Is it true about Tamiya TS-13?

59 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I've heard that Tamiya TS-13 clear will not be available here in the states any longer. It hasn't been available at my not so local hobby shop the last few visits. But, for a while they've been slow about getting the paints re stocked. I'm hoping that this is merely a rumor and that it's just being re labeled like their other paints. Does anyone know if this is in fact true or not?

Posted · Report post

Roger, l am not sure but l did see a post on another form that a guy bought 2 cans last week...

Posted (edited) · Report post

True.It's not available stateside but is still sold overseas.I don't know if HLJ or one of the other on line vendors will ship it here or not.

Give the Testor non one coat One Coat clear a try.It sprays out a bit thicker than TS-13 but doesn't have the tendency to wrinkle decals like the Tamiya clear.It does polish out nicely,too.

Edited by ZTony8

Posted · Report post

Roger, l am not sure but l did see a post on another form that a guy bought 2 cans last week...

Carl, do you happen to know where he bought it from?

Posted · Report post

I just got two cans yesterday, but they were close to $10.00 each.

Posted · Report post

I'll have to look into that when I get to work, we have issues getting Tamiya paints at times, but I thought most of those were cleared up by now.

Posted · Report post

What about TS63 NATO Black....same story or fiction ?

Posted · Report post

This site says it's discontinued.

post-4455-0-47766800-1354043487_thumb.pn

I ordered and received 3 cans from Empire RC Store on ebay for $7.65 per can . Shipping was $6.50 total . Be prepared fore a long delivery time - slow boat from China !

Edited by TooOld

Posted · Report post

I was told this by the owner of our local Hobbytown yesterday.....no more Tamiya clear. I don't know what, if any difference there would be between the paint, and clear, but it seems a little ridiculous.

Or how about straight from the horse mouth, this is the link to the TS-13

https://www.tamiyaus...roduct-id=85013

Edited by martinfan5

Still available this side of the pond, but there in the region of around $8.00

Edited by GeeBee

Posted · Report post

I've heard and read so many fairy tales about it I don't know what to believe anymore !!! I just wish Tamiya would just come out with a blanket statement about the status of it and put it all to rest !! Can that be so hard ???

I've heard and read so many fairy tales about it I don't know what to believe anymore !!! I just wish Tamiya would just come out with a blanket statement about the status of it and put it all to rest !! Can that be so hard ???

Did you read martinfan's posting in reply #11 above, with a link to Tamiya's site? Tamiya themselves have said the product is no longer available, though no explanation was given. Click on the link in that post.

Edited by sjordan2

not doubting the Tamiya issue but it seems that hobbytown owners are a prime source for bs .. I've heard several over the years from my local HT owner .. none turned out to be true.

like estes rocket motors being banned , and revell going bankrupt for starters

Edited by scalenut

Posted · Report post

not doubting the Tamiya issue but it seems that hobbytown owners are a prime source for bs .. I've heard several over the years from my local HT owner .. none turned out to be true.

like estes rocket motors being banned , and revell going bankrupt for starters

See posts #11 and #14 above. Tamiya has spoken.

Posted · Report post

Did you read martinfan's posting in reply #11 above, with a link to Tamiya's site? Tamiya themselves have said the product is no longer available, though no explanation was given. Click on the link in that post.

Yes I read that before I posted. I've also saw the exact thing posted about the other Tamiya colors in the past as well !! So, like I said, I don't know whether to believe it or not !! And spot on about the HobbyTown owners telling tall tales, as well as other people who should be in the know. I even had a Walmart associate tell me one day that Revell won't sell them anymore models, and that HobbyLobby has quit carrying models and that they were going out of business !!! Now with that one I just consider the source and ignore that one !! LOL... :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

Yes I read that before I posted. I've also saw the exact thing posted about the other Tamiya colors in the past as well !! So, like I said, I don't know whether to believe it or not !! And spot on about the HobbyTown owners telling tall tales, as well as other people who should be in the know. I even had a Walmart associate tell me one day that Revell won't sell them anymore models, and that HobbyLobby has quit carrying models and that they were going out of business !!! Now with that one I just consider the source and ignore that one !! LOL... :rolleyes:

So you don't accept what the Tamiya company has said directly?

Posted · Report post

Looks like I'll finally get around to trying out that can of Plasti Kote clear. The last two cans of TS-13 I've used hasn't worked as well as past cans for some reason. It has orange peeled every time requiring me to polish the clear. I've literally worn my polishing kit out and now need to buy a new set.

I am going to buy a can of Mr Hobby clear, I have heard some good things about it

Let me add one more thing, I am not claiming to be in know, but when I checked the Tamiya website, it shows it discontinued for the US, but if go to the EU part of the map, and then click the UK part, it shows its still in production, but that was I believe from the distributor and not Tamiya

So I think its safe to say, that its been discontinued for the US

Edited by martinfan5

Posted · Report post

So you don't accept what the Tamiya company has said directly?

I don't know how to be any clearer. I have read in the past that they said the same thing about the other colors at one time. That turned out to be false. So I have hopes it will be back someday. Bottom line, it's that simple !!

Posted · Report post

I don't know how to be any clearer. I have read in the past that they said the same thing about the other colors at one time. That turned out to be false. So I have hopes it will be back someday. Bottom line, it's that simple !!

You have to remember what "Discontinued" means at Tamiya. If you click the word you get this FAQ

Q. Why do you show discontinued items?

A. Not only can you find some of these items in stores, but parts are available for most of them. Discontinued only means we currently do not stock them, they may be re-released at some point as well.

So maybe it'll be back, maybe not...in the mean time there are only about a dozen other clears one could use.

Posted · Report post

I am going to buy a can of Mr Hobby clear, I have heard some good things about it

Let me add one more thing, I am not claiming to be in know, but when I checked the Tamiya website, it shows it discontinued for the US, but if go to the EU part of the map, and then click the UK part, it shows its still in production, but that was I believe from the distributor and not Tamiya

So I think its safe to say, that its been discontinued for the US

Can you be a little bit more clear?

:P

Posted · Report post

sSig_GoodOne.gif Danno sSig_lol.gif

Posted · Report post

I work for one of the major hobby distributors, TS-13 is, indeed, discontinued in the US. For whatever reason it didn't make it through the last round of re-labeling and re-testing that the Tamiya Sprays went through earlier this year. There were a couple colors, too (NATO Black being one). I don't know what exactly was wrong with them this time, but until they're reformulated they're not available from Tamiya America If your LHS has an overseas source, they'll be able to get them, but expect prices to be higher than normal.

Alternatives I'd recommend trying would be Testor's One Coat Wet Look Clear or U-Pol Clear (available on-line). They both have similar characteristics to TS-13.