Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are you?

I mean besides model builders and artists. My vocation for 30 years was a construction equipment mechanic. I longed to be a guitarist, but couldnt cut it. I found out by accident that I was a drummer. A roomate set up his drums, and in a few weeks I was as good as he was after his years of playing. So I am curious, was there anything that you guys just sort of fell into and found you were pretty good at it?

I had a day off school a few years back and for whatever reason I ended up going to work with my dad that day (He does body and paint work for a restoration/hot rod shop) and after hanging around and learning the trade I've been hired full time during the summer and part time during the school year working there. I guess you could say I kinda "fell" into getting my dream job since it pretty much happened by chance.

Edited by BKcustoms

I'm another body and paint guy, I've been at it for 40 years now. It was a good profesion untill the insurance guys ruined it. Like the OP, I tried to play guitar for years before trying a Harmonica. I was a natural and did quite well with it. I still play open mic nights and set in with some local bands.

I was in the automotive business for more than forty years mostly in the body end but learned to do it all ( body,mechanical and upholstery ). Heart and cancer has left me disabled for the last year or so and when I fell up to it I still try to do a few models , most restoring older kits or special builds . My wife and I also owned a body shop and car lot but the body work was my love.

I really loved the military, but after 4 Purple Hearts, I was put on full Medical Retirement! I'm also a Historian,and write Articals on Ancient Military History! For 40 years I built Hot Rods and Street Rods, until my health wouldn't let me!

Edited by Tom Setzer

In high school, I was known as "the artist". Spent much of my time drawing pics for everybody. With a good set of brushes and several cans of one shot enamel, turned it into a pretty sucsessful sign business. Drove a truck hauling lumber by day, doing signs & truck lettering nights & weekends. Got out of trucking, bought an auto body sho ,and spent 20 years breathing who knows what. Now after 2 heart surgeries, back surgery, and a pacemaker, I'm back to building models! AND found out last wednsday that I probably will not be around to write something like this this time next year.....IF I had only gone to college in the first place...

Edited by signguy2108

I'm a frustrated singer. I love to sing at church, and people ask me regularly why I'm not in the choir (I work evenings, so I can't make it to rehearsals on Thursday night). Whenever I can, I like to sing karaoke, everything from hard classic rock ("Born To Be Wild), to the oldies (anything by Roy Orbison), and I like to challenge myself with the hard ones - Things like "Kara Mia", "The Wicked Game", and "Tuesday Afternoon". I once sang the National Anthem at a minor-league baseball game.

Spent 10 yrs in the AF as a aircraft corrosion/painter and just recently got laid off after 27 yrs working for an AF contractor as a paint/bodyman. Breathed more than enough paint fumes in my life, I'm looking to do something else. The only paint fumes I want to be around now involve painting plastic.

So I am curious, was there anything that you guys just sort of fell into and found you were pretty good at it?

Marksmanship.

I entered the police academy at age 20 never having fired a handgun. After two weeks of training I qualified best in the class, with a perfect score (pistols only, the 12 gauge is an enigma to me) on qualification day.

Years later, I met my father-in-law, a big hunter. He took me to an outdoor range and I shot a tighter group than he did (I'd never fired a hunting rifle) and he's been hunting for 40 years. He was both happy and pissed.

Throughout 14 years of military service I never qualified less than expert with anything, except the 12 gauge. While stationed on board ship, I was the only crew member that was not a gunners mate that was authorized by command to instruct in marksmanship.

I can't really explain it, but for some reason putting holes in things from a distance, just came naturally. I'm a fair hand with a bow as well.

I own a small business, and yes I built it. But I work in the hvac field and cleaning service. Other than that I mess with electronics, and went to school for car audio. Thinking of going back to school for technology, but it all seems boring.

I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you!

Semper Fi Carry On!

Help Desk Technician. I've taken a few computer classes, but I don't have an IT degree. I can strip down and rebuild a computer without thinking about it too much.

I guess it comes natural doesnt it>?!

me?

Self -Employed! AND WILL REMAIN SO THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!

Use to work for SERVPRO ...They specialized in MOLD, WATER, FIRE, SMOKE, CRIME SCENES cleanup and restoration services...Loved it!....Got to tear up other peoples houses and not get in trouble either! :lol: :lol: :lol:

now...

I Deal in Multi-Million dollar deals on a weekly business!...where i hope to financially sound soon!....

P.S. Hey Harry...If you strike the lottery give me a call please!? B)...

I.E....Private Real Estate Investor ^_^

I also "Attempt" to play the dreaded BANJO!!! :P

Edited by bandit1

I am a golfer. I started playing around age 11 and broke 70 by age 14. It paid my way through college and I tried to play on Tour. I wasn't quite good enough so now I work in the golf business. Golf is easy. Laying down a perfect gloss finish? Now, that's tough.