Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coventry Motors Cobra 289 CSX 2128

Phildaupho

On the workbench photos at http://www.modelcars...wtopic=66468=

Cobra CSX 2128 was originally built as a Team Shelby racecar for the 1963 Sebring race for drivers Dan Gurney, Lew Spencer and Dave McDonald. To get it ready in time rumor has it that it was painted with a spray can. The car went on to wide exposure on the cover of the “Hey Little Cobra” record album. Allen Grant was a Shelby employee who aspired to be a team driver. He sold CSX 2128 to Coventry Motors with the provision that he be the driver. Allen Grant was out to impress Carroll Shelby with his racing abiity so to make sure his Cobra was as visible as possible on the race track, he had his buddy George Lucas an aspiring movie maker to design an eye-popping livery. The strategy worked - Alen Grant became a team driver in Cbra Daytona.

The team had a matching big rear-window ’56 Ford pickup which I hope to eventually build a model of. Allen Grant has his own replicas of this car and the truck. Another replica has been built as a prize give away car.

CSX 2128 has been restored back to its origibal livery.

CSX21281-vi.jpg

CSX21283-vi.jpg

CSX21284-vi.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

Hi Andrew - I discovered your under construction Cobra after I finished mine and really like the detail stuff you are doing. I look forward to seeing your Cobra when completed.

I made the front brake scoops with Evergreen tubing split in half lengthwise and joined by similar thickness flat stock. I am currently working on the 56 Ford pick-up tow vechicle and trailer. I am using the Revell Roth truck which I have converted to a big back window and the trailer from the MPC 76 Chevy Caprice.

I went to Grant-O-Rama at Allen Grant's garage in Squim Washington and saw his close 1/1 replicas of the Coventry Motors Cobra and truck. Check out the photos at

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/2007-auto-events/grant-o-rama-07/

• 1 month later...