Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Whether they were meant to mock him or not, I can't believe that anybody thought they would sell.

My, how the modeling hobby has changed!

Today, we can't get a manufacturer to produce the kits that we want, yet back then they were making trash like this. :rolleyes:

Steve

Jesus calm down. You do know model kits target audience are/was kids right? I'm sure kids building model kits in the 70's would've thought this kit was goofy and fun to build. 

Edited by Terminator-Fox

Your comments were political, though.  Who knows why AMT did that particular kit 40 years ago. 

I didn't mean them to be political.

The last half of my original post was tongue in cheek.

I'm sure that everybody is correct.

It was just an attempt to capitalize on an existing tool by adding a few goof ball parts & making a few extra bucks.

Steve

So they added a crazy nose piece and made new decals for an existing Funny Car tool that was pretty bad to begin with. 

I really don't see what the big deal is, it is not like they made a whole new tool for this. And, it ended up being an oddball collectible for kit collectors. 

It's not a big deal Jesse.

I was just pointing out how the kit companies would take the time to produce a dopey kit like this knowing that it was not going t make them any money while ignoring subjects that might.

I know, it's a little difficult to compare manufacturing practices today with those in the late 70s, but it's the same kind of thing that just drives us all nuts today.

Trying to get us to purchase the same kits over & over again in new packaging & possibly a couple of added parts, & to top it all off, producing such a waste of good plastic when they could be coming up with some variations that might be worth buying.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but this forum is supposed to be intended to be a place for voicing opinions about the hobby.

Steve

Jesus calm down. You do know model kits target audience are/was kids right? I'm sure kids building model kits in the 70's would've thought this kit was goofy and fun to build. 

I'm perfectly calm Steve.

I just think it's fun to have a discussion occasionally that might be a little controversial. 

I'm not disrespecting anybody & I'm not screaming obscenities, so telling me to calm down won't help keep the discussion civil.

As far as the target audience goes, I can understand oddball customs & super hero vehicles being targeted towards kids, but do you really think that any twelve year old gave a rip about who was president in 1977, or who his brother was?

I've seen very few of the funny car kits, so I can't really say how well they did, but I do remember every sale table being stacked to the rafters with the Billy Carter pickups.

They couldn't give them away.

This smells more to me like an attempt to sell to an entirely different segment of the public.

The collectors who never intended to build them, but just to stack them up in their boxes until they became valuable down the line.

Seems that it didn't work very well though.

You can pick up one of the Billy Carter trucks today for not much more than the cost of a new modern kit.

All of that being said, I'll leave it alone now.

I don't want to get anybody too worked up, so I'll just let it be.

Steve 

I've seen very few of the funny car kits, so I can't really say how well they did, but I do remember every sale table being stacked to the rafters with the Billy Carter pickups.

They couldn't give them away.

And don't forget Billy Beer!   People actually invested in it thinking it would be worth money someday.  Occasionally still see a can at a garage sale for a dollar or so. 

So they added a crazy nose piece and made new decals for an existing Funny Car tool that was pretty bad to begin with. 

I really don't see what the big deal is, it is not like they made a whole new tool for this. And, it ended up being an oddball collectible for kit collectors. 

Jesse I think your right it's really a collectible kit. You will see it in many stash pictures. I only saw one built in my life...

At Freetime Hobbies on Sat., I picked up "The Weathering Magazine #15 - What If?"  (Cover pic below). 

I was going to post this in another thread that got locked, where Snake45 said:  "I have one foot in Model Car World and one in Model Airplane World. Things are a lot freer over here, I assure you. Over there, everything's about accuracy accuracy accuracy. A "custom" model airplane is almost unheard of."

This issue of The Weathering Magazine has a 5-page spread of full-color aircraft "profile" drawings.  Only these are...strange and interesting aircraft profiles.  A few of them are:

Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II, California Highway Patrol (my favorite!)

A-64D Apache helicopter, Thames Valley Police Force (UK)

X-Wing fighter T-65B (from Star Wars), VF-84, US Navy

B-17G Flying Fortress, Vatican City Air Force

Focke-Wulf FW-190, Mexican Air Force

Sikorsky Sea King helicopter, Jurassic Park patrol

wmag15.jpg

These 3 arrived from the US this week, been after the Chevy camper for years !

The other 2 kits are very nice too.....

20171016_134720.jpg

Nice!

One of these days, after I've built everything else, (yeah, right!) I'm going to start adding the Imperials from the 60s to my pile.

Looks like you found a good one!

Steve

Nice!

One of these days, after I've built everything else, (yeah, right!) I'm going to start adding the Imperials from the 60s to my pile.

Looks like you found a good one!

Steve

Good luck with that .

Way ahead of ya though. Ive got all the imperials from 1958 thru 1962 I think , all convertibles though ( no interest to go any newer )

To be honest. I was just looking over the pile this morning. I'm  REALLY beginning to think I need to consider thinning the stash down. Cut out any duplicates  and off any odd balls I may never do .

I was looking for one car ( took a while but I found it btw ) and realized Ive got 3 1960 Ford Sunliners , not counting the one I built earlier this year . I might have a problem.

Edited by gtx6970

Watching our departed friend Harry Pristovnik build so many spectacular models here on the site inspired me to try my hand at some larger scales. When I saw Harry's version of the 1/12 Italeri 806 GP car, I knew I had to have one. I'm getting close to the end of model buying, as I have more stuff than I'll be able to get to if I live to be 100, but I HAD to  have one of these.

s-l1600.jpg

These 3 arrived from the US this week, been after the Chevy camper for years !

The other 2 kits are very nice too.....

20171016_134720.jpg

Fantastic get!!!!

I had that camper back in the '70's. I wish that I could find it, but I think Mom tossed it. I still have several '60's Imperials to re-build, and I did a Buick Special Wagon a couple of years ago.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...