.  In this mess is a near mint original issue Johan 1960 Plymouth. ( mainly the one I was after)

An original issue Hero Imperial  and original issue Johan Superbird with the metal axles . A so so 66 Monaco hardtop, I think an original issue 68 Corvette, Not sure what year the other vette is .  The rest of just  'meh '

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, that's an amazing haul! That Elky is a find, too, if it's an original '69 and not a "new" '68. I'd restore that Superbird as-is, not strip and repaint it. The silver Covette in the foreground is an original annual AMT '65 or '66--I'd have to see better pictures to tell which. Would like to see better pics of the C3 silver Vette in the rear, too--I might be able to tell you more about it. The blue 1G Camaro might be an old annual too--need to see a better pic of it. If you got this lot for less than $150, you did well.

Testors used to make a Candy Pink that looked EXACTLY like that when sprayed over black.  Back in the '80s my brother had a can he wasn't going to use, so he gave it to me.  When sprayed over white or silver it was a very bright sort of magenta shade (they may have called it candy purple, but it definitely was closest to pink).  Being young and poor, I was dead set on using it, so I decided to spray it over Testors black on a Johan Comet Pro Stock kit.

Turned out the way you describe: looked black under normal light, unless it was next to one of my pure black models.  You could also see the plum effect if it was in bright sunlight.  I was quite pleased with the results at the time, and it was one of my favorite builds.

Later in the '90s I decided to blow it apart and try to rebuild it closer to factory stock (the nose up stance was totally out of vogue in 1:1 at the time).  Stripped the body in Pine Sol, and everything has been sitting in a box ever since.  Now I wish I would have let it be...

Thanks for the info. I think you might be right. The under-body overspray on white plastic is a candy red with a purplish tint to it. Whatever it is, the stuff is TOUGH. I had to lay heavy on the Wright's to get some of the silver off the windshield frame, and I didn't come close to burning through it. Rubbing alcohol also didn't touch it. And it's got an impressive shine to it--I'm not even gonna rub this thing out, except for polishing a VERY few little rough spots here and there.

s-l1600.jpg

Wow Bill!

That's quite a group!

One of the first things that struck me was the original builders sense of color.

A blue '60 Plymouth with a red interior, a gold '65 Dodge with a blue interior, & a purple '66 Imperial with a pink & tan interior!!? :blink:

Remind me to never hire this guy to paint my house! :D

Steve

s-l1600.jpg

Nice haul there Bill.

Wow, that's an amazing haul! That Elky is a find, too, if it's an original '69 and not a "new" '68. . The blue 1G Camaro might be an old annual too--need to see a better pic of it. If you got this lot for less than $150, you did well.

How do I tell the year of the el camino ? Considering none of this stuff is modern I have serious doubts its a NEW 68 ,,was there an original issue 68 and / or 69 ?

The Camaro is I think an older issue 68 ,

The Imperial is one of the 'Hero' versions with all the western goodads ,,,so not sure the year ,,thinking 64 or 65 ?  Its would need stock bumpers to build it replica stock

The red Silouette isnt real bad and might even clean up pretty well with some detailing

The Sentry funnycar , ,,doubts it worth anything by the time you add shipping. might offer it as a freebie with one or some of the rest

The 65 Dodge is going to need the most work. The rear bumper and glass are both  MIA and part of the cowl is broken , plus it has the custom hood . probably fixable,,,to someone else

The white one in back is a Studebaker gasser looking thing with the twin blown  engine and clear hood.

I added up a value of $10 per car, and I got them for considerably  less than that ,,IMO I think I did good. But was worried sick till they showed up. Hoping the 60 Plymouth was,,,, A - an original ( it is ) and B , not all glue bombed up ( it isnt )  . Best I can tell so far is its REALLY nice .

With this haul and my other ebay buys last week, My toy fund took a hit bigtime last week. Bought two 1964 Buick convertibles and a 65 Buick hardtop. My plan is keep the best of the two 64 Buicks and off the other one. The 65 will stay with me to replicate the 1st car I ever drove / learned to drive in.

Edited by gtx6970

How do I tell the year of the el camino ? Considering none of this stuff is modern I have serious doubts its a NEW 68 ,,was there an original issue 68 and / or 69 ?

There was an original annual '69 El Camino only, no '68.  The '68 is the modern tooling only w/ the vinyl top molded in.   

?

