Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

here are a few scratchbuilt pieces i've made. most of my stuff is 1/8 scale any more.

1/8 scale nostalgia top fuel car. completely scratchbuilt except for some of the hardware.

002.jpg

004.jpg

008-3.jpg

1/8 scale top alcohol dragster. totally scratchbuilt except for the engine block (highly modified), rear center section and hardware.

003-5-1.jpg

Hey Wayne, great work !!

What exactly is Renshape? Where can I get some?

Thanks

Hey Jim, Renshape is a lightweight composite/wood material that is as lightweight as balsa wood but much more durable and easy to work with in regards to shaping parts for model use or casting. The one downside is that it is not the cheapest material out there.

Try www.freemansupply.com they have a starter/sampler kit that only retails for about $25, and it includes multiple pieces of different grades of Renshape

I'll play. All this stuff is 1/16th scale

Promod chassis

9a46f85f-vi.jpg

8f536932-vi.jpg

c07b5e73-vi.jpg

Master cylinder, Turned the caps down on my lathe

22181d6a-vi.jpg

Wheel tubs with scale motorsports decals.

5a647b7f-vi.jpg

Turbo headers

f67bc5c3-vi.jpg

67b07bd9-vi.jpg

Fuel and oil tank with caps i turned down.

f85836ba-vi.jpg

Scratch built all the electronics, besides the wires and decals

024-vi.jpg

Turbo manifold built out of Brass and renshape, still in progress.

E63AB82ECA3830000003F8FE21FDCC-vi.jpg

Edited by Prostreet

Man, you all's work is so nice, I feel kinda silly putting stuff up here, but here's some anyway.

Frame and roll bar

DSCN0590.jpg

Upper roll-cage (not the side bars)

DSCN5567.jpg

1/8 scale clay model and wooden buck

DSCN9247.jpg

Entire 1/10 scale model, incluging turned wood wheels. Model is built like a balsa airplane but covered with fiberglass and bondo rather than tissue, cloth or film

websolo1A.jpg

Full-scale 1:1 model of the same vehicle

solohull0001.jpg

1:1 fenders, quarter panels, nose and tail panels

image1.jpg

Hey Jim, Renshape is a lightweight composite/wood material that is as lightweight as balsa wood but much more durable and easy to work with in regards to shaping parts for model use or casting. The one downside is that it is not the cheapest material out there.

Try www.freemansupply.com they have a starter/sampler kit that only retails for about $25, and it includes multiple pieces of different grades of Renshape

Thanks so much Wayne !!!

A mundane coolant cap...

DSC00527.jpg

While I admit I am impresssed with your scratch building skills, little things make it even more impresive to me, especially since I can not for the life of me figure out/master how it is done. On this piece for example, the coloring/weathering is fantastic!

In all there is a LOT of cool things people are posting. TOO many to comment on each one. I applaud you all!

The 427 Cobra "Sunburst wheel" picture here came about because of my desire to build an accurate 427 Street Cobra. Because it didn't exist in scale I had to build one from scratch. The rim was the only part I didn't scratchbuild, but it is a heavily modified piece from the Monogram 1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car. the center of the wheel though is made up of 22 separate pieces of evergreen styrene stock. I then had copies made in resin...

IMG_4361-vi.jpg

IMG_2941-vi.jpg

IMG_2948-vi.jpg

The 427 Cobra "Sunburst wheel" picture here came about because of my desire to build an accurate 427 Street Cobra. Because it didn't exist in scale I had to build one from scratch. The rim was the only part I didn't scratchbuild, but it is a heavily modified piece from the Monogram 1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car. the center of the wheel though is made up of 22 separate pieces of evergreen styrene stock. I then had copies made in resin...

IMG_4361-vi.jpg

IMG_2941-vi.jpg

IMG_2948-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilt to replicate a trailer I used to move soda and vending machines around. No solid axle, so the deck drops down to roll items straight onto the trailer. The deck does raise and lower. THe only things not scracth are the battery and the rims/tires. I did this about 12 years ago. Keep thinking I will do another, but never get around to it.

photo2-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpgphoto2-vi.jpg

My 1/12 scale teardrop trailer is scratch built from plywood, basswood, balsa, aluminum flashing skin, styrene window frames. The lawn chair, picnic table, fire ring, and cooler are from scratch, too. It's all on a campground diorama with my Monogram 1/12 scale 57 Chevy. The figure is resin, from the dollhouse section of eBay.

4123225968_323d8e977c_z.jpg?zz=1

That is very cool. Is that an arcylic metalic dry brushed over black, or just plain silver? Also, nice gauges etc.

Thanks.

It is brushed on flat black with a tiny bit of silver dry brushed on top. When you brush on the flat black, you dab it on.

This gives it texture and gives it that old metal look.

I did the same thing when I brush painted this boiler:

F9-vi.jpg