Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stance......

i know there is different ways about doing this, but has anyone ever built a model with stance? I.E. camber, slammed, ect. EVERYTHING stance style like the new trend in the tuner world?

2 examples below of stance, there is many different forms on different cars........

post-4246-0-84251900-1353731518_thumb.jp

post-4246-0-84123300-1353731560_thumb.jp

i know there is different ways about doing this, but has anyone ever built a model with stance? I.E. camber, slammed, ect. EVERYTHING stance style like the new trend in the tuner world?

Whether you build tuners, racers, muscle, or hot rods, stance is EVERYTHING. It gives the car an attitude one way of another.

So to answer your question - only every time.

Whether you build tuners, racers, muscle, or hot rods, stance is EVERYTHING. It gives the car an attitude one way of another.

So to answer your question - only every time.

cool jantrix, i just havent seen many like those in the pics i posted. so i was curious. thank you for the reply.

Here are a few from the Under Glass section. I find the current interpretation of "stance" to be abhorrent and an abuse of taste but thats just me.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66814

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59869

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64488

The stance to which you are referring is called "Hellaflush" because the wheels are are flush as humanly possible to the fenders/quarters. There are a ton of different ways to apply suspension changes to a model due to the multitude of different ways the undercarriage and suspension are portrayed in kits.

My only question is why would you run that much negative camber without an adjustable suspension? You know that has to wear the inside of the tires out in record time.

Edited by Skydime

How dare you let reality rain on the poser parade. ;)/>

The kids at work all run rims 4" too wide for the tires, drop 'em on the stops, and drive on the sidewalls. These cars are no more (or less?) safe than a big horsepower T bucket with wire wheels and no brakes up front. Stupid. Dangerous. In style. Every generation has debate-able modifications. Think a pro street car handles any better?

I think these Hellaflush cars look cool. Kinda takes "lowering" to the next level, no pun intended. And this is coming from an old muscle car guy in his 50's..... Embrace a new creative direction. New trends are fun.

I purposely used the phrase "poser parade" precisely for the reasons you mentioned. It's stupid and dangerous, and its only real purpose is to gain the approval of others with the same mentality. "Hey look everybody, my tires stick out at an angle!" :rolleyes:

Obviously, lowering a car can result in better handling if used with the correct suspension & tires, but these Hellaflush setups aren't meant for anything but short drives. Again, unsafe and pointless to all but the attention-horses (trying to avoid naughty points) who drive them.

I was fortunate that I was surrounded by car-smart people when I was building my street machines, and I think their advice still has merit: performance issues should only be considered once you've made sure the car is safe and reliable first. This speaks to your T-bucket point. All speed and almost no brakes? No thanks. I never went in for the Pro Street look either, so I'm not the one to ask about their handling issues.

OTOH, consider what's being done in Pro Touring. Incredible engines, brakes and handling packages - that's a trend I can embrace.

Edited by Monty

Type "stanced" into the search box...lots of hits. ;)

Are you still into Geos, Brandon?

lol yes, they are hard to find one thats not rusted and falling apart on its own.... ugh plus the one rusty 3door was like 1600, i laughed hard at them.

The stance to which you are referring is called "Hellaflush" because the wheels are are flush as humanly possible to the fenders/quarters. There are a ton of different ways to apply suspension changes to a model due to the multitude of different ways the undercarriage and suspension are portraited in kits.

My only question is why would you run that much negative camber without an adjustable suspension? You know that has to wear the inside of the tires out in record time.

and in the tuner world is what im kinda subject relative, i like tuners more then classics and muscles...... or that is where im kinda shooting at. and its not all called hellaflush, there is many many other names for it now. hellaflush is just more popular, plus they mostly show luxury sedans. and yes it would wear out the inside quicker, but its all about the look. im not lying if i could have my car up like i posted, i would drive it like that daily, thats just me.

post-4246-0-55611800-1353902128_thumb.jp

post-4246-0-45410000-1353902185_thumb.jp

post-4246-0-70784600-1353902250_thumb.jp

post-4246-0-56826600-1353902316_thumb.jp

Edited by B_rad88

I've seen all kinds of trucks with this negative camber up front, Beetles with it in the back...etc. I do think the negative camber is really cool IF you have some way to pick the vehicle up to an aligned ride hide. But these kids are just wasting money buying tire after tire. And even though it is their money to chose to waste, it's the lives of others on the line when their tires pop and they lose control. So, as a matter of safety, I strongly oppose it.

