Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beall tank trailer

• 4 weeks later...

I've got two, myself...I built one and if I build the other one any time soon, I'll be sure to strip the chrome....That model was really annoying....I'd be willing to trade it for another Volvo VN780, though...Or even one of those AMT dumper tri axle dumpers...

Edited by kilrathy10

what I did on my Beal tanker was clear coat it first on all the chorme I wanted to keep , Also remember not just the cost oil drives up the price but also import taxes dont help either . I found a site the other day current AMT issuses ofo trucks and trailers are going for over 100 bucks

Hi Guys,

Any one who has build ups of the Beal tanker - PLEASE POST PHOTOS! I have two of these kits that will eventually become tractor drawn fire service tankers.

what I did on my Beal tanker was clear coat it first on all the chorme I wanted to keep , Also remember not just the cost oil drives up the price but also import taxes dont help either . I found a site the other day current AMT issuses ofo trucks and trailers are going for over 100 bucks

Richard,

Can you explain how you did your clear coat and what you used? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

100_5279_zpsbed5b04c.jpg I built this quite a while back...Gave me a buttload of trouble....Also, it's true oil prices impact the price of plastic drastically, but when you see the price of the 1/16 scalers and the snap kits, it makes you wonder what gives....I know they have to make money, but it's just tough to get used to when we all know what it cost years ago when we got into the hobby...

Edited by kilrathy10

100_5279_zpsbed5b04c.jpgI built this quite a while back...Gave me a buttload of trouble....

JT,

What kind of trouble specifically? I remember that "the magazine that doesn't like to be mentioned" had a build review article when the kit was originally released that told of the "problem areas" and ways around them. I did have the article "somewhere"... I am hoping that it is stashed with the kits in storage... By the way, if you really don't want your other one, I am sure we could work something out... :D

Edited by hooknladderno1

As long as there are model kits there will be debates and complaints about pricing. Remembering how much kits used to cost is like hearing your grandpa tell the story of how gas used to be 10 cents a gallon. People say they would gladly pay X amount for a new kit or a long lost reissue but when the time comes and the price is listed there are always complaints. Before the Lonestar was released someone posted about wanting the kit to have 2 frame lengths, 3 engines, day cab options and other things. Well then you are looking at a $300 kit. Yet sticker shock sets in at the $70 price tag. Not trying to start a war here. Just some observations.

Another thing to remember is the ROG and Italeri kits are foreign kits. If you really want sticker shock check out what some of the curbside Tamiya kits go for. All that international shipping gets factured in to our cost.

Hookanladder I used Plasticoat on my tankerand left what I wanted chrome on the sprue I probably put two coats of clear on every thing i will post a pic of mine when I can find it

Richard,

At the risk of ruining an expensive kit, do you recall if you used the enamel or lacquer? I would think that the enamel would be safer, but also softer over the chrome. Any suggestions? Thanks.