Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touchy, Touchy Terms

Guest G Holding

Now someone explain to me why some people pronounce the word "ask" as "ax." Or "asterisk" is "aksterix." Or "etcetera" as "exetera." Or "nuclear" as "nookyoolar." Or "jewelry" as "joolery." Or masonry as "masonary." Or...

"Ebonics" or "Appalachian" ??

Edited by G Holding

My current favorite is "to service", as in "the sales associate will service you now". Having grown up on a farm, that verb has a completely different meaning. For you city boys, a bull services a cow, or a stallion services a mare, a male services a female. On second thought, maybe the new usage is right, we are being serviced, and not even getting a kiss! :P

This has always been one of my favorites and it explains SOOOOO much! What if I'd prefer NOT to be serviced but rather merely served? Oh, and what about these guys who "service" my cars???

I think this thread (where did that term come from...?) has wandered a bit from the "rat rod" query.

Don't we already have a thread for butchery of the already bastardized engrish language?

oops, reread the first post...carry on with the rants. :)

Edited by blunc

How about when you bring your stuff to the checkout counter and the checker says, "Will that be all?"

Yes, that'll be all. That's why I came here to the checkout counter. Because I'm done shopping. :rolleyes:

How about "Do you want fries with that?"

If I had wanted "fries with that" I would have ordered them already!!!!

How about people who go to the tyme machine and use their PIN number to get cash so they can buy a product with a UPC code on it... :P

Fixed it for you...and you're old if you know the acronym. ^_^

Is "down by the lake" a Chicago and/or IL thing, too?

I love it when they ask, 'Is everything Okay?' If you say, "Well, since you asked, the food is cold, it's not what I ordered, and I had to wait too long to get it," their eyes glaze over and they just stare blankly at you and say, "Oh. Okay." :mellow:

And then they kinda walk off. Guess no one trained them what to do if they don't get the automatic warm-fuzzy response they expect. :huh:

I never hear anyone say "down by the lake."

I do hear a lot of "yooze guys" and "dis and dat" and "dese, dem and doze"... :lol:

Then there's the people who say "Chi-caah-go" (like I do) and people who say "Chi-kaw-go."

I'd guess it is a Chicago and/or IL thing, just like "tubing" may just be an Arizona thing.

In Arizona, "tubing" is a warm weather activity that involves; hugely inflated tire inner tubes, people, alcoholic beverages and any river/stream wide enough for them to float on.

Back to a Auto phrase....

Rear Quarter, I thought the rear fenders where quarter panels. Or is a forward fender a front quarter?

4x4, Isn't it really still two wheel drive?

Glove compartment, I prefer to call it a Jockey Box!

Foreign cars have bonnets!

In Arizona, "tubing" is a warm weather activity that involves; hugely inflated tire inner tubes, people, alcoholic beverages and any river/stream wide enough for them to float on.

I thought it was when you put extra wide wheel wells in a car so you could put extra wide tires on it.

:P

Harry---

ATM machine is not correct. ATM is automatic teller machine. ATM machine would then be saying automatic teller machine machine. One of my favorites is when people say they need a new hot water heater. No you don't. You need a water heater. If your water was already hot there would be no need for a heater.

Nick,

I have a new 3/4 ton GMC truck I bought to pull trailers on the farm with hay and tractors on them. I had a dually and the new 3/4 has a higher GVW with the Z71 package. It is a heavy duty suspension package. It is not 4 wheel drive. If you get the 4 wheel drive I believe they automatically include the Z71 suspension package. I think that is the reason for confusion. It has the Z71 decals on the back part of the bed but not 4X4 under it. Man I would love to have a new model kit of this generation of GM trucks.

Althoe I have severial (I'm old and have earned the right to gripe), Muscle Car is my big one. A Chevelle SS 396 or 454 is a Muscle car IF the factory built it, if you put a 454 in a Chevelle that left the factory with a 307 you have a Street Machine. Muscle cars were factory built, not home built.

Edited by Craig Irwin