Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Willys second attempt

rmvw guy

I tried building this kit as a kid, the old Stones, Woods, Cook version and it was too difficult as I remember. I picked this one up at a swap meet for $10 unbuilt. While fun, it was still a bit of a challenge for me. Just thought I'd share it here. This is only my second Willys ever.DSC04021.jpgDSC04022.jpgDSC04032.jpgDSC04033.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

Very well done and nice paint too. I like the way the slicks look as if they have picked up grit from the ground. The one thing that I would fix is the seam in the scoop.

You are right about the seam on the scoop, if you look at the box art it appears on that model also. I think I may look for a donner scoop else where, thanks for the comment. Also I notice a chip in the paint on the front fender I was going to fix. This is a fragile car, the front axel broke, so I pinned it, then the push bar broke off while I was working on that, then the trunk rods broke. Heres another picture when it was still in primer.DSC03868.jpg

Looks good. Is that a shark fin on the hood ?

:lol: I like that! When I was trimming the hood orniment off the sprue I went too far, so I got the idea to customize it. Actually I don't think it would work in the real world. It would probably split the air away from the scoop. :D

Thanks guys! Jim, I know you like the shiny :lol:. I need to put it away before any thing else breaks! I don't know about you guys but, I'm trying to finish all my started projects before the end of the year. I want to work on a '50 Olds along with some other new offerings but, just don't want to open any more kits till I can finish up some. I want to mark this one off my list. Thanks for all the comments and encouragement here!

Edited by rmvw guy

Looks really good, i really like the color!

I have a bunch of these kits, they aren't the best kits but i love them for some reason! I just picked up 2 more and i'm gonna be getting another one!

Great lookin' Willys, I love that color.

The color is Dupli-Color Burgundy Berry Met. Thanks for the comments!

Beautiful job Ron! I have always liked this model. I also built one back in the '60's when it first came out, and if I remember correctly, it came out as a glue bomb. I've managed to pick up one of the mid-nineties re-pops when they came out. One of these days I'll get around to taking the shrink wrap off and give it another shot. I love the way that you did the interior and the exterior color looks great!