Model Cars Magazine Forum

Liquid Mask.....

I just tried it on Lindberg 53 Ford Contiental Kit. The area that I masked was the center circle where the Ford logo is. I followed the directions.When I airbrushed it I kept away from the mask so there was a minimal amount of paint on it.The mask would not come off no matter what tool I used. Even the scapel that I use for BMF could not peal it off. The mask is water based but still hot water,soap,Super Clean and Easy OFF did not work.The part is ruined too many scrape marks.

The first time I used it I had the same problems.This time I brushed it on really thick and still no luck.

I give it a big thumbs down

Mike

I`ve used it quite a bit with good luck after some experimentation. Before I figured it out I didnt like it at all.

The trick is to lay down multiple coats before you paint over it. One coat is an absolute pain to remove much like Mike experienced. I put down 4 coats and let it dry overnight before I do anything to it and have always had good luck with that way of doing it. I dont use it often but its nice to have for masking small items or surfaces with complex curves. I`ve also put down 6 coats and have good results with cutting out designs on it when its that thick and it still leaves a very thin edge when removed.

Make sure you remove it before the paint cures completely hard, much like you would with a masking tape.

Try the liquid mask that watercolor artists use, it is pretty much the same stuff that you can get at the hobby shops

and paint supply outfits. The real trick to getting the stuff off after it has done its job is to purchase the eraser that

they sell along with the liquid mask. It peels the stuff right off and won't harm the painted surface or the surface

being masked. I've nearly worn the skin off of my fingertips a time or two before finding about the liquid mask eraser.

Cheap Joe's Art Supply, Daniel Smith Art Supply and almost all the major art suppliers carry it, look for it in the

watercolor section.

The trick is to lay down multiple coats before you paint over it. One coat is an absolute pain to remove much like Mike experienced. I put down 4 coats and let it dry overnight before I do anything to it and have always had good luck with that way of doing it.

Make sure you remove it before the paint cures completely hard, much like you would with a masking tape.

If you cant remove one coat of the liquid mask, what does putting four layers of it on do for you or make it any easier to remove ? I know nothing about it and am just curious so please don't think I'm being a smart A$$ asking this question. Its an honest question. Thanks for your answer Mate!!!!!

If you cant remove one coat of the liquid mask, what does putting four layers of it on do for you or make it any easier to remove ? I know nothing about it and am just curious so please don't think I'm being a smart A$$ asking this question. Its an honest question. Thanks for your answer Mate!!!!!

I would imagine that the additional coats would add some thickness to grab on to, thus making it easier to remove. Think of lifting a thick piece of cloth from a smooth, flat surface versus trying to lift a thin piece of paper from that same surface... more to grab on to.

David G.

Edited by David G.

Brushing this on does not ensure that the coat will be uniform, it is easier to have a greater amount so that the thin areas are not so thin that they don't peel off.

While I use the Latex type material now, I used some of the modeling types for R/C car bodies, and found that the thin, light coat did not remove from the body and had to be scrubbed, but thicker coats were able to peel right off.

Also the latex I use can be used to mold small parts such as carbs, a few coats, a layer of gauze then a few more coats, I can pour resin in it and have a duplicate.