Model Cars Magazine Forum

30 ford woodys project

budleh

Maybe finish the project I started. :huh:

I was using a Revell Willys as the frame and engine donor, just got sidetracked (short attention span model builder B) ) and haven't done much since the mockup.

24a-vi.jpg

Steve, I'm building one like that using the AMTor old MPC woody body. It's my rat rod woody. ratrodder doug

I was going to build the current AMT reissue as a "Wooden Utility Truck" (basically a "WUT")but screwed it up and I'm going to start again when Revell's 30 comes out.

29FordWUT2.jpg29FordWUT1.jpg

its a 1975 monagram and i shouldn't have opened it but my son(12yrs old) thinks it would be a cool hotrod

Look around on the internet at specialty wood shops. They have sheets of thin veneer wood that can be used for the paneling. The place I found had these packs that were exotic wood, northern american wood, ect. I bought a pack for like $20, which contained about 20 sheets of assorted woods in 12" x 8" sheets with a thickness of about 1/16" or less.

As for the body, I would do a chop with more out of the front than the back. I would probably build a flathead with several carbs or blower and possibly Ardun (flathead-hemi) heads. It is just my opinion, but I would also try to get the tires close to inside the fender on the rear. I would also probably get some whitewall tires.

It is the makings of a cool project. Most importantly, don't give up on it.

Look around on the internet at specialty wood shops. They have sheets of thin veneer wood that can be used for the paneling. The place I found had these packs that were exotic wood, northern american wood, ect. I bought a pack for like $20, which contained about 20 sheets of assorted woods in 12" x 8" sheets with a thickness of about 1/16" or less.

As for the body, I would do a chop with more out of the front than the back. I would probably build a flathead with several carbs or blower and possibly Ardun (flathead-hemi) heads. It is just my opinion, but I would also try to get the tires close to inside the fender on the rear. I would also probably get some whitewall tires.

It is the makings of a cool project. Most importantly, don't give up on it.

That's a good price!

FYI- Another good source for thin wood to use would be a local cigar shop. Ask if they have any of the divider or seperator sheets. They go in between the layers of cigars in the wooden cases. They will probibly give you a bag full for free. They usually just throw them out.