Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Good day at the local toy show.

JADA 1/24 '65 Falcon, like new--$5. It's got those big goofy JADA wheels/tires, but the body looks otherwise good. I think I can put some decent rolling stock on it and have a nice Falcon. Will Pro-Street it if nothing else. Can probably swap off the JADA wheels here, too.

Revell '69 Mustang CJ, new, shrinkwrapped--$5. It even comes with a little Hot Wheels or Johnny Lightning car, too.

Three Corvette promos, '98, '99, and I forget what the other was, I think an early '90s, but all three--$11. All are a little dirty but undamaged and complete and should respond to some Snake-Fu. Guy had an entire table of Corvette diecasts and promos at unbelievable prices. He had a LOT of nice 1/18 diecasts priced at $5-$15, but I'm not into that scale. All of them were a little dirty/shelfworn but would have cleaned up beautifully. If they'd been 1/24, I'd have come home broke.

Not today. But end of last week mail man dropped of my latest. A really good looking 1963 Ford Galaxie convertible builtup.

Paint is really nice / shiny dark brown color. That I think I may just leave it as is. Originally I just bought it to get the stock wheel covers for another one I have . All the  original chrome is REALLY nice shape and reasonably shiny.

But after looking it over once it arrived.  I think I'll just add some bare metal foil to the body. Take the chrome pen to detail the interior and call it done and put it in the case. Interior was painted this fugly light cream / beige color. But its already been stripped and painted in a semi gloss black.

Another missing element for the semi-grail future build shelf. When I was much younger, I owned or worked on jus' 'bout every flavor of Corvair there was, except a Greenbrier pickup. Wish I'd kept the '64 Spyder convertible, and the ex-D-production '66 140 coupe. The turbo seized in the Spyder (very common), and she got pretty slow...but she went to a Corvair-only collection and had a nice home. The 140 coupe had been gutted for racing, and was a lot like driving around in a very loud steel trash can. She'd also been crashed, straightened, and patched back together so many times, the tub was just too far gone to restore. When fatigue cracks showed up in the front suspension mount points, the engine and gearbox came out, and the rest is probably Nissan Jukes by now. Oh well. I've thought it might be fun to build a couple of old Corvairs in 1/25 the way I would have liked to back then in the short-money days.

This one is an almost virgin-and-complete '62 Styline kit. I didn't even know the old Corvair had ever even been OFFERED as a Styline. A previous owner had already opened the engine lid, and did a pretty decent job. Won't take much work to make it right.

s-l1600.jpg

So it wouldn't be too lonely as the only Corvair here, I also picked up a cheap '69 repop to keep it company.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for that photo, Bill - I've been trying to ID a set of 13" wheels I have with open slots; looks like they come from that kit. I also have a Craftsman '64 Monza in progress.

Are you going to add an engine and rear suspension? The Revell Ed Roth "Road Agent" kit has the early Corvair setup.

Good luck with it!

Another missing element for the semi-grail future build shelf. When I was much younger, I owned or worked on jus' 'bout every flavor of Corvair there was, except a Greenbrier pickup. Wish I'd kept the '64 Spyder convertible, and the ex-D-production '66 140 coupe. The turbo seized in the Spyder (very common), and she got pretty slow...but she went to a Corvair-only collection and had a nice home. The 140 coupe had been gutted for racing, and was a lot like driving around in a very loud steel trash can. She'd also been crashed, straightened, and patched back together so many times, the tub was just too far gone to restore. When fatigue cracks showed up in the front suspension mount points, the engine and gearbox came out, and the rest is probably Nissan Jukes by now. Oh well. I've thought it might be fun to build a couple of old Corvairs in 1/25 the way I would have liked to back then in the short-money days.

This one is an almost virgin-and-complete '62 Styline kit. I didn't even know the old Corvair had ever even been OFFERED as a Styline. A previous owner had already opened the engine lid, and did a pretty decent job. Won't take much work to make it right.

s-l1600.jpg

So it wouldn't be too lonely as the only Corvair here, I also picked up a cheap '69 repop to keep it company.

s-l1600.jpg

I have a 60 Corvair Styline kit.  It is packed away for moving at this time, but I think it had an engine for display.  But, I won't be able to dig it out until after the move.

Chevy 02 - Copy.JPG

Our annual swap meet/contest was today, so I was able to snatch one of my grail kits that I can now check off the list. Not at all a really unusual kit, just one that I'd been wanting for some time now. Built one (horror story), loved it, but all I have now are photos of it, so I'll do 'er up again.

09 09 17 015.jpg

OK, so Sunday I inventoried the kit for completeness (it is), but the chrome on the wheels is just horrible. While I can probably use other wheels, scavenged elsewhere, I'm thinking of having these re-chromed. Any suggestions as to a reputable source for this sort of work?

