Model Cars Magazine Forum

KFS Cat excavator

Anthony, I totally agree, it is cast from a toy, which in fact you can buy for less than $30, so why buy a resin one....

yes, when it did come out a lot of people did jump on it, including me, but when it was realised it was just a toy....

here is what the machine was cast from

file-1.jpg

This is the KFS kit

100_7529.jpg

100_7526.jpg

and like Anthony said, apples and oranges, the KFS kit has many white metal parts, great photo etch , great decals, and is quality castings, no flash, bubbles or problems assembling it,

I would rather spend the extra buying this kit (KFS) as you get what you pay for........ quality

THANKS TONY...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Tony,

Very impressive project, I don't know how I missed this one! The KFS kits certainly build into fine models. I have a couple of the KFS Michigan loading shovels to build some day. Just might have to get one out and start getting some ideas together.

• 2 months later...

Tony,

Very impressive project, I don't know how I missed this one! The KFS kits certainly build into fine models. I have a couple of the KFS Michigan loading shovels to build some day. Just might have to get one out and start getting some ideas together.

Thanks Dave, I have just brought another original cat kit, this one will be super detailed, as a demo machine, with opening panels, I am going to make all the panels in fibreglass so the doors are thin and light, and add all the hydraulic and engine detail, can feel a 3 year project coming on

and yes I would like to see what you come up with for the Michigan, Warren Kostick has converted 2 now, log loader, and a rubbish compactor, both into Cats

Caterpillar should be thankful that people are making models of their stuff. So should freightliner. It's free advertising for Petes sake. The prostar would be a good base for a cat truck here in australia. Kenworth was good to Nigel (auslowe) when he did their T904. I digress.

Great job Tony! Are you still building that 1/16 kenworth that is satin black in colour? Been looking out for it. Cheers

Ben

Caterpillar should be thankful that people are making models of their stuff. So should freightliner. It's free advertising for Petes sake.

Big companies like that don't need the free advertising. The model industry is pretty small on the grand scale of things. Getting 'advertising' isn't worth their time.

• 2 months later...