Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Fairlane 500

bogger44

Here is my latest build, and first to be posted here at MCM. It's the AMT kit painted in Dupli-Color Dark Cherry Metallic and Tamiya Light Gun Metal. I threw on a set of Pegasus Chrome T's at all corners, as well as disc brakes made from some spare washers I had laying around. With the stock leaf-sprung rear suspension, the wider tires didn't fit, so I converted it over to a four link. The stock axle was retained, with the control arms coming from the parts box. Other than that, the rest is 99% out of the box. It was a fun build, albiet a little challenging at times, especially trying to get the doors to line up right (they still don't, but fit much better than they did to begin with). Thanks 'fer looking, and any questions or comments welcome.

57ford068.jpg

57ford072.jpg

57ford073.jpg

57ford080.jpg

57ford086.jpg

57ford087-1.jpg

Since finishing it, I never did take a pic of the chassis, so here is one I took before final assembly.

57ford019-1.jpg

Thanks a lot guys!

Great looking model Tony. I love the color combo. I've got a couple of these kits and the doors always kept me from working on it... I'm thinking of just adding some plastic to the door edges and gluing them shut.

I very nearly did the same thing. Those are some frustrating pieces!

That is beautiful, to say the least!! Your colours are perfect and it's a nice, clean build. Very well done.. definitely something to be proud of! The '57 was IMHO Ford's best offering ever when it came to styling and tasteful design. I've always wanted a red and white 2 door hardtop but I don;t think that is going to happen. Dollars are too tight and the cars are out of my reach financially. *sighs*

Very tasteful. A nice mild custom with an excellent execution.

I think Flame Red/either Gunmetal or Woodsmoke Gray were a factory option.

Otherwise, Ford used to have a code "S" for a custom color application at the factory, and I would imagine such a thing would have been available. I think the Flame Red with Gunmetal Gray would have been rather sharp with the white/red interior.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575