Model Cars Magazine Forum

1921 Olds 4-cylinder

This is a '22 Olds model 43 engine. Does it look like yours? I believe the Hillbillies car started as a model 46, and I don't know the differences. If the engine in the kit has a valve cover and exhaust manifold similar to this, it's a good bet it's the same engine design.

EDIT: Apparently, the model 46, which the Hillbillies car is supposedly based on, had an L-head V8. If it's a 4-cylinder in your kit, it almost HAS to be the model 43 shown below, assuming Barris, the builder of the TV car, actually used an old Oldsmobile engine.

286191-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Beverly Hillbillie's Truck is a 1921 Oldsmobile Model 43A, which could be had with either the 4-cylinder (made by Northway, IIRC) or a new V8 engine. In a book I once had, by George Barris in which he described the various TV and movie vehicles they built, the BHB truck wasn't modified particularly, rather just cleaned up, engine given a tuneup, and the various props added to it. It is a 4-cylinder car, actually and still exists, in the the Ralph Foster Museum on the campus of The College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Missouri.

Art