Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 (or maybe '65) Shelby Zombie Hunter

Megazord_man

Hi,

With a few hours to spare before my deadline expires I've managed to complete the '66 Ford Shelby GTO Zombie Hunter from Dark World Creations and Revell. I must say that this was an enjoyable build and paint job using new techniques and some new to me paint (like AK mud and Mig Rain marks).

John

http://www.coolminiornot.com/319345

jk_121124DSC_1812.jpg

jk_121124DSC_1813.jpg

jk_121124DSC_1814.jpg

jk_121124DSC_1815.jpg

jk_121124DSC_1837.jpg

jk_121124DSC_1821.jpg

I love your Post-apoc stuff,I would buy the resin kits too,but I just can't justify spending that kind off money on a model.No matter what though,you are an excellent builder that I hope to see more work from.Mind if we see some shots from under the hood?

Edited by Austin T

Many thanks everyone, your fine comments are very cool.

Regarding the front end I used the hair spray method - first I payed down a mottled coat of rust colours, browns blacks and oranges to give it a natural look rather than being uniform. I then sealed that with a clear matt coat ( testors dullcoat) to give it some protection from the next couple of stages. Hair spray (being challenged in that area myself means that I had to make a special purchase) was then used to cover it in a thin layer. I then sprayed the whole area grey but kept it uniform, some areas were think others so thin you could see the brown underneath.

Using warm water and a stiff brush I then wore the grey paint away in a random pattern just leaving enough to still some grey and some brown. The hairspray acts as a sacrificial barrier that almost melts away under some warm water and scrubbing. I then used a white soft pencil to do the chalk marks. Using some orange colours and a sponge I enhanced the rust effects in a few locations and then painted a few streaks as well.

For the welds I sprayed very thin lines of black over each seam, then painted the actual weld silver and finally applied a thinned wash of black paint along the seam (to settle in the low spots).

Phew, sounds like a pain when written out but it's one of those things you do where the results are very satisfying to see step by step.