Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here is my original 66 Fairlane GT that has been done for 38 years.

ViperDave

This 66 Fairlane GT is an original AMT kit. I started it in 68 and used the 68 NHRA rule book to make it fit the class S/SX. That class was kind of an expermintal Super Stock class. What you could do was replace all the body panels with glass or aluminum but had to keep the stock shape. I made the body smooth like it was aluminum. I took off the door handles and the cowl vents along with the wipers. They also allowed a 10% engine set back. That meant that it could be moved back 10% of the wheelbase. I moved the engine back into the firewall. They allowed straight axles and most of all, they allowed a supercharger.

This model was started in 68 and I finished it late in 69 while I was in the Air Force. It took second in some kind of regional contest in Phoenix but I don't remember any name. Do you know what it was. I know there was models from CA, AZ, NM and UT. After I returned home I entered it in a few contest locally and won first everytime. I made a display for it and keep it in a case covered up all this time. It is done old school style and hasn't had any changes to it since. The spark plug wires are still thread.

Thanks for viewing it. Dave

Aug28.07003.jpg

Aug28.07004.jpg

Aug28.07005.jpg

Aug28.07006.jpg

Dave, that's a great looking build that still holds up today! It looks as fresh as today! How does it stack up against the newer tool Amt '66 Fairlane?

I'm not Dave obviously............ :P But I can tell you that the original '66 Fairlane annual was a bit more accurate than the one ERTL released in the '90's. Mainly as far as the body..............particularly the roofline. ERTL goofed on the front and rear window shapes as they are too low compared to the 1:1.

Interestingly, when they released the '67(?) Comet around the same time, they got the window shapes right even though they were based on essentially the same tooling. But they goofed on the Comet's side creases. B) Some have said the grille in the newer Fairlane kit isn't quite riight, but that's subjective as the one I built looks fine to me compared to the 1:1.

The only drawback for the only kit is the one piece/all molded in chassis. But looking at Dave's model......he's certainly overcome that! :D