Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

well  -  you've got my attention

I see that you joined this forum years ago

way before me

did you ever do build threads for any of these ??

betting that you are the proud owner of all of Wingrove's books ...

how many questions could you put up with ??

???

Hi Andrew

I did an article about the Bugatti build that was in MCM  back in 2013 (I think).. If you are a regular MCM reader you may have that copy. In answer to your other questions, I have not done any of these as builds on the forum, and yes, I do have all of the late Gerald Wingrove's books. Before he retired to Spain I visited his workshop in the UK and found him very generous with advice. I kept in touch with him occasionally right up to shortly before he sadly passed away.

My models are built mainly in plastic. What I did was adapt many of Gerald's techniques to that medium. For example where he would be soldering metal I would be using liquid plastic adhesive. I use Plastruct liquid cement a lot as I tend to use plastics other than polystyrene like acrylic, ABS etc. Of course I use many other adhesives as well depending on what other materials I am working in. I get though a fair bit of Revell Contacta, Two Part Epoxy and Cyano Superglue as well depending.

Andrew, on the Napier Railton I tried a few things to get the desired aluminium finish by experimenting on odd bits of plastic card. Basically I started with a white automotive acrylic primer. When this had hardened off, after a gentle rub with very fine wet n dry paper and dusted off, I used a chrome finish aerosol that is normally sold as a craft item. When this had hardened off properly I used C1 polishing powder and buffed it gently until I got the desired effect. Metallic painted finishes by their nature are 'soft' even after drying so care was needed during handling.

It is recommended after priming using gloss black under finishes like Alclad and AK metallics however. 

Sorry you missed my Bugatti build article in MCM.  Perhaps they may be able to supply a back copy?

Edited by Bugatti Fan

12 years ago I got back into the hobby. This was the first build. I did not know much and did not have much in the way of tools or knowledge about the hobby. A 32 body, I think it was amt. the frame was cut up and the engine block was from a friends parts bin. Blower, headers and most of the other stuff was scratch built. Pretty crude build. The sizes of the parts are not the best scale . But it was fun and the start of a car modeling. 

EDBEE2F9-FA3D-47F9-AE38-10A22E2AF641.jpeg

7C4FA429-F65F-4E50-A4F8-0B70FBB0FDED.jpeg

F0146E1D-847F-405A-97F2-C6CF07F1E45D.jpeg

I  scratch built this Easy Run engine stand a few years ago and thinking about making another one with some improvements. Graveyard Carz inspired me to make one. I posted it on the forum a few years ago and got a reply from the owner of Easy Run warning me not to make these for sale without their expressed permission, which I had no intention to do so  because it would be difficult to replicate in numbers. No worries though, it was made for my own pleasure. 20160529_153907_resized_1.jpg.248a37cd12a75e841d0329d3c85fb2d7.jpg20160529_154210_resized_1.thumb.jpg.3a6c360d1ba64e1f00b329a81dac5b21.jpg

20160607_165515.jpg

20160607_165540.jpg

20160608_135005_resized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, since you replied I have seen a Mustang Fastback for sale locally here in the UK. When I looked at it I was very surprised to find it was made with right hand drive. Have found out since that it was not a conversion and that Ford US have been making this car with both LHD and RHD options for target markets. It is the first time to my knowledge that the Mustang has been marketed in this way and all previous models were LHD only. On the latest Mustang I do like the retro styling with hints of the original 1960's car.

The two previous Ford Sports Coupes sold in the UK with RHD were the Cougar and the Probe. The Cougar was quite a nice looking car, but I did not like the styling of the Probe. I have a feeling that Monogram did a Probe kit some time ago.