Model Cars Magazine Forum

models at pep boys!?

i went to my local pep boys today because a friend of mine who works there was telling me about how they now have a large performance section now. I must say its pretty impressive for around here because nobody nearby has an in store selection like they have. they have Nos tanks and pluming for it, weind intakes, edelbrock cams, holley and edelbrock carbs, carb tuning parts and kits, water pumps, ingition parts and boxes, pretty good seletion of arp bolt kits and its all right on the shelves. i also noticed while looking around they had a end display full of revelle streetburner series models and a few snaptites. I was just wondering if anybody knows more about this. not that i plan to start buying from them, it just kind of caught me off guard so to speak.

Edited by blueoval92

Revell has been trying 'outside the box' marketing for a few years now. At one time they had merchandisers available for grocery stores and other stores.

If you can believe this, they did something similar in the late 70`s/early 80`s. Well, Monogram anyway. I remember my parents picked up a Pepsi Challenger kit for me at Pathmark way back when. :D

Pep Boys has the best selection of Dupli Color paints by far around here, nearly twice the variety of Autozone/Advance Auto/etc for those who are interested.

I too have a Pep Boys "Speed Shop" store near me. While I can't vouch for model prices ( provided my store carries them now ) but when I bought my Mickey Thompson drag radials on line I only saved about $4 a tire compared to Pep boys....

Edited by FASTBACK340

Art, could you please elaborate on this? If not here, please pm me.

Yeah, I tried Googling that and all I could find was once instance, which could have been more of a single store with a jerk for a manager than a compay wide thing (having been there without having to be in any of the Armed Services, I could believe that.) Even then, the Reservist hadn't really proven much at that time.