Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early '60s style C/Gasser........A '51 Studebaker

traditional

PC020535.jpg

PC020516.jpg

I've just finished building this '60s Gasser ('62/'63 NHRA rule book) from a destroyed DM diecast Studebaker Starlight Coupe, bought at a toy show for next to nothing. Since it was missing so many parts including bumpers and vent-windows, and had completely broken suspension, my brother and I decided it might make a cool lower class gasser where, in the early '60s, lots of odd-ball vehicles were still competitive in the gasser class. Later on (later '60s) the gas classes were mostly dominated by the lighter and smaller Anglias and '33 Willys, etc.
Following the '62/'63 NHRA rule book, this Studey takes advantage of all the weight saving and weight transfer opportunities...fibreglass tilt front end, plexiglass windows, lightweight straight front axle, aluminum interior (with basic lightweight upholstery, 10% engine setback, maximum 'body to ground' clearance allowed (rocker panel no higher than center of rear wheel), and engine height limited by a maximum of 24" from ground to center of crank pulley, etc.,etc.
Incidentally, the front axle, steering, and suspension are all fabricated in aluminum, as are the the chassis brackets and traction bars. The complete aluminum interior is also all hand fabricated, as well as all the Chevy engine details....Hilborn injection, headers, wiring, plumbing, fuel lines, etc .
Paint is 'candy blue' basecoat/clearcoat, with lettering done in letraset and hand painting.

PA140294.jpg

PB020394.jpg

PB170456.jpg

PB170461.jpg

PB170459.jpg

Edited by traditional

Great re-build,I would love to see a kit of this.

Agreed.

On FCMA Open 2012, In Finland, Tapani Rauramo had one Bulletnose Studebaker finished, but I don't know where it is built, resin or if it's own conversion.

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Very nice Gasser build. This is what I would build from '51 Studebaker. Your paint job looks very good, detail is excellent and overall look is very clean also. Nice job.

Nice to see a gas class car actually built to NHRA rules. There are far too many model "gassers" out there that are just loose interpretations of the term.

Well done!

+10 on THAT!!!

Well done my friend...a heck of a save and very nice, precise modifications! You should be very proud of that car!

Nice to see a gas class car actually built to NHRA rules. There are far too many model "gassers" out there that are just loose interpretations of the term.

Well done!

Yeah I have to agree. ....Even if I'm a guy who has built many of those "Gassers". But where to get the rules? Personally I have absolutely No Idea about these Old Rules, and I bet someone else has this kind of problem too. That's why we, or at least I, build "Gassers" instead of Gassers. :D

Edited by W-409