"One Adam-12..."  A grail kit I've tried to find for a LONG time.  The R&R Vacuum Craft 1968 Plymouth Belvedere 4-door resin kit.  With stock hood, correct seats and door panels. Got it off eBay.  Not cheap, but they don't come around very often. 

68plym.jpg

Picked this up off evilbay today. All parts are in original, sealed packaging. Only hitch was that somebody had brush painted some black enamel on the top of the body. I figured it was time for me to try stripping anyway. And for $11 delivered to the door, I couldn't pass it up. The shipping is almost half the eleven bucks. I might use this as my first build. I'm getting close to actually starting a build. I keep putting it off for various reasons, primarily because we still have more to do with the remodel of the new house. Kind of makes me feel guilty to mess around with modeling when I should be painting the bathroom or something else.

63impalass-vi.png

Saturday: Starkey and Hutch Torino that I hope to turn into a Junie Dunlevey 1976 Lemans entrant, purchased at Michaels with coupon.

36378595544_6a525d5030.jpg

Monday: Revell DE Porsche 934 that I haven't decided which livery to use.  Purchased at my closest hobby/toy shop-68 miles from home.

As an aside, how could I have missed the fact that the Torino is molded in red and the Porsche in orange.  I'd gotten SO used to white or grey.

Edited by The Junkman

Three Corvette promos, '98, '99, and I forget what the other was, I think an early '90s, but all three--$11. All are a little dirty but undamaged and complete and should respond to some Snake-Fu.

The third one (after a little research) turn out to be a '95 with LAST ZR1 on the license plate. The '98 and '99 turn out to be molded in metallic colors, which is good--I can polish them. (Was worried that they were paint and I wouldn't be able to polish, only clean.) The metallic red one is missing its top section, but that's okay--what do you expect for $3? Still a bargain. (I paid $3, $3, and $5 for them--$11 total for all three.)

Are you going to add an engine and rear suspension? The Revell Ed Roth "Road Agent" kit has the early Corvair setup.

Thanks for the Road Agent reminder.  :D

I have a 60 Corvair Styline kit.  

Kewl.  :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a couple more I've been after for a while. This little Pinto promo is the non-hatchback. Combined with some later chassis bits and engine, it will be a replica of my old street-racer / slalom car 2-liter...another stripped and lightened shell, with 40mm Weber siddrafts, headers, cam, light flywheel. She surprised a lot of BMW, Datsun and Porsche drivers.

s-l1600.jpg

And a not-too-bad built Toyota 2000GT convertible. Complete, and no glue where it would be hard to fix. Fell in love with them way back when. Beautiful sounding little engine.

s-l1600.jpg

hobbylobby916.thumb.jpg.e575b086234ca6d1

I never buy kits at Hobby Lobby but today is my birthday so what the heck.   I stopped short at an aisle end cap where all the sale items were located. 

'57 Ford was $14.99 and the Ponchos were $16.99 

Steve G has me on this Pontiac kick where I got all my Pontiac built ups out that need restoring.   So here's the extra parts if I need them!

Below are the cars needing restoration...

pontiacs.thumb.jpg.fbacadba6fb05ed3813a0

I never buy kits at Hobby Lobby but today is my birthday so what the heck.   I stopped short at an aisle end cap where all the sale items were located. 

Steve G has me on this Pontiac kick where I got all my Pontiac built ups out that need restoring.   So here's the extra parts if I need them!

And I have the interior for the '70 should you need one,including the convrtible boot.

Plugged a couple more holes in the "I don't need it, but I WANT it" part of the stash. Finally got a Heller Talbot-Lago 4.5 liter GP car for a great price. I already had several of the SMER / Merit kits, and the Heller version is a vast improvement...though it's kinda low parts count. Still. it looks like it will make a beautiful model, pretty much out of the box (the SMER / Merit kits take a LOT of massaging to look really good). And so there's no confusion, the Heller kit is entirely different from the old SMER / Merit. It is NOT an update, repop, or related in any way.

Related image

And a little Johan Rambler American came in too. Painted with brush enamel, otherwise remarkably clean. Ought to be an easy restoration. I passed on another one with a box, because the rear fender skirts had been glued on. Easier to strip paint.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Plugged a couple more holes in the "I don't need it, but I WANT it" part of the stash. Finally got a Heller Talbot-Lago 4.5 liter GP car for a great price. I already had several of the SMER / Merit kits, and the Heller version is a vast improvement...though it's kinda low parts count. Still. it looks like it will make a beautiful model, pretty much out of the box (the SMER / Merit kits take a LOT of massaging to look really good). And so there's no confusion, the Heller kit is entirely different from the old SMER / Merit. It is NOT an update, repop, or related in any way.

Related image

It does make a neat model.

IMG_0720.jpg

Nice..!   I have been on a Pontiac kick for years.   I have a 68,69,70 Bonneville I have been wanting to restore from my dads old collection once I ever find what they need.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...