Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 3D printed truck tires

Has anyone ever had a 3d master made? If so, did you do the artwork, or contract that? Any information would be appreciated. I can think of tons of parts that I would love to design and have "printed". Does anyone know which companies make the "smoother", less porous style parts? Thanks.

Ive had some wheels done, Shapeways is the cheapest and fastest FUD(Frosted Ultra Detail) is your best bet for smooth parts it also depends on the resolution the part was saved in. Higher resolution= smoother part =expensive master= possibly rejected file due to file being too big to upload into system.

pm7ci.jpg

MTD9m.jpg

Exactly the reason why I didn't get mine done, the cost of one to make molds from.

18 bucks is too much to pay for a master?

-MJS

I'm sure the person with this tire and wheel IS NOT selling these items as a master, but as a finished product (check the drop-down for surface/finish options). I was just stating that the FINISHED 3D PRINTED prices are still too high for the average modeler to buy for a build.

Now if this person was to sell his design file to a caster for reproduction in resin, that's a different story, leaving the prices reasonable for the builder (like Joseph has done with his AWESOME Vector wheel B)).

Edited by jeffs396

After viewing this thread I visited shapeways and got a quote, again, for a wheel I drew up in SolidWorks a while back. This time I spedified that FUD material. I got a price I can live with, $3.63. The item is a 1/25th scale Mack 5 spoke wheel rim for big rigs. After the holidays I'm making an order for twelve of them. At that price it's cheaper than making my own from resin. The cost of a kit to pour a mold is more than the cost for printed media. I may try a tire next.

I've had several master models printed for resin casting, as said above just make sure the resolution (number of triangles the stl file is saved as) is high enough and you specify a high-detail material for printing.

I've had wheel inserts done, tires and complete bodyshells B)

Here's the idea

fall122844096.jpg

3D data

Capture.jpg

Cadillacfront2.jpg

And here's the reality, all parts done from 3D masters, including the wheels and tires for the pickup

caddy_pickup_2_8x6.jpg

For the 3D files I either bought it or created it myself, then uploaded it and did the usual route for silicon mold and resin casts. The tires are urethane, what doesn't come across in the photos is the tread pattern and sidewall letters I could do!