Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint removal fail!

here is my problem. i have a body i have been trying to strip for 3 weeks now. i painted it with duplicolor copper plate system and have tried everything i can think of short of brake fluid or sanding. It has sat in a purple pond, La's totaly awesome, simple green, and such. it barely flaked it on the edges where it was thinnest but nothing more than that. Does anybody have any suggestions i can try. I was told brake fluid works very very well but can harm the plastic on some models so i would like to stay away from that if possible.

Household lye.

Read the mixing instructions EXTREMELY CAREFULLY.

Work in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. (NOT your basement).

Wear RUBBER GLOVES( SUITABLE FOR TOXIC MATERIAL HANDLING) and a suitable FACE MASK.

Definitely not stuff to play around with. But it will remove just about anything w/o damaging (most) plastic.

PLEASE just be extremely careful.

Household lye.

Read the mixing instructions EXTREMELY CAREFULLY.

Work in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. (NOT your basement).

Wear RUBBER GLOVES( SUITABLE FOR TOXIC MATERIAL HANDLING) and a suitable FACE MASK.

Definitely not stuff to play around with. But it will remove just about anything w/o damaging (most) plastic.

PLEASE just be extremely careful.

Same chemical as in the SMELLY spray oven cleaner. Spray the model, zip it ib a Ziplock freezer bag and wait overnignt. Keep it warmish. You'll probably have to scrub a lot of the residue off. I use Comet and a bristle brush.

There are SOME hotter paints that won't strip with anything that won't destroy the plastic. Some of the hotter lacquers that soak into, penetrate and craze the plastic surface won't come off, at least in my experience.