Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '50 Olds fastback: Jus' a lil' closer...Oct.1

Ace-Garageguy

Thanks one and all for the interest and comments.

Nothing too exciting, just a little strip of glass cloth and epoxy to insure the roof seam doesn't crack...

DSCN0034_zpsbc2e6a56.jpg

And a fill of epoxy / cotton flock along the fender seams. Now I can get horsey with the rest of the bodywork with no danger of disaster.

DSCN0033_zpsa06cdfc9.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks one and all for the interest and comments.

Nothing too exciting, just a little strip of glass cloth and epoxy to insure the roof seam doesn't crack...

DSCN0034_zpsbc2e6a56.jpg

And a fill of epoxy / cotton flock along the fender seams. Now I can get horsey with the rest of the bodywork with no danger of disaster.

DSCN0033_zpsa06cdfc9.jpg

Where might I find the glass cloth that you are using?

• 1 year later...

Finally picked a color, so I'm inspired to get this one moving again. Removed the peak from the hood...

AUG12014Caddy_Challenger_50olds077_zpsd0

...and shot color to see what she'd look like. This is as-shot, no clear, and I'll put the hood on the body for the final color coat to insure even color...

AUG12014Caddy_Challenger_50olds079_zps80

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Color looks great, what is it?

It's Duplicolor rattlecan BTY 1603 Dark Green Mica (Toyota 6M2), over Plasticoat light gray primer. The Duplicolor "mica" has a fairly fine flake...not scale-correct by any means, but better than many colors out there. It's also somewhat iridescent in daylight.

Bill the most difficult part to foil, would be the spot on the rear fender.the remaining should be very straightforward.

...Which is one of the reasons I'm shaving the rear fenders on this one, as well as most of the side molding... to minimize what I'll have to deal with. I've got so much effort in the top swap that I don't want to spoil the build at the end by buggering the foil work, so I'm trying to leave as little on the car to be foiled as I possibly can.

• 1 month later...

Not a lot happening, but I've about finished the body fill where the fastback roof section was grafted. Using masking tape to control where the filler gets to, to minimize sanding and shaping.

OCTOBER12014058_zpscf2e4400.jpg

This side's about ready for primer, chrome shaved, rear window surround thinned (the AMT kit is really thick back there), and the rear quarter window enlarged to match the Olds. Started opening the rear deck too.

OCTOBER12014057_zpsda060e32.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 8 years later...