Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Plymouth Belvedere (Christine)

HNTR

Nice build...And from what I understand, Round 2 is going to re-release this kit with all parts and without corrections. It will be billed as Christine and will have movie related pictures on the box. However, I just don't see the point in paying the extra for the copywrite loyalties or whatever they are called.

all the parts? theres more than 1 version of this kit?

all the parts? theres more than 1 version of this kit?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that all of the parts contained in the AMT 58 Belvedere kit will be in the Christine kit. It is supposed to be a direct repop of the original.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it were rebilled as a 58 Plymouth Fury to match the intention of the movie.

The corrections comment refers to the incorrect roofline and the infamously crooked side trim that takes a nasty hook right in the middle.

Edited by Skydime

I also wouldn't be surprised if it were rebilled as a 58 Plymouth Fury to match the intention of the movie.

Being a huge fan of the movie, I've always seen this as a bit of a contentious issue. The Fury was only ever released in a shade of beige, and had a gold grille, plus gold on the side "spearline". Although Christine's engine is almost definitely from a Fury, I've always considered her body a Belvedere, since she has no gold on her at all. The only real difference between a Belvedere and a Fury was the engine and the gold trim, plus the Belvedere's options for different colours.

I do belive the 318 CID with dual 4 bbl carbs(290 HP) was available in the whole plymouth line. As for the 350 CID single 4 bbl (305 HP)was also available in the whole line. My dad had 1958 Belvedere with a 318 CID w/single 4 bbl. The car was pretty fast in its day, didn't like the two tone green that it was painted. Dad had it repainted 1960 Plymouth robin egg blue with white top and side spire in about 1964.I hate to see it go in 1967(sold it $50.00). Dad worked for Chrysler then and bought a factory car(1965 Plymouth Sport Fury lite blue with blue interior(426W w/auto). Got my licsences in that car 16 yrs of age, made me stop driving it two weeks later after burning the rear tire off it.

Being a huge fan of the movie, I've always seen this as a bit of a contentious issue. The Fury was only ever released in a shade of beige, and had a gold grille, plus gold on the side "spearline". Although Christine's engine is almost definitely from a Fury, I've always considered her body a Belvedere, since she has no gold on her at all. The only real difference between a Belvedere and a Fury was the engine and the gold trim, plus the Belvedere's options for different colours.

I've never read the book. But from what I understand, she was a custom ordered Fury with Belvadere colors. However, I also read somewhere on here that the book is confusing because it refers to this same car as both a two door and a four door. :blink: The movie just rolls with the idea that she was a custom ordered two door Fury. I actually think I remember seeing the gold trim and whit(ish) paint on all the other cars on the assembly line at the beginning of the movie. It's been a couple years since I have watched it last.

Edited by Skydime