Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Chevy project question

treadhead

Hey guys.

well got moved and got a dedicated hobby room set up now. With that said its time to begin clearing the projects off the bench. One of them is a 1953 Chevy coupe. Ive chosen to build it as a lowrider and just before I moved I decided to cop the top. Now here is my dilemma, I chopped a scale three inches from the top and now it will not line up with the remaining parts on the car. I sliced the top into four sections but still having trouble. Have I doomed the project or is it recoverable?

Quite recoverable still.

1. Start by gluing two small strips as support strips on the underside, one on each front section that will span the gap to the rear sections. Glue these on with Elmer's glue so that when done they can be removed.

2. Now glue the front sections to the body at the A pillars with CA glue. At the same time glue a small strip on the underside from driver's side to passenger side that will support the front sections from side to side with Elmer's.

3. Now, focusing on the rear two sections, glue them permanently (with CA glue)at the C pillars and temporarily ( with Elmer's) to the strips attached to the front sections. You may need to add a cross strip on the rear similar to the front(driver to passenger) but probably not.

4. Now you should have your four sections glued in place with an opening shaped like a plus sign and temporarily supported from the underside.

5. Fill in the opening with strips of styrene, making sure not to get glue on your temporary supports. Once the glue has set you can remove your temporary supports by soaking the body in warm water.

6. Putty and sand the top to smooth it all out.

I hope this is not confusing. There may be easier ways but this has worked for me to help keep things steady and lined up until it all dries.

If this is difficult to picture send me a PM and I'll send some photos to help explain it better.

Later-