Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW REVELL '29/ OLD AMT '29 mashup, Nov.8, buggy spring mods

Ace-Garageguy

SEPT. 2015 EDIT: This one has made it back on the bench, specifically because of the availability of the new Revell nailhead engine, and the beautifully sculpted '32 rails. The old AMT rails I'd started modifying for this build are being recycled into another '29/'32 Ford build I'll begin posting shortly, but for this one, I'll be staying with the old AMT '29 body shell. This is one instance where the '32 rails in Revell's newest kit can be shown-off to good advantage. I'll be correcting the port-spacing on the new nailhead too. The streetable water pump/front cover setup and the multiple carb option in the Revell kit will figure prominently on this one as well.

This one was inspired by a series of illustrations by Eric Black in the Jan. 2011 Rod & Custom. Though they were on model A rails, this is very similar. I MAY channel this car just a tad, as Eric's version looks a little more slender, and that's part of its appeal to me.

Started with another gluebomb with multiple coats of horrible paint.......

DSCN7968.jpg

After a 2-day stripper bath, and another AMT '32 blob frame, getting modified.....

DSCN7973.jpg

Stance and overall look dialled in. Port spacing on the headers is wrong for a nailhead....I'll fix it. This one will also get a scratched DuVall with a different design....maybe a Hallock.

DSCN8096.jpg

A mildly-chopped '32 radiator shell leaves plenty of ground clearance, allows the cowl line to flow nicely, and avoids the monkey-face look of a too-severe chop.

DSCN8047.jpg

A '32 hood gets narrowed to fit the '29 cowl, as well as the '32 shell. Interior will be button-tuft with a vintage-look roll bar hoop.

DSCN8088.jpg

NOTE: The mockup engine here is the old Monogram Orange Hauler nailhead. Though it's labeled 1/24, it's so close to 1/25 as to be entirely unnoticeable. It has a molded one piece engine top that won't be usable for this build.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 years later...

Thanks for your comments, Dennis.

You're right about the new Revell frame saving a lot of work. I've started mocking her up, and all I really need to do is pinch the rails just a tad more to fit better under the old AMT '29 shell.

This is a shot of Eric Black's original illustration that inspired the build. I'll probably iron the pages and get a better shot of this later too.

Liked this a bunch on the first go-round but I must admit the crispness of the new Revel rails will add a lot to the final result. I'm a bit disappointed to see how much the frame rails extend beyond the AMT shell. It's far from a drop fit given the standards that you set for yourself in these builds. The Eric Black illustration certainly highlights the problem with the Revell headers - the grouped pairs look is somewhat lost on them and quite apparent in the rendering. I'm not sure I like the header covers along the frame rails, though...  Looking forward to seeing this progress with your usual thoroughness with respect to matters both aesthetic and mechanical.

The Eric Black illustration certainly highlights the problem with the Revell headers - the grouped pairs look is somewhat lost on them and quite apparent in the rendering. I'm not sure I like the header covers along the frame rails, though...  Looking forward to seeing this progress with your usual thoroughness with respect to matters both aesthetic and mechanical.

Thanks for your interest, Bernard. Actually, the headers shown on the mockup are for a 1/24 scale Offy engine, and the port spacing is too regular for the nailhead. Revell's new kit (and the Eric Black illustration, it seems) both have the end-paired ports a little too close together, and the center ports a little too far apart.

This is the Tim Boyd photo of the new kit headers, and though they would be a vast improvement over what I have on the early mockup shown above, they're still not quite right. The port-spacing on the 50+ year-old Revell nailheads (Tommy Ivo and parts-pack versions) is spot-on correct (OK...it's about 1/4 scale inch off), and I'll be seeing what it will take to get the NEW Revell nailhead dialed in to match the OLD one. (The orange and white engine in the mockup above is the unit from the Monogram 1/24 Orange Hauler...which scales pretty close to 1/25 actually...backed up with a Dynaflow automatic. I'll be using the new Revell nailhead in its place, but backing it with the old parts-pack manual gearbox rather than the molded-on automatic)

DSC_0516-vi.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm not sure I like the header covers along the frame rails, though...

It took me a double take to realize the roadster in the illustration is not on a '32 frame. The header covers are trimmed up Model A splash aprons that mimic the shape of the cove in a '32 frame.

There's some really neat details going on in that illustration. I dig how the pitman arm is curved to match the shape of the cowl line just behind it.

It's also a shame that you can't get those Deluxe Champion Firestone style tires in skinny front 450-18 if one were to build the real car.