DSC01051.JPG

Definitely a "new" '68. Not entirely worthless, but worth much less than a nice orig '69 would be in that condition. They're about to reissue that kit with a Soap Box Derby car, so value of your Elky would be about half of what the new one will cost with a 40% off HL coupon. Still would be a fun project to clean up a little and display. I'm getting more and more into that kind of thing these days (see my "new" '67 Vette project above).

New issue Elky's have front bumperguards, and clear HL. Thats what this looks to be. 65 Goat looks like later issue too, as no sunvisors. 

I looked at that lot, but figured someone needed it more than I. Nice score. 

The Vette looks like a 65, I think I see fuelie script on fender above vents. IIRC, 65's had HT too.  

The Imperial has the Hero rear bumper, but the rocker panel had fringe molded to it! It had Horseshoes on the doorhandles too. It was a modded 66, issued later as pickup only "Western Pickup". I've got 1 Hero MIB and 2 MIB pickups for some insane reason. Is that a Camaro, or a Firebird? Intake looks like the "new" tool Camaro that's probably 35 yrs old now. Thread around here with pics I think. 

Art, lets see the Ferguson, still waiting for mine to turn into an 8N.  

Lots of cool scores, love the M6's. Show the Alfa, I've not seen one unboxed, Protar spooked me after the awful W196. 

New issue Elky's have front bumperguards, and clear HL. Thats what this looks to be. 65 Goat looks like later issue too, as no sunvisors. 

I looked at that lot, but figured someone needed it more than I. Nice score. 

The Vette looks like a 65, I think I see fuelie script on fender above vents. IIRC, 65's had HT too.  

The Imperial has the Hero rear bumper, but the rocker panel had fringe molded to it! It had Horseshoes on the doorhandles too. It was a modded 66, issued later as pickup only "Western Pickup". I've got 1 Hero MIB and 2 MIB pickups for some insane reason. Is that a Camaro, or a Firebird? Intake looks like the "new" tool Camaro that's probably 35 yrs old now. Thread around here with pics I think. 

Thanks all. The sole purpose I bid was to win the 60 Plymouth. I felt ' if' '  it was nice ( it is btw )  it was easily worth my max bid . All the rest would be resell or trade fodder. The Superbird is nice enough I'll keep it. The paint on the 65 GTO is decent so I may just clean it up,,,,,,and do some detail / bmf  work and put it in the case ( I don't have one built )  All the rest is going to go away ,,one way or another.

btw,,its a 68 Camaro. and am pretty sure its not an original annual ,,,I'm thinking a mid 80s version . Again, I don't have one in the stash so I'm not opposed to redoing it as a Dave Strickler drag car ( much later on)

The Vettes are an original AMT 68 and a 65 . Both have the hardtop glued on . Best I can tell all the emblems are intact on both . And a surprise was when they showed up was the original box for both the 60 Plymouth and the 68 Vette.

The Studio 27 BAR 007 I scored off HLJ during their current sale arrived this morning complete with questionable spelling on the decal sheet. 

' LOOK LFET '  ??? A quick clip with the scissors will sort it. Funny thing is it is spelled correctly on the white decals on the same sheet. 

IMG_4890_zpsg1x24mfu.JPG

Edited by Roncla

The Studio 27 BAR 007 I scored off HLJ during their current sale arrived this morning complete with questionable spelling on the decal sheet. 

' LOOK LFET '  ??? A quick clip with the scissors will sort it. Funny thing is it is spelled correctly on the white decals on the same sheet. 

IMG_4890_zpsg1x24mfu.jpg

:blink:.  Doesn't anyone proof-read anymore?

Mail man dropped off these 2.

AMT 1964 Buick conv and a 65 Buick hardtop .

I Wasn't really looking for them per say. But Ebay suggested I take a look based off my buying habits. ( not sure how I feel about that right now ) So I figured ohh what the heck.

I don't normally look for hardtops ,,,but my parents used to have a 65 Buick hardtop and I learned to drive in it, So i made a last minute bid and won them both

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Flea Market Day. Found 5 of the MAISTO 1/24 Harleys for a decent price: '36 EL Knucklehead, '62 FLH Duo-Glide, '68 FLH Electra-Glide, '00 Street Stalker and '00 Screaming Eagle Road Glide.  Already had some, but a few more don't hurt.  These seem to be getting harder to find and make great fillers for dioramas. And pickup trucks.

maisto.JPG

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...