Model Cars Magazine Forum

First post - 78' Firebird (Completed 12/10/12)

Mike Muncy

Hey guys! Decided to buy a model car over Thanksgiving. I used to build them when i was about 12 years old. Was never really serious about it. Didn't have the patience. Any way, after giving in seeing the model at Hobby Lobby and finding great sites like this one, I'm hoping that my new old hobby will stick with me. I'm gong to try to do this build fairly detailed although I'm sure for my first kit in years it won't be prefect. Anyway,I'll post some pics of current progress. Trying to check the body for imperfections and some of the motor done so far.

2012_11_27_20_48_11_46.jpg

Edited by Mike Muncy

Hey man! im from eastern KY too! Nice to see someone else from around here get caught up on models instead of drugs like a sadly large portion of the people in our area.

This site is THE place to be. Unlike some sites, any bickering doesn't last too long or go too far here. We're like one big happy family of adults that like to build models!

Edited by Skydime

I live near Paintsville. Yeah, this is a really good site. You will find a lot of friendly and informative builders here. People build everything from custom Kenworths to stock Model T's on here. They finish them all the way from fgraphics and candies to full on rust and rot.

I have learned a ton in the last year. Reach out and talk to everyone, know the rules, be prepared to learn, and you will really enjoy this place.

Edited by Skydime

Micheal, I'm in the same boat. After a 20+ yr. hiatus I decided to give it another try. I'm having fun with it. I know mine aren't going to be perfect either but that's ok, none ever are. Just have fun and roll with it. Keep us posted. Micheal, my hometown is West Liberty, Ky. ;):D

Edited by Geno

Wow, thanks for the welcome everyone!

Ken, you're closer than i realized, Paintsville is pretty close. Nice to meet some people close by. Do you know of anyone else close by lurking here?

Gene, that's interesting. I've never really been around west liberty much, but that storm earlier this year absolutely devastated that place from what I've seen. I hope if you have family there they're recovering well from it.

Mike, yes they were spared. The tornado missed their home by less that 1/4 mile. Scared them pretty bad though. They are slowly recovering and rebuilding. It'll never be the same though. My shop and our church gathered up a large box truck of items and took down. It was tough to see to say the least.

Mike, I don't really know anyone personally who puts together a lot of kits aside from myself. However, when I used to install Directv, I went into an apartment where this guy probably had about 150 NASCAR kits and they were every general paint scheme car Dale Jr ever had and a few other drivers. He had these really nice displays that were wooden framed glass boxes individually made and connected. There were about 20 on each of four sides and it rotated. I've never seen anything else like it.

On topic, any progress with the Firebird? One thing I might suggest to you is search for the thread called "Back To Basics" involving the build of a 67 Charger. It will really give you an idea just how much can go into a "box stock" build to get it to look realistic.

Btw, pm me if you don't have the tips and tricks to saving money on kits over in Barboursville and Huntington as I assume that was your Hobby Lobby location.

Edited by Skydime

Mike, yes they were spared. The tornado missed their home by less that 1/4 mile. Scared them pretty bad though. They are slowly recovering and rebuilding. It'll never be the same though. My shop and our church gathered up a large box truck of items and took down. It was tough to see to say the least.

Not to threadjack but, Geno, that tornado didn't miss us by much either. We actually left town when we heard it was supposed to come toward us. We got back to the area and went to Salyersville to check on my wife's family. It was horrible. It looked like one of those apocalyptic movies...or like a war zone even. Just tragic.

Edited by Skydime

Same here, the tornado only missed where I live by a few miles. I never would have imagined seeing something like that here...

Anyway, ken I'll check that out. I've gotten very little progress done. Finished the engine, and painted the pullys in the spots I've missed.

I'll check out that thread, it sounds very informative. I also think that's a problem for me. It seems sometimes I spend so much time on here reading, learning, looking at everyone elses work when I need to be working on mine lol.

Yeah, I know about the HobbyTown USA in South Point, my wife like's going to Sam's Club so I do too because I got a place right next door to spend some money...lol and of course the Hobby Lobbys in Ashland and the one by the Huntington mall.

I've also been trying to clean the car up with mold lines and stuff like that by sanding. I don't have any model putty though. What kind would you guys recommend? And where can it be purchased? Like I said, I'm starting back so I'm lacking a few different tools to make good models with...

Here's an update, like I said I finished the motor the other day. Today I got to spray painting some parts. Finished up putting the rear suspension in as well as the exhaust, put the motor in, did a little detailing in the interior. Also primed the body and sanded on it some...been a busy day. I'm kinda wanting to do the carpet flocking in the interior, not sure yet. My only goal really is to get a clean box kit done and right. 2012-11-30_18-50-43_247.jpg

2012-11-30_18-51-49_324.jpg

2012-11-30_18-52-15_308.jpg

I've also been trying to clean the car up with mold lines and stuff like that by sanding. I don't have any model putty though. What kind would you guys recommend? And where can it be purchased? Like I said, I'm starting back so I'm lacking a few different tools to make good models with...

Mike, like anything else on here, you will get a million answers...and there isn't necessarily a wrong one. My answer to general filling is just plain old 3m Spot putty from Walmart or wherever.

Edited by Skydime

Also, may be a silly question, but can I glue the bumpers prior to final assembaly? or will it give me problems trying to put it together? I just hate trying to paint the bumpers by thereself.

With this kit you can put the bumpers on the car before paint, the chassis will slide into place without much problem.

However, in 1:1 scale the bumpers DO have to be removed before paint!

DSCF4932.jpg

Thanks guys. The bumpers are so hard to get lined up right, i was hoping i could throw them on there, prep it some more for paint so i won't have to worry about them. Sorry if the pics aren't the best, but just to let you guys know anything i post its MORE than welcome to criticism. It's the only way to learn.