I saw a young boy the other night that had a newer Jetta done in Hellaflush style. He had one working headlight, one working taillight, and paint rubbed off the quarters where the tires had been hitting. Sadly, it was an otherwise immaculate car. Who knows what's gonna happen when those tires finally cut through?! Hopefully, it won't be at night so people can tell exactly where his car is in relation to theirs.

In relation to Brandon's response. Other than the Hellaflush style, the main term you would be looking for is "lowered"...not "stanced". That branches to slammed, hellaflush, airbagged, juiced, raked, and just about all other terminology that is used when and how a vehicle is lowered. It doesn't matter if it's a truck, a sport compact, a 32 Ford, or a 70 Road Runner for that matter. Lowered is lowered.

Edited by Skydime

Gotta disagree. Stance refers to the 'attitude' of a vehicle, whether it's raised, lowered, up in front and down in the rear, down in the front and up in the rear, or whatever. A stock vehicle has stance ALL vehicles have stance...

Yup.

Would someone please explain to me why it's a cool 'look' to show the world you have absolutely no clue about vehicle dynamics, handling, the concept of a contact patch and its relationship to handling, suspension geometry and function, and how much tires cost?

I believe the word Brandon was intending to use is "stanced", which has a specific meaning when it comes to how a vehicle rests, how the wheels and tires fit in relation to the body, and relates (most of the time, not always) to imported/tuner type vehicles. Simply do a Google image search for "stanced" (not "stance") and you'll see exactly what I mean.

hrdp_1002_01+1971_jaguar_XKE+.jpg

wanganstylz.jpg

Would someone please explain to me why it's a cool 'look' to show the world you have absolutely no clue about vehicle dynamics, handling, the concept of a contact patch and its relationship to handling, suspension geometry and function, and how much tires cost?

Take any genre of hot rodding, apply the same scrutiny, and you'll find there is no perfect modified vehicle. No vehicle does everything well, so owners pick and chose what they want. Some choose style and looks over performance, some chose fuel mileage over horsepower and torque, and some like 'em to look like they were just dragged out of a field. There's plenty of room all genres, and in hot rodding, variety is a good thing.

Stanced vehicles aren't designed to pull 1.2Gs on a slalom course, and I'm sure most of the owners are well aware of how tire wear is affected by the mods they've made. Plenty of people used to use air shocks to raise the rear of their car so they could fit N50s with minimal rubber on the wheel arches, and you could argue driving any fenderless car is a hazard to other drivers, too.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Gotta disagree. Stance refers to the 'attitude' of a vehicle, whether it's raised, lowered, up in front and down in the rear, down in the front and up in the rear, or whatever. A stock vehicle has stance ALL vehicles have stance...

I agree with your opinion. Stance and wheels do give a vehicle most of its "attitude". Perhaps "stanced" is some hip new term kids have come up with for tucking tire or something. I don't see why they wouldn't just call them static dropped.

Edited by Skydime

Casey, first, I admit the two images you posted do look really good if one doesn't take function into consideration (the Jag seems almost workable though), but they're not as extreme as a lot of the silliness I've seen. :blink:

Second, I'm a function-first kind of builder, liking to go as fast as I can when responsible circumstances permit, and I put things together to actually work. I think it's just as idiotic to see a mile-high gasser wannabee on the street, or a ground-dragging rat, or a tail-dragging, tail-wagging custom on long shackles as it is to see a tuner rolling practically on its inner sidewalls. Automobiles are indeed sculpture, but being KINETIC sculpture, I personally find it disturbing when function is entirely overlooked in favor of 'form'. I miss the point of having a 'car' that doesn't function well as a car, unless it's purely a race car or showcar. ;)

Most of the styling or performance trends on the street have trickled down from emulating race-cars, whether it's a chopped-top, paying homage (perhaps unknowingly) to the dry-lakes racers' quest for lower frontal area, or the ridiculous extremes in wheel designs that, again, had their start when alloy aftermarket rims first became available so average guys could copy the drag-car look. :D

It's entirely possible to build a 'cool' vehicle that will turn heads and generate oohs-and-aahs, in any genre, and simultaneously respect the laws of physics. Mindless herd-following in evil-handling vehicles isn't what made the automotive sport / hobby what it is. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy