Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future and Alclad Chrome?

I just got my first bottle of Pledge with Future.

I saw a video on Youtube where a guy let some set in an uncovered container for about two weeks. It reduces down to a honey like liquid which he calls Future Glue. He said he uses it to glue chrome to paint without scraping the areas. Like install a grille or windshield. Sounds too good to be true but I will try it. He did say it was not as good as glue for holding but good enough if you don't handle it too rough or knock it etc. I can live with that.

My question is: Anyone try using Future as a clear coat over Alclad Chrome? I hope to try it in the coming weeks and will post results here.

Edited by DavidChampagne

No prob...I appreciate the help..I know I will probably regret it, but, I just gotta try it anyway..as they say:

SEEING IS BELIEVING

I have some jack stand type things for my Tamiya Williams FW24 to try it on..no big loss if it does not come out good.

Thanks all, will update as I progress

Edited by DavidChampagne

I have made the future glue stuff and I do like it only for certain types of things. I don't like it for gluing in chrome bumpers or anything of that sort. I've used it on those parts and they will come off with some handling. However, I do use it as a mock up glue since its easily cleanable after I've used it to test fit certain items I want to work on. Now the one thing I always use it for is gluing in most of my windshields. I say "most", because there are certain types of cars I want a really strong bond on and will use my regular glues for it. Its more of a preference for me on when I will use it. I do love it for gluing in clear lenses to headlight mounts. Photo etch as Jacen has pointed out, its great for that. But keep in mind this glue is not like super glue or any kind of cement glue. Its just a very thick acrylic glue. Just test it out and see what you like to use it for. I still use straight future like Jacen also pointed out for coating my chrome to save scrapings.

So, you coat the chrome with straight Future and do not scrape it before glueing.

I am guessing you do scrape the painted surface? Or, do you coat that with straight Future also?

Thanks for the help. I don't mean to sound so stupid but I have never used Future before.

I am trying to take my models up a step. I am recently retired (63 years old) and finally have lots and lots of time to work on models. My builds are almost all exclusively "Box Stock".

I am currently working on a Tamiya F1 1/20 Williams with a clear body, a 1/16 Tommy Ivo FED, a 1/8 85 Vette, and a wooden surfboard that I will use with a 55 Nomad.

I am so happy I found this site. It is rrealy great..and very helpful. You guys do some amazing stuff.