Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first 70's pro touring challenger

BassMan90

Okay guys here's a look at my first attempt to build a "pro" touring dodge challenger its nothing special or extremely detailed but i'm having fun with it! sorry for the bad pics my camera broke and i'm forced to used my phone. I'll probably try to post some more pics with a working camera. I'm open to any advice, supplies are limited for now

post-10810-0-00287900-1354160973_thumb.j

post-10810-0-50021400-1354161045_thumb.j

post-10810-0-09542500-1354161077_thumb.j

I think for your first try, you are doing an excellent job. Hows the fitment to the body and have you figured out what to do with your interior yet? That was the one BIG thing I didnt think about ahead of time. Ive ended up having to literally scratchbuild an entire interior which is more of a pain in the rear than the entire chassis combined.

I think for your first try, you are doing an excellent job. Hows the fitment to the body and have you figured out what to do with your interior yet? That was the one BIG thing I didnt think about ahead of time. Ive ended up having to literally scratchbuild an entire interior which is more of a pain in the rear than the entire chassis combined.

Thanks man for the encouragement !!! It means a lot! well luckily since I'm restricted on materials right now, I took some measurements of the original "frame" that was on the car. that said luckily the original interior tub still fits nicely onto the frame i'll still have to make the actual bottom of the car that sits between the frame and the interior tub. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to make the real wheel tubs, i should take some pics of them .. I took some sheet styrene and wire tied it to a piece of pvc pipe that was lightly bigger than the wheels and then putting them in boiling water for bout 4 minutes then straight to the freezer they haven't moved a bit since i did that and they are holding their shape quite nicely! what i'm really needing is a set of wheels i have these but they're a little big in the font the backs look sweet, so i've since switched to an old set of "nascar" wheels from an old diecast..

I forgot to add. i had to cut the back half of the interior tub off because of the obvious bigger tires and frame so i only really have the front seat compartment. i'll have to make a tunnel for the drive shaft as well but that will be the easy part compared to the back half :/

well I like the old nascar ones I have but 2 of them are kinda crappy looking so if i used them i'd have to just turn it sideways to display ha. Idk something like that or some old bbs style wheels i doubt i'll have glass in this car (because idk where they are really) but i wanna make it look like an actual racer not just a show car ..

Okay I hope this works had to try to figure out how to add more pics, this being my first posting, anyway what you see(hopefully) are 2 motor options the original which was a 318 that i stripped down and re did to make look like a big block. or a viper v10 both fit nicely actually with plenty of room to do what I have planned for the "under the hood" section. The other is how i made my rear wheel tubs, I didn't take pics while i was making them so i just put the completed tubs back on the pvc pipe and wrapped wire around it so you'd get the idea. and the other is the '41 willy's gasser project that I was working on before I got the idea to do this car! She'll get finished though nothing fancy just a simple build

post-10810-0-03449300-1354204433_thumb.j

post-10810-0-11231500-1354204462_thumb.j

post-10810-0-92336900-1354204478_thumb.j

post-10810-0-19732700-1354204493_thumb.j

For being your first it looks like your really nailing it. I personally really like the stance and wheels you had in the first post and I would agree about the red seats. Keep it up, it's looking good.

Btw, welcome to the site, lots of great projects and people here to learn from.

For being your first it looks like your really nailing it. I personally really like the stance and wheels you had in the first post and I would agree about the red seats. Keep it up, it's looking good.

Btw, welcome to the site, lots of great projects and people here to learn from.

Thanks man, means a lot, yes I would of loved to use them but the holes were too big (if anyone has some wheels they'd be willing to part with i'd sure appreciate it, but they have to fit a normal 1:24 scale rear end like the one that comes in kits. if that makes sense) in them they actually came off of a "dub edition" dicast model car i had years ago (that was a challenger as well, you could say I like mopar) Yeah there's a ton of talent on this site!

Thanks man, means a lot, yes I would of loved to use them but the holes were too big (if anyone has some wheels they'd be willing to part with i'd sure appreciate it, but they have to fit a normal 1:24 scale rear end like the one that comes in kits. if that makes sense) in them they actually came off of a "dub edition" dicast model car i had years ago (that was a challenger as well, you could say I like mopar) Yeah there's a ton of talent on this site!

I know exactly what your talking about. Wish i could help but all the extra wheels and tires I have are from DUB edition cars. Couldnt you just remove some material and run that metal rod through the center of the rear end so you could connect the wheels? You seem talented enough that your building your own frame im sure you could mod it up some how to work. I'm sure there are guys on here that could tell you how to run those wheels. Just start asking around or make a separate post about it. Good luck

I know exactly what your talking about. Wish i could help but all the extra wheels and tires I have are from DUB edition cars. Couldnt you just remove some material and run that metal rod through the center of the rear end so you could connect the wheels? You seem talented enough that your building your own frame im sure you could mod it up some how to work. I'm sure there are guys on here that could tell you how to run those wheels. Just start asking around or make a separate post about it. Good luck

Yeah I Could do that if I had the supplies, I'm just getting back into model building so I'm limited to my supplies I think I'm going to save them for a future project!

Yeah I Could do that if I had the supplies, I'm just getting back into model building so I'm limited to my supplies I think I'm going to save them for a future project!

I feel ya. I'm in the same boat, I recently just got back into it as well. I only have 2 pieces of sand paper, some old nail filers from the wife, pieces of scotch brite pads, glue,and my handy exacto knife. I'm not sure what supplies you think you need but you should be able to just sand it down a bit with some sand paper or chip away at it with the back of your knife. I dunno, just an idea.

N/m I take that back, I just looked at some of the rears I have and you couldn't do that. Thought they were two pieces but they all seem to be one piece. Looks like you would need a small drill bit or something. Sorry bout that, kinda sucks.