Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Peterbilt 359 Large Car

Do I need to put the gold nugget on the back burner and scratchbuild a 1/16 straight jacket for you? And knowing me and my methods, it would be made of used shoelaces and paper.....

You rivet counter.... :D

Gonna be incredible! The effort will pay off!

Edited by olsbooks

Do I need to put the gold nugget on the back burner and scratchbuild a 1/16 straight jacket for you? And knowing me and my methods, it would be made of used shoelaces and paper.....

attachicon.gifinsanity.jpg

You rivet counter.... :D

Gonna be incredible! The effort will pay off!

Jesse,

Yes please......I think that I have a system now. Just walk away from it.

New record for me 39 rivets in 1 hour.

Are we having fun Yet?

Kenny B. :wacko:

Nah.....we will just rename you Rosie the Riveter.....

And for youngsters that dont know the real story. Google it and discover the truth going back to Westinghouse in 1942....not how it has been spun or corrupted over the past 40 years.

This thing is going to be amazing Kenny.

There are some truly fascinating scratch builds going on right now and thankful you guys share and allow us deer in the headlight minions to peek over your shoulders.

Any chance of a youtube of how you are doing these rivets to get them straight and spaced? Did you make a template/jig?

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks for the info on the pin vice, Ken....And you, too, James.....If it's at Hobby Lobby, I'm all over it....I'd rather just pick my tools up for immediate use.....

And, Kenny....My hat's off to you, Man....Like Jesse alluded to....I'd lose my mind on something like that....Just don't have the patience.....Just not here.....You are the Man.....

attachicon.gifrosie.jpg

Nah.....we will just rename you Rosie the Riveter.....

And for youngsters that dont know the real story. Google it and discover the truth going back to Westinghouse in 1942....not how it has been spun or corrupted over the past 40 years.

This thing is going to be amazing Kenny.

There are some truly fascinating scratch builds going on right now and thankful you guys share and allow us deer in the headlight minions to peek over your shoulders.

Any chance of a youtube of how you are doing these rivets to get them straight and spaced? Did you make a template/jig?

Jesse, there isn't much to show it's called a centering ruler and a piece of masking tape.

The holes are drilled every 5 mm.

No fancy jigs here.

Ken. :unsure:

Thanks again.

Anyone thinking of doing rivets might want to give it a second thought.

I'm at the 500 rivets installed mark. How many more???

DSCN2990.thumb.JPG.66f8e43c262a839aa7d9e5d5db9d442d.JPG

DSCN3015.thumb.JPG.78f11c883403adead449082e329aebaa.JPGDSCN3018.thumb.JPG.c61641ca866dd2c7c89a22a747289d4d.JPG

Seeing rivets when I close my eyes.

I have only broken two drill bits. Lucky me.

Kenny B. :blink:

Edited by Kenny B

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing rivets when I close my eyes.

Not sure if this is some form of therapy for you, or if you're going to need therapy when you're done, but it looks great so far. :D

I'd love to see a picture of the centering bar you use, as the rivets all appear to be perfectly spaced.

DSCN2972_zps368c3fae.jpg

Not sure if this is some form of therapy for you, or if you're going to need therapy when you're done, but it looks great so far. :D

I'd love to see a picture of the centering bar you use, as the rivets all appear to be perfectly spaced.

Casey,

All I used was a centering ruler but every hole you drilled took a little off the ruler. I ended up using a stainless steel ruler and about three pieces of tape to hold it down. Drilled the holes every 5 mm on center. Set up time almost took as long as drilling them out.

It was pretty basic but worked well.

You don't have to be crazy to do this........ but it helps.

Total rivets installed todate is 793.

Kenny B B)

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2014 at 10:57 AM, Kenny B said:

Casey,

All I used was a centering ruler but every hole you drilled took a little off the ruler. I ended up using a stainless steel ruler and about three pieces of tape to hold it down. Drilled the holes every 5 mm on center. Set up time almost took as long as drilling them out.

It was pretty basic but worked well.

You don't have to be crazy to do this........ but it helps.

Total rivets installed todate is 793.

Kenny B B)

One more updated pic.

DSCN2972.thumb.JPG.681b85a237fef2fa36fa523122797c36.JPG

Kenny B.

Edited by Kenny B