Model Cars Magazine Forum

slumpduster

diymirage

hey guys

after moving into a new house and just being way to busy to do anything model related i finally started a new project today

(why finish an old one when you can start a new one right ;) )

the subject is a mongram cop-out duster...from 1973

this model is so old it has "made in america" molded on the inside of the body

anywho, this will be a quick build, nothing fancy, just to get something on the shelf before the end off the year

pics will follow later but unless you like seeing bare frame rails there really isn't anything to show anyway

i got the kit in on trade ages ago and it is missing a few small parts, the main things (i think) are the wheels

anyone have a nice set?

thanks

the body is alclad (at least the front half of it) and its a bit spotty but i can live with that

the frame is rustoleum cherry red and it really pops

it took a while to properly dry but im very pleased with it

hopefully i can stay on the ball with this one and get her done soon

i know this kit was once released as a "easy build" kit so it shouln't be too complicated

not sure what to do about the missing parts though, looks like ill be doing sme scratchbuilding after all

(on a side note, the two rear back braces in the frame were missing so those were scratched allready)

i've heard that complaint before David and looking back i wish i had paid more attention to see if my wheel sections were marked

i did however pay attention to the wrinkles and came to the conclusion its no big deal

the way my tires are cast i can put both of them facing the right way, both of them the wrong way or even mix and math

ill be sure to include pics in my next update

like i mentioned before, mine is the 73 release

maybe they changed the tires in newer releases ?

heres a shot of the body but it is rough...the paint came out all ripped and what not

1353795315.jpg

1353795222.jpg

im actually rather pleased with it except for one spot on the hood, where i got to eager to pull the masking tape off before the paint had fully dried and as a result i got a nice red fingerprint on the alclad hood

hopefully i can buff it out

here is a shot of the tires

im having a hard time capturing it in a picture but i can put the rim in from either side putting the wrincle where it belongs...or not if i dont want too

1353795400.jpg

got a little bit of work done on the duster

i wasnt too pleased with the chroming on all of it so here are a few parts ready for allclad (allready in the shiny black paint)

1353980256.jpg

1353980297.jpg

and here they are in nice shiny allclad

(i really like this shot of the exhaust, i took the time to drill them out and they look way better that way IMHO)

1353980997.jpg

and you cant tell it in this shot but this blower is made up out off parts from 3 different kits

(looked pretty cool after i stripped the paint, kinda like a VW harlequen)

1353980831.jpg

i also took a few minutes to ad a little character to the bodywork

1353980167.jpg

1353980340.jpg

i used a brush to put down the silver dots and then used a fine sharpie to put a crecent shape underneath to make it pop

it is far from perfect and the rivits are different in size and spacing but its the best i could do

speaking of best, i love this section right here

(reminds me of the terminator minus the accent)

1353980205.jpg

AAARGH

DISASTER STRIKES

remember where i said the blower was build up out of different parts?

and you cant tell it in this shot but this blower is made up out off parts from 3 different kits

(looked pretty cool after i stripped the paint, kinda like a VW harlequen)

(see, i said it right there)

well, one of those parts that came from the partsbox was the blower hat, a nice wide model with 3 butterfly valves in it

i guess i never gave it much thought but when i went to test fit it today (after mounting the engine in the frame) i found out the blower hat is too wide and doesnt fit n the firewall (scrollback up to the second picture and you'll see where it should sit, dead center of the front windshield)

so now i need to hunt down another blower hat and alclad that one to match

what a pain

AAARGH

DISASTER STRIKES

remember where i said the blower was build up out of different parts?

(see, i said it right there)

well, one of those parts that came from the partsbox was the blower hat, a nice wide model with 3 butterfly valves in it

i guess i never gave it much thought but when i went to test fit it today (after mounting the engine in the frame) i found out the blower hat is too wide and doesnt fit n the firewall (scrollback up to the second picture and you'll see where it should sit, dead center of the front windshield)

so now i need to hunt down another blower hat and alclad that one to match

what a pain

This is your solution, if that Blower hat is really what you're looking for this project. :D

M030484P01WL.jpg

Nice job with the body, I like the paint scheme. Those rivets turned out great. Interesting build, I remember building this kit too and it was alot of fun even if it was quite hard to get together (with my skills maybe 5 years ago :rolleyes: ). Yours is looking good!

i really did like the blower hat i had on it

now i had to steal one from a different build i was working on...not to happy about that, specially since that means i have to alclad this one to match

thanks for the comments on the body, that did come out pretty close to what i had in mind

im curious to see how it comes out once its clear coated

thanks for the offer Jason but Sstacey47 came through with them

i actually found them in the mail today

as for the blower hat, im an idiot

it didnt call for one (even though HALF of one was included in the kit)

either way, i killed the valvebody trying to jimmyrig one from a different kit onto it....no wonder the body wouldnt fit

good thing Stacy send me the valve body aswell

put the whole family to bed early last night to give myself some qaulity modeling time

got quite a bit done on this one an a chebby i was working on (if someone from the marina call complaining about a boat drifting aimlessly im not in)

thanks to several members on this forum i almost have a complete kit again and i actually managed to take a few mock up shots with the wheels under it

(dont worry about the saggy front end, its just a mock up)

1355029932.jpg

1355029892.jpg

1355029845.jpg

1355029805.jpg